If ur child died,would u visit the grave and always "talk" to them?

by fedorE 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fedorE
    fedorE

Although i still have doubts there is life after death, i believe i would be hanging on to every last vestige of my son that I could and that means talking to him. Talking into the air and crying. Realizing this is his final resting place. Trying to attain some closure is next to impossible i would imagine, especially since that old "hope of the ressurection" would be dangling like a carrot in front of my face every day. The very fact that I would never ever see him again IS what would bring me to the grave regularly so that I would talk and he would "listen". Even though deep inside i intellectually understand he exists no more. The length of this "closure" is impossible to talk about. How painful it is to lose someone you love. If we had of "evolved" with less emotional pain we would truly be less human. We are walking emotional time bombs.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Some thought provoking questions tonight. Its a hard one to answer. Knowing that you will never see or hear from your child again, would almost be to much to bear in encountering this final place of rest. If I beleived that his/her energy was transient I probably wouldn't visit and just talk or live with my thoughts and love from a distance. The visitation to this resting place would be very painful indeed. I might get some comfort from the fact that I would soon be joining whatever residuals of energy and love in another dimension in my own time. It really depends on what you beleive. I wonder how many visits a Jehovahs Witness would pay to the gravesite of their child based on the fact that they beleive they don't exist and will only return in the new system. If they went to see a corpse it would be akin to hoping that there is something else. It would be purposeless, based on what they beleive.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Personally, no I wouldn't. As a mom, I totally see your point, but I do believe there is something after death, so I would just be visiting their physical remains, I don't believe they would be there, so why visit? For me all I would have to do, is think of them and talk to them wherever, whenever. If there is an afterlife, where you talk to someone who has passed doesn't really matter does it? If the body is just a vessel then you would be talking to dust. If there is nothing after death, then visiting a gravesite would be equally meaningless in my opinion. Better to hold a favorite picture of that person and remember all the things you loved about them perhaps.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

The rites for the departed are really for the benefit of the living.

If indulging in them helps me to cope with my grief, then by all means.

INQ

• fedorE
    fedorE

Over the years when i have met someone that has lost a loved one I have ask them " How soon after your loss did u feel a presence, as if your loved one is still around you? Or i would ask." Have u felt their presence" More often than not the person says yes i feel them around me. Can this be the same feeling one gets from going to the loved ones gravesite? Imagined but still comforting?

I believe our inablility to let go of loved ones says a lot about our humanity. For some life seems pointless to live without a lost wife or son or daughter. Others dont deal with the pain and show no emotion. But the vast majority of ppl suffer loss. There is a time to die but never an acceptable time to die.Yet it is our future. Our time will come. We know it. So during our lives at this moment when struck with tragedy we anguish and ask Why but the grave is there and we can visit this final place of rest and have some sense of closeness or chose to live with the memory inside of ourselves without going to the gravesite.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I'm a hardcore atheist and don't believe there is ANYTHING after death but in answer to your question yes I absolutely would.

• Xena
    Xena

I used to visit my parents gravesite because I felt close to them there. A graveyard is a quiet contemplative place, maybe that is why. You can sit and reflect on the memories you have. It's one of the things I knew I would miss moving away. I didn't go often but it was nice knowing I could go when I wanted.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

It's been years since I visited my daughter's grave. She's not there; just her earthly remains. Going there doesn't bring her back, it just highlights how far away she is.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I don't know about talk to them.

After my son died in an accident nine years ago, his body was cremated and the ashes scattered over a wide area - so it is not possible to even visit the location.

My father died a year or so later, and while his body was also cremated, the ashes were scattered in
    one location.
    I often visit the site where my father's ashes are scattered - but I don't quite go to the extent of
    talking to him!

That's just me, but I can certainly understand those that would carry out a conversation with / at the grave of a family member.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

YES!!!

I believe that those that pass on are still with us...no heaven and hell, just with us.

I visit my mother in laws grave every Monday, just to say Hi.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit