Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole.......big.....beautiful Hawaian music

by HappyDad 25 Replies latest social entertainment

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Bruddah Iz is an Icon in Hawaii. The YouTube you played I believe shows his memorial and the spreading of his ashes 10 years ago last month. ----------- I picked up Facing Future cd at Kailua Kona (big island) Costco in May. $11! Most retailers on the islands charge full price of $20. I'm up for collection his other albums. -------------- As a Hawaiian Native sympathiser I really enjoy Hawai'i '78. It's haunting with the chanting, the singing of the State Motto Ua mau ke ea o ka `âina i ka pono `o Hawai'i Being perpetuated (is) the sovereignty of the land to righteousness/ to balance, Hawai`i Ua mau ke ea o ka `âina i ka pono `o Hawai'i If just for a day our king and queen Would visit all these islands and saw everything How would they feel about the changes of our land Could you just imagine if they were around And saw highways on their sacred grounds How would they feel about this modern city life? Tears would come from each other's eyes As they would stop to realize That our people are in great, great danger now How would they feel? Would their smiles be content, then cry Chorus: Cry for the gods, cry for the people Cry for the land that was taken away And then yet you'll find, Hawai'i.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

sorry, my posts come out shit when I use firefox browser ...

• poppers
    poppers

That song is also used at the end of "Finding Forrester" - great movie.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

it's absolutely lovely...

but why did you have to say "forget his size?" What does that have to do with it? Gorgeous voice but people like you focus on his appearance.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Hortensia,

What's wrong with you woman?

Why do people like you have to always take the most innocent of comments and make an issue out of it? Get over it.

Yeah........the man was very large and made beautiful music. The reason I mentioned his size was.... as anyone who looks into the music scene of just about any culture, can see that physical appearance means almost more than the talent that the particular individual has. If a man or woman is too large, there usually IS NO career or contract. Aretha Franklin and Rubin Studdard.....with their great voices are exceptions. And Iz is another great exception.

That was the only reason I brought his size up. Get off the "sensitivity" and "political correct" soapbox for awhile.

By the way.......I'm also a "large" man. 5' 11-1/2" and 253 pounds......and also bald...... and I don't take issue with any comments of those things. So don't bit$h about me bringing up something about size. At least I can comfortably live with myself without being "sensitive".

Glad you like his music though!

HappyDad

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I love that song and just recently saw the video,,,just beautiful

• ninja
    ninja

Israel Kamakawiwo.....is that a Jew who flies his plane into ships?

• Open mind
    Open mind

Joannadandy said:

"I've always loved this song, I don't know why - it makes me happy but also makes me feel like crying too -"

Same here. I wish I could elaborate but that would be too self-identifying. It's a very special song for me and my family.

Sappy and fluffy, I know. That's me a lot of the time.

Open Mind

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Love that song!! Made me tear up first time I heard it, his voice is very haunting and beautiful. Yeah, I'm a girly girl, what of it??

• ninja
    ninja

hey sweetstuff....we have no problem with you being a girly girl....its just your legs are hairier than a sasquatch......muhahaha.......ninja

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit