How accurate can the Bible really be?

by Snoozy 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ness
    ness

yesh..i too take issue with the bible...particularly its treatment towards homosexuals.

i believe in a God, higher being/force or whatever title one would like to use, but thats where i draw the line.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Mark TwainIt ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand
  • Terry
    Terry

It is possible to demonstrate the invalidity of the Bible again and again.

The fact that this has been done has changed little.

Why?

Enough people are already invested in something which reputedly is Divine they refuse to risk their investment by dumping it and finding a replacement.

So, the Christian Faith comes down to stop-loss investment thinking.

1. I've got all my wealth in a stock with a good reputation.

2.Reports undercut the value of that stock.

3.If we all dump this stock we all lose our investment, but; if we all hang in and continue to buy it won't crash and profits are assured.

Scholars know better than to represent the Bible as anything much but pastiche, legend, myth, apologist redaction, semi-history, tribal anecdotes and cobbled pronouncements. Yet, these same scholars engage in what is often termed "pious fraud" by propping up the structure so that it doesn't collapse of its own weight.

Enough well-informed scholars simply choose to assert as fact that the bible is Divine so that they will dismiss or undercut any evidence, proof, demonstration or logic to the contrary as a matter of ideology.

It is dishonest. It is fraud. But, it works.

Jehovah's Witnesses do this regularly about all their failures. We are familiar enough with their methods of reframing a failure, blaming others, flip-flopping on explanation and cracking down on those who insist they come clean by DF'ing them or declaring their words off-limits Apostacy.

So too with Christendom! Apologists work 24/7 to reassure lazy readers and non-thinkers that all is well in the Land of Oz because the Wizard is on duty.

The last great impact on this bulwark of bullshit was the success of the DA VINCI CODE which snapped people out of their trance enough to investigate the outrageous claims of fraud. (The idea that a work of fiction could panic people is most interesting!)

Most people read just a little...just enough to reassure them. Others, read deeper and were shocked at the twisted history of the bible. Fewer still, went deep into scholarly investigations and learned what the facts truly are.

Where does this leave religious people in general?

Right where they are. They can turn on the bootstrapping FAITH argument and wish it all away easily enough.

How?

By hanging a big sign on your chest that declares FAITH! You don't have to think or explain or be troubled by facts, evidence or scholarly revelation. It is a KING'S X for the intellectually dishonest.

Besides, where can they go once they've seen the little man behind the curtain?

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

Lore! You're the BEST! I was arguing with Mr. Witness last night about just this topic and you have given me some FANTASTIC references!! THANK YOU!!

• Terry
    Terry

DATE: Tue, 21 Aug 2007
    SIZE: 23.5 MB
    DOWNLOAD EPISODE IG: The End of Biblical Studies - Hector Avalos

Dr. Hector Avalos joins us to discuss his recent book "The End of Biblical Studies." Dr. Avalos is a Professor of religious studies at Iowa State University with degrees from Harvard and the University of Arizona. He has been on the program prior to discuss with us his very insightful work, "Fighting Words: The Origins of Religious Violence." This time he will discuss why much of Biblical Study is self-serving and dishonest. I am almost done with "The End of Biblical Studies" and I am finding it an amazing work. IG recommended.. Get it today! He confirms much of what I have been saying for years about how the Biblical Studies establishment purposefully changes meaning, conducts egregious omissions and insertions, and distorts things to serve the purpose of maintaining the Bible as meaningful and relevant in todays modern culture. It's all a sham.

You can right click on the DOWNLOAD EPISODE above and "Save to" a file on your desktop or just listen to it.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Thanks Lore and Eclipse for some points I hadn't considered before.

C: Lore 33:41:

And I would love to know what the rest of the book of Lore deals with

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Robert G. IngersollThe inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it
  • Word
    Word

For we know in part and we prophesy in part;

but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.

(Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians)

The Bible is only a vague image of the new world that is underway

The Bible has been mistaken for the real thing

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

The Bible is only a vague image of the new world that is underway

Bring it on already!

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

How accurate? How about this. Matthew says Jesus was born when Herod was King of Judea. Luke says he was born when Cyrenius was Governor of Syria. He could not have been born during the administration of these tow rulers for Herod died in the year 4 B.C., and Cyrenius, who, in Roman history is Quirinius, did not become Governor of Syria until ten years later. Herod and Quirinius are separated by the whole reign of Archelaus, Herod's son. Between Matthew and Luke, there is, therefore, a contradiction of at least ten years.

Interesting, no?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit