Is it possible to have an unbiased opinion on this Question:

by freeme 12 Replies latest jw friends

• freeme
    freeme

The immorailty...

What is more likely:

a) The immorality of the world is the result of evolution, since individuals with an high sex drive will have more offspring...

OR

b) The immorality of the world was introduced because Adam&Eve ate a forbidden fruit and obeyed an evil angel?

I think its impossible to have an unbiased opinion.

freeme

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Define immorality. Thats a subjective matter of opinion in and of itself.

Sherry

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

You might as well (first, actually) wonder where the notion of moralitycomes from...

And, while you are at it, ask yourself whether or how an opinion can possibly be unbiased.

• freeme
    freeme

@Sherry

Of course immorality in the sense of JWs...

@Narkissos

Sorry, thats not my question. Of course morality is another interesting question and i have an opinion on it too. And okay, yes, an opinion cannot be unbiased. But the act of getting it might be. Like having two unlabeled glasses of coke in front of you without knowing pepsi and cokes taste and choose with one tastes better.

And thats the point. You cannot choose between "comes from evolution" and "comes from mythology" unbiased, because i believe you dont think about this question in the first place without having an biased background. Its the problem of faith and things that cannot be proven.

• eclipse
    eclipse

My opinion, as biased as it is, is this:

The only thing that is immoral when it comes to sex, is when one person forces their body, in any way shape or form, on someone else, or a minor.

Humans are mammals. We are by nature, sexual beings, with the instinct to reproduce (the majority at least), and to 'mate'. Some humans are monogamous. Some prefer multiple partners. To each their own. As long as both parties are consenting adults, I see no reason why organization or religion should tell anyone else who they are allowed and not allowed to have sex with.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

freeme:

And thats the point. You cannot choose between "comes from evolution" and "comes from mythology" unbiased, because i believe you dont think about this question in the first place without having an biased background. Its the problem of faith and things that cannot be proven.

OK then, let's try to imagine what would happen if you could have an unbiased opinion. Say a Martian visits our planet knowing nothing about it and with no prejudices. He observes that humans enjoy have sex, and want to have sex mostly with young healthy members of the opposite sex, and that while they are mostly monogamous, a lot of secretive polyamory goes in. This is what you call immorality but our Martian visitor would not label it such. We don't know exactly what sort of conclusion he will come to, but at some point he will likely consider the idea that sex is responsible for reproduction and that those who have sex in the manner described above are likely to reproduce more. He will certainly see that similar patterns of behaviour abound in the animal kingdom. One thing it is almost certain that will never even cross our Martian friend's mind is that thousands of years ago somebody ate an apple thereby resulting in them having a close to optimal sex drive.

We may not be able to eliminate our biases but it seems fairly obvious that any truly unbiased observer examining the evidence would most likely come to a conclusion similar to the standard Darwinian one, and would never, ever, ever even imagine something as laughably simplistic and irrelevant as the Genesis account.

• lesterd
    lesterd

Its the opposit of morality...it involves a lot more than sex.

Wikipedia: Morality (from Latin moralitas "manner, character, proper behaviour") refers to matters of right and wrong, or "good and evil". Whilst 'morality' and 'ethics' are broadly interchangeable terms, 'morality' usually refers to the actual principles held as authoritative in governing correct behaviour. By contrast 'ethics' more commonly refers to the systematic philosophical study of these principles,

Its a code of ethics that governs our decision making, how it evolves is how you feed it .

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Ask Larry Craig.

• changeling
    changeling

What is moral and who defines it?

changeling

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Everybodies biased. Everyones working an angle, playing a game. That's life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit