How accurate can the Bible really be?

by Snoozy 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

So basically...

...We should start out with faith - as strong as possible. That's the foundation. Faith in Christ, and faith that the Bible is the word of God. The Bible should be the authority we hold up high. That's where we should start out. "The Bible is the word of God".

If we then find scripture that supports that faith, that's great, and we should cherish it. However, if we find scripture that's confusing, or seems to be contradicting, or does not agree with scientific findings, or something like that, we should disregard or forget those things, or pray for more faith in order to understand it. If we don't find an answer anyway, we should have faith that God will reveal the truth about it in due time.

Or - if we have faith, we also have fear of God, and so we would never question passages in the Bible in the first place.

Some read the Bible without faith in order to find faults in it. These people cannot understand what is written, because they are not guided by spirit since they don't have faith. However - those who do have faith and do understand the scripture, cannot simply explain how the scripture makes sense to those who do not have faith, because it's... more complicated than that. It's not like when someone learns a language and can then translate a text for someone who hasn't learned the language. It's more... mysterious than that.

Am I getting this right so far?

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

...We should start out with faith - as strong as possible. That's the foundation. Faith in Christ, and faith that the Bible is the word of God. The Bible should be the authority we hold up high. That's where we should start out. "The Bible is the word of God".

If we then find scripture that supports that faith, that's great, and we should cherish it. However, if we find scripture that's confusing, or seems to be contradicting, or does not agree with scientific findings, or something like that, we should disregard or forget those things, or pray for more faith in order to understand it. If we don't find an answer anyway, we should have faith that God will reveal the truth about it in due time.

Or - if we have faith, we also have fear of God, and so we would never question passages in the Bible in the first place.

Some read the Bible without faith in order to find faults in it. These people cannot understand what is written, because they are not guided by spirit since they don't have faith. However - those who do have faith and do understand the scripture, cannot simply explain how the scripture makes sense to those who do not have faith, because it's... more complicated than that. It's not like when someone learns a language and can then translate a text for someone who hasn't learned the language. It's more... mysterious than that.

Am I getting this right so far?

I think you got it. After asking many question to bible believers I have come to the same conclusion. Before when I believed in the bible, it was because I did not have all the facts, only the ones supporting the inerrant theory. I tried to find something to prove the bible was from god but the more I search, the more I lost faith. The only way for me to believe that the bible is from god is to disregard all of the facts and to accept blindly that it is his word.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The Bible was written by humans and copied and recopied so many times it surely does contain some mistakes. Translations are also notoriously difficult as it is often impossible to convey the exact meaning of some words from one language to another. No doubt some precision was lost when going from Hebrew or Greek to other languages.

But still I believe the overall message is clear.

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

WOW! you summed it up very nice. What you stated is factual - however, for those that have been JW's witnesses it is a very painful process. Many have thought they acted out of faith and then were deceived by God.

Because it is drilled into them not to question and all bible answer come through the GB and for the most part those answers to their questions are concrete, in that, if they disagreed with them a person can be disfellowship they learn fear of God not love for God.

Preconcieved ideas doctrinally are hard to get over. Witnessess often talk about how they cannot understand a person of another faith when the facts are presented to them they can't understand them. They imply the person is wicked and they are knowingly rejecting the truth.

However, ex-witnessed find themselves in the same position for the most part they cannot entertain another way of knowing God. Or that God has not mislead them and if they act out of faith and let God spirit teach them they will come to a correct understanding and love for Him.

Absolute is the standard they judge all biblical teachings by, they do not want to be judged by it, but they want all others to meet it or their in false religion. The fear of being mislead is so strong that it's almost impossible for them to trust any biblical teachings. To talk about trust is fear to most of them. Of course God is love and He promises all of us if we really want to know Him he will helps us. And even if we are mislead He will help us. It is that desire to understand and worship Him that moves Him to act for us. In fact, He has done that for those that are ex-witnesses they just do believe it or understand God is faithful and has gotten them out of a dark organzation and it is an answer too their prayers for help.

The problem is they want another organization to takes up where the Watch Tower left off. However, none of them meet the high standards so they are left believing there is no truth based on their standards.

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

Will many claim to have read the bible, but they are unwilling to accept the formost truth of the scriptures that one has to receive the Holy Spirit to know God and be known by him. That does not mean a person cannot read the bible as written word law and understand the law. It does not mean that the person cannot mix personal feeling with the law and think it is God or does it mean you cannot understand the stories of faith written in it. It does not mean you can not command more facts then a person that has God's Spirit.

What your unable to do without God Spirit is enter into a new coveant or have God as your Father and come to know His personality. You may have fact about God and glean from the stories of the bible regarding Jehovah, but you are still woefully lacking. The stories in the bible were written by people of faith and were most often anointed they understood more about God personally then did the average Jew that is why later they were worshipped.

Those prophets were just a taste a foregleam of the reality of Christ. Christ body is not many it is one and so all those join to him in his body have a constance knowledge that cannot be understood by someone that does not have God Spirit.

And as you know because your a master of the bible the spirit would write the God words the heart of those in the new coveant as real as it was written on tablets of stone

It is equally clear (or in the scpritures) that "most" of the Jews that understood the bible much better then us could not understand or accept Christ. That is because it required something more something they thought was weak and foolish and look down upon God's Holy Spirit and being born again.

All it produce in most of the Jews was hate for each other and God and most lacked faith or had no faith these are the facts of the book you are quoting from. And if you have read your bible you also no that it was a small group that recieved the gift of God.

There more scriptures dealing with fairness, treatment of followman, family, and honesty that have been proven internationally and over thousands of year that are not contradicting at all. And you know that those are the weighty matters of the law no one can misinterpret good and fair conduct. Those wanting to prove themselve by law or judging other by law trend to twist things up pretty good. But the Law was written for the unrigtheous not those that have the free gift of the Holy Spirit of they live under another law of God's love.

So are you angry because you don't understand God's Love or angry because it not the way you wanted it? Or is it your contention that people command God demand His understanding according to their ideas of the scripture?

What I am hearing I want to take the part out about recieving God's Spirit and go around what Christ stated and understand God my way. And if I can't then everyone else is a liar or stupid for having faith.

In God's presence I have such confidence through Chirst, not because we posses self-sufficiency to form personal judgments, but because our sufficiency is God-given.

And He has qualified us to be ministers of a new covenant, not written law, but of a spiritual Nature; for the later kills, but the Spirit makes alive.

Yet if the minsistry of death, engraved in letters of stone, was inaugurated with such splendor that the sons of Israel were not able to gaze steadily at the fact of Moses, due to his facial brilliance which after all faded away, how much more glorious must be the ministry of the Spirit?

If our Gospel has been obsured, it has been obscured in case of those perishing in whom the god of this world has blinded their unbelieving minds to prevent the illumination of the Gospel to the glorious Christ, who is in the likeness of God, from penetraitng.

For we have not heralded ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves your servants for Jesus; because God who said, "Out of darkness light shall shine".

He has made it shine in our hearts so as to show forth the knowledge of glory divine in the face of Christ

In fact, their minds were dulled. To this very day, when the Old Testament is being read, that same veil remains, not lifted because only by Christ is is removed.

When He comes, however, the Spirit of Truth will guide you into every truth: for He will not speak on His own account but will say what ever He hears and He will make known to you what is to take place.

But the hour comes - and is now - the genuine worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is looking for such as His worshpers. God is a Spirit and His worshpers must worship in spirit and truth.

If you do not believe in earthly matters I mention to you, how can you believe the heavenly things I might tell you?

Do not feel surprize because I tell you. You need to be born from above

He who comes form above is above every one, while one who originates from the earth is earth-minded and speak from and earthly stand point.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    I have read from the Bible and I don't know why people have to hate the things that are so good and pure and true. In today's world nothing really matters to anyone. People just live for no reason at all. What is the point then? The Bible is what we have from God. God exists. He is alive. The Bible is more emotional, spiritual guidance. You cannot just pick and choose what you think is correct. Find out what is missing

Really? what about these verses? Numbers 31:17-18 Deut. 20:13-14 Deut. 21:10-13 judges 21:10-24 Deut 22: 28-29 Ex21:7-11 Ex21: 2-6

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit