To continue fading or stop the madness!!!

by OnTheWayOut 54 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have this concern about fading. My fade is calculated and very successful as far as
    avoiding a judicial committee for apostacy. I faded fast, but have avoided arguments
    with any elders on doctrine. That wasn't easy. I dropped service quickly and wasn't
    hounded by the BOE to get out there. I dropped meetings altogether at the right
    time, and haven't been bothered by the BOE. It's been great seeing that they have
    no answers, and I think it's helped the wife to see that they really don't do their jobs.

Here's my concerns- my mother is not totally aware of the extent of my fade. I have
    told her things, but she puts her blinders on and acts like everything is fine. I told her
    I didn't go to the DC, I told her I stepped aside as an elder because of differences with
    the WTS way of doing things. My mother just seems to forget that, and act like I am
    a faithful JW and everything is fine. If I push any, I will blow the fade. I cannnot tell her
    the things I know and maintain a fade.

While my wife is really fully knowledgeable about my concerns and the fade (except I
    don't read apostate literature directly in front of her or post to JWD while she is in the room
    to look over my shoulder) and she ignores it like the 800 pound gorilla in the room. We
    occasionally have words where I do speak quite freely, but they are getting less and less
    frequent.

If I were to stop pretending, I could easily get a JC started up as soon as the elders want
    to shepherd me (assuming these guys ever do). I could speak to my mother's husband and
    I know I could convince him in about 30 minutes that his wife is in a mind-control cult. Even
    if she feels duty bound to shun me, her husband would keep in contact for her. The problem
    there would be that he would try to jerk her out of the religion, confirming her notion that the
    world is in Satan's control, and that the JW's were right about all that demon/Satan/fear stuff.

I feel that my wife would see my sincerety and the poor treatment from the elders, but again
    there is that "Satan's control" stuff. She might dig in to her faith deeper than before.

Recently, many have praised my fading efforts and asked for my advice. As you can see, I am
    a mess like the rest of you. I fade for my wife and mother, and do it so they don't get deeper into
    the JW's. I don't have all the answers. I want to end the fade, but find it might be worse if I do
    so. I would love to get involved in local politics (not as a candidate, but involved) and while I am
    no longer desirous of a "spiritual life," I would enjoy partying on holidays and joining in festivity
    with non-JW family. I can do some of that, but only on the sly side. I would enjoy going to
    apostafests and meeting the exJW's freely- even planning trips to do so. I cannot do the latter
    things mentioned at this time. I have sneaked here and there to meet a few of you, but that's it.

So, I will probably keep fading and allow the madness to continue. I post much because I am
    bitter much. I was writing a book on fading called FADING FROM THE TRUTH: ESCAPING
    FROM JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES WITHOUT LOSING YOUR FAMILY. I decided to drop the book.
    I cannot recommend fading to a large number of you. Even if the book was successful, I would
    have to hide my authorship. (By the way, those of you who submitted your lifestories, sorry I
    cannot complete the effort. Feel free to post them with or without the anonymous factor I put in.)

Two of my biggest helps were Garybuss and Johnny Cip who basically told me how I should walk
    away without fear of losing my wife. It would be a marital problem and not a religious one if my wife
    ratted me out. Well, she didn't rat me out. But often it will happen, so how can I write to others that
    they can avoid that happening. I forget who it was specifically that helped me to see that I didn't
    have to have a confrontation with my BOE, but generally the entire JWD did that for me, so as I
    recommend that for others, it is not of my own originality.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I hope people like Flipper and Open Mind see that I am a mess just like
    everyone else (some more, some less). You can take my advice when it fits, but really, I don't know.

This rambling was necessary for my sanity. Mainly because of my putting the book aside (of which I
    have written a few chapters already) Your comments are greatly appreciated.

• unique1
    unique1

Sorry, I have no advice except to say good luck and you are among friends. Hang in there.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Seems like you've done things rather successfully, congratulations on that.

One day I think it will seem very clear what to do, and the cost will be worth it to you. When you start thinking of the options a new life affords, it almost makes you giddy, even with the dear price.

Bon chance!

• Mum
    Mum

There's no avoiding "the madness" in or around the Watchtower world. In your position, I would write two lists of pros and cons, give myself as much time as needed to decide which fits my priorities better, and go with it.

It used to be easier. My heart goes out to all of you who are trying to get out with minimal damage.

Regards,

SandraC

• minimus
    minimus

OTWO, ( ((((( )))) )

I know how you feel. My mom's in. She and I have had some very good conversations but I can only go so far. I've faded mostly due to her.

As much as I respect others views regarding your situation being a "marital problem" as opposed to a "religious one", I very much disagree. If my mother got freaked out over my full blown apostate attitudes, would that mean I've got a "family problem" and that's it?? I wish we could put things in nice little boxes and be done with it. But most persons don't interact that way. When families----spouses, parents, children and extendec relatives and very good friends BELIEVE things in a certain way----perhaps all their life, it's not so easy to think that they don't take things personally. Don't forget that people are people. They feel hurt, anger, betrayal and so forth---even if it's not always warranted.

My suggestion: Fade until you truly feel that IT ISN''T WORTH IT. If that time comes, you'll know you've done the right thing.

• Serg
    Serg

Hi OnTheWay...

I am also in a very slow fade only I was never an elder. I cannot make it too obvious to my wife since she already senses my apostate leanings. She call me "apostate" sarcastically when I sometimes subtly raise question with some WT dogma like Armagedon for instance. The other night for example we were watching some richey show on vh1 and one of those rich kids came on saying that they had tried going out on the work force and did the whole lunch in the cubicle thing and really thought it was not for them as they continued their partying life. My wife of course got mad at this and expressed it outwardly with a little JW-ism saying "...not for long, wait till Armagedon comes, you ain't going to be able to do THAT anymore, its going to be MY turn!" then I turn to her and say "exactly when IS that going to be? do you realize when Armagedon comes (she thinks I still hold my 2034 Armagedon theory) that kid will probably be in his 50's. Who's to say Armagedon will come at all or even in our life time!" She sure didn't like hearing that and just brushed it off saying "ok Mr.Apostate!" So I'm just taking it as slow as I can for now.

Like this week we had the CO visit but since we hadn't been in a while she totally forgot and so today she is doing her hair (highlights which take longer) so hopefully she gets out late enough so I can put a good excuse that its a little too late to go. I sure don't want to have to endure another CO talk and seeing everyone "on their best behavior" and "getting pumped up" from the CO talks.

As for your book, I say keep up with it as you fade and finalize your fade. You may more than likely have a change of heart once you have reached your total freedom from the Matrix.

Peace.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

OTWO

Thanks for sharing feelings about your fade - I can identify with much from you post. I have weeks when I feel very trapped and in a mess - somehow I get through them - that really gives me confidence in life and the drive that we have to get through bad times.

I have interacted with my hubby in a similar way to you and found that it has been successful for us. The downside of course is all the pretending one has to do. Maybe that too will lessen with time.

take care and best wishes to you in your ongoing fade

ql

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    As much as I respect others views regarding your situation being a "marital problem" as opposed to a "religious one", I very much disagree.

Thanks Minimus (and everyone). That issue cannot really be summed up in a sentence or two.
    It is really part of my concern. Some have looked to me as an example of fading and keeping the
    marriage intact. I just might have been the lucky one, or in the future it could change.

I don't want to debate the "marital / religious problem." While I worked to keep my marriage intact
    above all else, it just won't always work out that way no matter what efforts we put into it. So I
    disagree with Minimus, but I know in reality that he is often correct on that.

Even when your spouse doesn't rat you out, people need to expect the BOE to put pressure on that
    spouse to find something judicial they can use. Pressure from "people appointed by God's spirit"
    can cause the most loyal husband or wife to cave.

I would say, let's not get sidetracked by this subtopic, but it really is part of the main focus here.
    The fade is to keep family relations intact.

• Open mind
    Open mind
    I hope people like Flipper and Open Mind see that I am a mess just like everyone else (some more, some less).

AHA!! I knew it! We're all crazy, just some more than others depending on the day of the week.

It really is a roller-coaster ride from one day to the next. That's why I think this place is a life and sanity-saver.

Ramble on whenever you feel the urge OTWO. Any advice you've given in the past has been valuable because it's given along with many other poster's perspectives as well.

Peace out.

Open Mind

• minimus
    minimus

When I very slowly but logically expressed to my wife and daughter what I knew of the "Truth", they got it! They realized the whole thing was indeed a sham. Not long after, we got divorced and we're on pretty good terms. Staying in for your wife or leaving altogether for you doesn't guarantee anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit