Very Sad

by geevee 24 Replies latest jw friends

• geevee
    geevee

Hi All,
    Today my in-laws were telling us about an old couple in their cong. Sadly the wife who is nearly 80, is dying of cancer. She has it so bad, she cannot eat, only drink a little. But, and the in-laws were so proud, the poor old "sister" was being taken around by her husband to do her "return visits" !!! He would go up to the door and get her RV's to come out to the car!
    I can't believe it. The poor old lady is dying, so very little energy left, and she is doing her calls.
    My wife and I said: "thats ridiculous!, she doesn't have to do that".
    The in-laws then took a look at such a dumb situation and agreed.
    At what point are you confident enough to be right with your god? What is the point of one more "browney point" ?
    I am still spewing about it!
    Take Care

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Crazy, ain't it?

• exwitless
    exwitless

That's terrible!!! If dying of cancer isn't enough of an excuse to not go out in service, I don't know what is!

Now people in her congregation will be compared to her for the next 50 years: "If sister so-and-so could go out in service when she was dying of cancer, surely you won't let a little ailment prevent you from going!" Ugh. I really feel for the poor woman. Loyal to the end . .

• Gopher
    Gopher

For those of us who understand that it's a folly to follow the WT Society, this is very sad.

As for the dying JW woman, this could be making her very happy. I know my 90-year-old grandmother (who still is a JW pioneer) eats, breathes and lives for her "theocratic activity". If it makes her happy, then (delusional though it is) it is what is keeping her alive, it's what gives her a sense of purpose.

If on the other hand, this dying woman is fearful of consequences if she doesn't give her "whole-souled service", then this pitiful situation is also robbing her of any dignity she had.

• blondie
    blondie

What is the scripture that says not to let the left hand know what the right hand is doing. To do good deeds in secret so that your honor is from God not from humans. It is always amazing to be how these stories tend to get spread around as if the person wanted recognition from humans rather than God.

• compound complex
    compound complex

But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know
    what your right hand is doing, so that your alms may be
    in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward
    you. - Matthew 6:3, 4 (RSV)

• BFD
    BFD

I agree that it is sad, However, she is doing what she wants to do with her remaining days. So, it probably makes her happy. So what?

BFD

• sandy
    sandy

If she is near death then this is probably bringing her some comfort whatever her reasons are. At ninety years old and near death, I doubt she is trying to make herself look good to others.

• Scully
    Scully

I guess she's living her dream of Proving Her Integrity to Jehovahâ„¢ to her death, going out with her boots on, so to speak.

That'll make a fine guilt-inducing example for Awake! readers in an upcoming article with a title something like "Could You Do More?"

Too bad the god she worships is such a jealous god requiring so much appeasement that she can't even take a break to frikkin' die.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I admire anyone with such convictions, no matter how delusional or foolish they may be. If we all had something we believed that strongly in, I think the world would be a better place. I realize that's not going to be a popular viewpoint here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit