Admiting Mistakes/Poor Judgements?

by choosing life 17 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

Do you find it hard to admit mistakes oe even just incidents of poor judgements on your part? Most of the time I do not have trouble, but occassionally I am more reluctant. What makes it so important to us, that we become stubborn and refuse to bend?

They talked about the Virginia Tech. shootings on tv. The lady they interviewed just wanted an apology from the university, nothing more. Why is it that a sincere apology helps more than anything for some people?

I wonder what it is that we are protecting? The ego? If only we could just choose to ignore the ego, merely being amused by it at times. To let down the self preservation walls and choose not to react or be affected. Then mistakes or poor judgements just are, they carry no significance to us.

I still understand the dilemna of admitting mistakes, but I realize it is time to just let them be. What about you?

• RAF
    RAF

I still understand the dilemna of admitting mistakes, but I realize it is time to just let them be. What about you?

Me too ... because it is way more simple (why bothering to refute, denying, lying, ... whatever) I mean if there is energy to wast its better to put it into something positive.

• changeling
    changeling

I used to have a problem admiting fault. Ove the years I've grown to see that that was my wounded pride talking.

A sincere apology can go a long way.

It can offer comfort to the recipient and peace to the giver.

changeling

• choosing life
    choosing life

RAF<

It does take a lot of energy, doesn't it? Better used elsewhere.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

What do you mean? I never make mistakes or use poor judgement! JK of course.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Changeling,

A sincere apology does go a long way on both sides. Lately, I have just been wondering why on the most basic level? I am all for them, just trying to disect the human response to them. Ramblings of the mind, I suppose.

• changeling
    changeling

I think it's validation. An apology says "you were right" or "I'm an ass", and makes the recipiant feel important.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I don't have a problem (usually) admitting a mistake or bad judgement on my part.

It doesn't make sense to not take responsibility for these things because that's how you and others are able to move on.

I do have a BIG problem with people who won't admit these things though. It makes it difficult for me to move on.

I really believe in personal responsibility and accountability. We are only human,(although I have at times been refered to as a GODDESS), we all make mistakes.

• BrentR
    BrentR

From a legal standpoint it's admitting fault so that is why we don't see it much on an istitutional level now. Our whole country is running paranoid of law suits now that the attornies are running the show.

• flipper
    flipper

We seem to live in a society that is bent on not accepting responsibility for anything it does, mistakes or whatever. It is that way from the president on down to our personal lives at times.

I certainly understand the lady wanting an acknowledgement from Virginia Tech University officials, especially knowing the current information that there should have been more complete action of informing the teachers and students. Could have prevented needless deaths. I have a son in a university, and if there had not been proper protection and he was dead, believe me I would be wanting an apology or more, you can count on that

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit