Has anyone found dating as an EX JW difficult?

by sweetstuff 50 Replies latest social relationships

• Brigid
    Brigid

I used to find it difficult somewhat. I was living very far away from my JW family so it did not come up very often. I treated it like the deepest darkest secret. Tried to muddle through holidays and b-days like I knew what I was doing LOL!!! And tried to get them to realize it truly was NOT personal when I forgot a birthday.

Now I'm involved very happily with an ex-jw. It's like sweet relief knowing I don't have to "hide" that kooky part of myself. That awkward-cuz-i-grew-up-in-a-cult part.

~B.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Thanks for the replies everyone. I agree, it shouldnt be something brought up early on or if possible but if a relationship continues and grows, its bound to come up sooner or later. That's why I posed the question. And although most people are screwed up, we have our own "special brand" of screwed up, lol. It's nice to see people with successful relationships after j dub life.

• jaredg
    jaredg

i haven't really found it to be a problem. i've found that most people don't have the perfect family life. most will understand. on a side note you shouldn't have any problem dating...you look pretty hot!

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    you look pretty hot!

Thank you!

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    My repressed sex life in the Jehovah's Witnesses True story,i couldn't have made this up guys.

Hi Danny, yours is an inspiring story, very happy for you!

• arker
    arker

Chapter 3 If you want a kiss/or more you will have to ask, cuz my vibe skills are not there.

• Sassy
    Sassy

It defenitely does make you different, I sometimes wondering if dating other ex jw's would be better, because at least they would GET where you come from. Hmm, downside to that, what if they go back?? LOL

yup.. I've wondered that myself..

I'd like to try dating an xJW and see if it is better...

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    "my family are in a strange cult so I dont have much to do with them"

I have not had success with saying this. People then wnat to know which cult they are in. When i say JW, they are usually confused and want to know why I call them a cult.

There is just no easy way to explain it. I think the above poster saying it's kind of like being Amish, is the one I am going to try next.

BTW, Men on the outside treated me so much better then any JW man ever has. I never had a JW man treat me with the leval of respect that I received form worldly men.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

Fortunately I've had some really understanding guys. But I just end up attracting a******* anyway.

• daytona27
    daytona27

I'm divorced at 36 after never really having dated. Like a lot of witnesses, I married young to the first girl I had a relationship with. We divorced 14 years later. I made what I would say are some "normal" female friends. One get's married and then tells me she's in love with me...kind of a betrayal of our friendship actually. My quest is to just have friends without it getting weird, but somehow...it does. Either that or the girls think we just want to get in their pants. To me, it's all a big hassle and a lot of work...drama. I'll just continue to do what I like to do. Boating, diving, fishing, riding my bike. If I meet someone I click with, great. But I'm sure as hell not going out looking for anything...just not worth it to me. But to answer your question, yeah, having the beliefs and trying to mesh with anyone who doesn't or never did...it's always weird.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit