Penny pinching hints and tips

by Junction-Guy 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Take only quaters to the strip clubs, and if you only have paper money ask the strippers to make change

• dobbie
    dobbie

there is a website www.cookingbynumbers.com which is good if you haven't much cash to go out food shopping and lots of useless looking basics in your cupboards/fridge, you put in what items you have and it bring up different recipes using those items.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Some of you asked for the "Brooke's I Owe You" money saving system!

Here it is:

I OWE YOU!

What you need!

2 Large Envelopes – “Cash” and “IOU”! You will want to label them.

Savings Bank Account: Do not use the bank you already go to. You'll need a “NEW” bank that you'll only use for savings(Not Checking!) Make sure this savings account will not let you access the funds through a ATM/Debit Card of any sort!

Getting Started:

Cash Envelope: Everyday go into your wallet pull out every “$1” dollar and “$5” dollar bills, put into envelope. Also, when you are in a position of paying for an item,(food, etc) never use any bill under $10. Never ever use 1's or 5's again! Add your change too! Everyday add all your change to this folder, as well as the cash explained above!

IOU Envelope: Every week you owe yourself $25-50.00! Every week! Write out a check, or go through a ATM and pull out this amount(which ever you can afford). Don't slip and say I'll add it for next week. Do it every week!

Also, you have to add all the money you save – through coupons, store savings etc etc etc. Example you have a coupon to save $0.40, sure you'll use it, but do you save it? NO! It's called you “pocket” the money. There is a difference between “pocket saving and money saving”. You'll never notice the $0.40, but lets add it up, shall we? If you save $0.40 a week -that's $20.80 a year. Save $20.00 a year? Big Deal, right? Wrong – Shut up and keep listening to me!!!!!!!

Now, every Friday, you'll go into the bank(EVERY FRIDAY). You will deposit this money! Take each envelope that includes:

Change!

$1 and $5 dollar bills!

$25-50.00 per week!

All of your Coupon and Stores Savings!!!!(the store savings will tell you on your receipt of how much you saved)

Let's get crafty and add this all up!

$0.63(average) a day. Yearly = $229.95

1's and 5's! Lets say your collecting 12 a week! Yearly = $624.00

Personally owning yourself $25-50.00 a week? Let's say $35.00 (average). Yearly = $ 1,820.00

Coupons and Store savings! Average $3.50 weekly. Yearly = $182.00

Grand Total: $2,855.95!!!!!!

That's almost $3,000 a year you're saving by not changing your lifestyle at all! Most people save money by pocketing it and never really seeing the cash on the table. Go out to eat, purchase the IPOD if you want, but you “OWE” yourself money every week! Picture yourself as another bill that you have to pay.

Want to save more? Anytime you come to extra cash such as Anniversary, Birthday, Christmas, or Tax Return etc etc etc – put it in the Savings Bank Account! Or, instead of going out to eat or buying a huge unneeded purchase – throw that “Wanted” items “cash” into the saving account. Adds up!

I know, you'll be running to the bank every week and it may look stupid giving them tons of change or 1's and 5's – believe me it looks stupid - I know. However, look at it this way, $0.78 a day is 284.70 a year. All you have to do is try it for 90 days – after 90 days, look at the amount in the account and you will never go back to pinching pennies again!

Now saving $3,000 a year or more(not going through any hardships resulting in lack of money) you will be able to buy a car in 5 years with cash, or a nice down payment on a house!

People may think I am an idiot or a complete genius(I say genius), but at the age of 23 I had close to $30,000 saved up for my 1 st house. My cousins use this system and one of them gave his parents $50,000 in cash for their current home. It takes will power. After doing this, its actually fun – like a game in a way.

I hope those that use this ”I OWE YOU” system will see the benefits from it! Plus, you can alter some of this. Example ; Monday go to the bank etc.

Brooke

p.s. Here you all thought I was stupid....hahaha

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i'm confused about the iou envelope. why am i pulling money out of the bank?

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

The IOU Envelope!

Yes, you are pulling money out of the bank, but you are putting the money into another bank - a savings account! This money you are not using - AT ALL! This is saving money.

As I said above, you need a "New" bank for your "New" savings account.

Brooke

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Excellent tips Brooke!!

Thanks for sharing those.

BB

• rebel8
    rebel8

I use ING and I get a much better interest rate than the regular bank. They have a program where you can refer your friends and earn cash—the friend gets free cash too.

I avail myself of every single frigging employee benefit possible. I even combine personal errands with business travel so I can get reimbursed for the mileage. (I do not charge my employer for the time spent doing personal errands though.)

Whenever I buy something online, before I cash out, I search Google for “coupon code (name of store)”. This wk I’ve saved $40 so far.

When I need to hire a contractor or buy something major, I always get 3 estimates.

I have been selling stuff like crazy on Craigslist…....stuff I can’t use but someone else can. I’ve made $100 in the last few weeks and freed up some space too.

Dried beans are very cheap and can be flavored endless ways. Whole grains are very cheap too. Textured vegetable protein is very cheap, healthy, and doesn’t spoil. It’s tasteless so you can add it to dishes or flavor it however you want. A pressured cooker was a $-saver for me in the long run.

Use your public library.

Substitute some of your more costly entertainment choices for free festivals & concerts.

I use a no-annual-fee credit card that gives me free Amazon.com gift certificates.

I enrolled (free) in Delta Skymiles and have flown all over the place for free. Stuff I buy online gets me free miles.

I visit fatwallet.com forums regularly & order things I can use.

• bsmart
    bsmart

I now check my grocery store online for 'personal prices'. They give you a discount on things you will likely buy anyway and of course you will use their loyalty card. I use their credit card too and get a discount on gas with the card also. I always pay the credit card every month!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Good ideas, I am always looking to save money.

I regularly shop thrift stores and garage sales, mostly for my business, but you would be amazed at what you can find. I just picked up an antique clock for $10 that I can sell on EBay for two or three hundred dollars. I got three old Windows for free, fixed then up and sold them for $35 a piece. This is my business, but you can also find many things for yourself as well. It's not for everyone, but if you enjoy the thrill of the hunt it can't be beat for bargains. And no demon attackers yet, lol.

I also find clothes, it's hit or miss but occasionally I get lucky. Some woman was cleaning her closet out, selling things, some never worn, for two dollars apiece. You never know what you are going to find, so think about future needs, emergency supplies, etc. I found an entire maternity wardrobe for my daughter-in-law, I noticed the woman was her size and coloring, so took a risk and everything fit perfectly. Infant clothing is easy to find, most people get more than they need as gifts and often they have never been used, babies grow up so quickly.

I cut up damaged clothing to use for cleaning, and also refinishing furniture for my business.

I mostly get books at the library, otherwise I buy them for my Kindle. The Kindle fire HD is only $130 right now. It's not just a reader, it does most things any tablet can do, the size is very convenient. It's a lot faster to get going than a PC, so it's handy for doing quick look ups. I use it 90% of the time.

I use a swifter type mop, but get the permanent pads instead of throw away. I bought two pads, when I am done I just toss it in the washer. I just got the kind with the attached floor cleaning tank. It's well worth the extra money as it applies the just the right amount of cleaner, and is much more convenient. I bought a floor cleaner concentrate at Home Depot that is substantially cheaper than the pre-mixed solution.

Food is hard as we have expensive tastes and I buy organic whenever possible and eat gluten free. My Costco has good prices on organic milk, eggs, butter, coconut oil and gluten free flours. I can also get the fancy cheeses that my husband demands much cheaper than even Trader Joe's. If I can't use it all up before spoiling I put some in the freezer. I make most of my meals from scratch, it saves money and tastes better and I can control what goes into it, no cheap, unhealthy ingredients. I make my own granola, it's easy and tastes better, I use honey instead of sugar and a much smaller amount, add whey to make it higher protein. I can make my own salad dressing also.

Pinterest is awesome for money saving ideas. They have recipes for homemade versions of just about everything from cleaning products to cosmetics. It's also a great source for food recipes.

I bought two boxes sets of glass storage containers with plastic lids, so I use less foil, plastic wrap and glad bags, it's an outlay upfront, but I will save money in the long run and I have less chance of the plastic migrating into my food.

I used to use Teflon pans but no matter how careful I was they wore out in a few years. I finally went back to cast iron, it lasts forever, once it is well seasoned food doesn't stick anyway.

Crock Potts are great for cheap tasty eating. Make double and freeze half.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

For some really good tips on saving money around the house when it comes to cooking and other things, check out the web site called

Hillbillyhousewife.

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit