Holiday to Tasmania and my incredible book find

by jwfacts 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have just spent the last few days in Tasmania, where I was born and raised until the age of 20. My grandmother is a JW in her 80's but let me stay at her house because "no one is going to tell her she can not speak to her own family". I visited relatives and friends, and found that almost everyone that I grew up with are no longer JWs. It was quite eye-opening; some have become Christians, some have New Age beliefs, some are athiests. Some are very sucessful and happy, others are drug addicts, and sadly more than one has committed suicide.

I remembered that when I was a teenager I used to mow the lawns for one of the original JWs from Tasmania. He died at the age of 99. Shortly before he died he gave me a number of his Watchtower publications. I had stored a box of them at my grandmothers, so went searching and found them. I now have original Studies in the Scriptures, and Rutherford's set of books. I did not realise that there were a number of covers of the Studies in the Scriptures. I have some with the normal red cover, but one which looks like a little black bible, and another beautiful 1923 copy of Thy Kingdom Come with an embosed hard cover, gold guilded edges and printed on thin bible paper.

Most incredible is an original copy of the booklet Millions Now Living Will Never Die. I looked on Ebay and found that these sell for $US200.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Yes, it's incredible how much people will pay for what some of us consider "trash." As the saying goes: "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

JWfacts,

About 12 years ago, I decided to sell off some of the duplicate WT literature I had in my collection to help finance a family vacation in Florida. A set of the old Studies in the Scriptures that I had was so unusual the book collecter, who specializes in religious books, didn't even now it existed. I made quite a bit off those books, what would amount to several hundred dollars today.

S4

• chelsea
    chelsea

Is your grandmother the lady i think she is??? Your grandmother on your mother's side???

• chelsea
    chelsea

I just got your PM. Thanks!!!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Hi Chelsea, yes that was her. She is very cool, doesn't care too much about anything.

Speaking to JWs, I am finding that there is such a range of beliefs. A lot think it may be true and stay thinking it is a nice way of life. Others like me believed it totally and made important life choices based on that, and so come out a lot more upset. I met up with my first girlfriend, who has also left. She thinks it is funny that I was a 100% full on JW, and now I am a 100% full on apostate. She moved on and could not care less about it anymore.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    book collecter, who specializes in religious books, didn't even now it existed

I wonder how many copies are still in existence. There were millions printed, but I imagine a lot have been thrown out over the years.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I so want to go to Tassie, probably this xmas.

She thinks it is funny that I was a 100% full on JW, and now I am a 100% full on apostate.

Maybe all of us here are cursed with that same crazy gene.

She moved on and could not care less about it anymore.

I'll have what she's having.

• deeskis
    deeskis

Sounds like you had a good holiday JWF........

glad you were able to spend some time with your Gmother.........she sounds like quite a woman!!

Best wishes

D

• helncon
    helncon

Hey JWF,

Im glad you had a good time in tassie.

Been there a few times myself and lived there for a few months.

I'm glad your grandma is cool about the family thing.

What you going to do with your unexecpected winfall?????(sorry if you already have answered)

Helen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit