Penny pinching hints and tips

by Junction-Guy 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks for all your tips.

Here is something I used to do when I was surviving on minimum wage.

I used to buy cheap tennis shoes at Dollar General, they were white leather/vinyl. Once the shoes became dull looking, I would take Easy Off oven cleaner and wipe them clean with a rag, the shoes would look almost brand new again.

And yes Im cheap.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My husband is in the reserves. We use the commissary, which saves a lot of money. We get very affordable life insurance for me that we have purchased through the AF. I freecycle in both directions. I love to read, and am not shy about garage sales, thrift stores etc. to get books and other items. I have very little use for $dollar stores, they are a good place to buy things you don't really need. Online bill paying is free and easy. From past experience, I have always been happier with second hand cars than new ones. Not icky old ones, but good, newer dependable cars that are what I need. Just don't smell brand new. I have had better luck with maintenance on them also. Find a mechanic you can trust, if you know you can't do it yourself.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My husband is in the reserves. We use the commissary, which saves a lot of money. We get very affordable life insurance for me that we have purchased through the AF. I freecycle in both directions. I love to read, and am not shy about garage sales, thrift stores etc. to get books and other items. I have very little use for $dollar stores, they are a good place to buy things you don't really need. Online bill paying is free and easy. From past experience, I have always been happier with second hand cars than new ones. Not icky old ones, but good, newer dependable cars that are what I need. Just don't smell brand new. I have had better luck with maintenance on them also. Find a mechanic you can trust, if you know you can't do it yourself.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

NEVER pay retail

Get acquainted with the local thrift shops

Don't eat out too much

Give up alcohol and cigarettes

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Turn off and unplug any electrical appliances when they aren't in use. Dont' have your place lit up like a airport runway strip, if you aren't in a room, turn off the light.

Like some of the posters mentioned, don't throw out food, make a sauce, cake, muffins, something with it. Buy staple groceries in bulk, canned tomatoes, flour, vanilla. Saves from paying a large price for a small bottle or package more often.

Cut down on long distance plans, cell phone plans, cable by bundling a package.

Buy clothes at the end of the season, pretty much everything will be on sale.

I color my own hair, I am not paying 100.00 for what I can do for 8.00.

Actually, hmm, forget this, I'ma going find me a rich man, and get spoiled!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Maybe I will find me a rich woman-LOL

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Good plan Junction!

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

hey scully, about the banana bread. I always use ripe bananas for that or smoothies. I sometimes have issues with my banana bread being a bit dry. I think my oven runs hotter than advertised on the dial. Any suggestions (I am using a recipe from Joy of Cooking).....???? (and yes, this bachelor actually can cook and bake, at least from a recipe)

back to the topic....as for other money saving tips. I have been thinking about buying a new car. My current one just got paid off in June. 5 years old 150,000 miles (bought brand new)..... starting to show its age. Before I started down that path, I took the car to have it detailed today. $150. All day job...they shampooed the carpets and upholstery, degreased the engine and compartment, detailed everything.... that car looks nearly new. Bet it would have added $1000+ to the resale value had I been selling it. Nope, not trading it in or selling it after all... its all clean again.....$300+/month saved...

if you like to eat out and like to try new restaraunts (US only as far as I know), try this web site: http://www.restaurant.com/ Once you sign up (no fee), you can get access to tons of restaurants buy buying discount certificates (usually $25 certificate face value for $10...usually have to buy $35 worth of food..but still, $35 worth of food for $20....good deal)...but in my email today they are offering $25 certificates for $4. THIS IS LEGIT. Pay for it online and print it out on your printer and take it to the restaurant. I have used it before to try an Indian restaurant. great way to try new places/cuisines.

SnakesInTheTower (of the "loves to eat, loves to eat cheaply" Sheep Class)

• PEC
    PEC

http://www.restaurant.com/ is a joke, it is not ready for primetime, there was a total of one restaurant on the list in a 5 mile radius of me. I live in San Diego, CA, Google maps shows more than 750 restaurants in that 5 mile radius.

Philip

• HAL9000
    HAL9000
    Turn off and unplug any electrical appliances when they aren't in use. Dont' have your place lit up like a airport runway strip, if you aren't in a room, turn off the light.

Also turn appliances OFF not to standby. Walk around the house & look at all those little red lights telling you "wasting power".

Replace incandescent lights with the new fluoro types: you can get compact fluoros now that replace those little halogen lamps that eat power.

h9k aka "Prince of Darkness"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit