WTS Idea of "Prophecy" – Do You Find This Ridiculous???

by Seeker4 29 Replies latest social humour

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Oops, it posted too soon!

Here it is:

The WTS view is that we don't understand Bible prophecy until AFTER it is fulfilled. Thus their excuse for mis-understanding what was going to happen in 1876, 1914, 1918, 1925, 1975, etc.

I always thought this was ridiculous. It made no sense even when I was a brother. What good is a prophecy that you don't understand until AFTER it's over?? A prophecy is only of value if you understand it before it is fulfilled.

Did anyone else find this an incomprehensible explanation?

S4

• Hermano
    Hermano

Yeah, it does sound ridiculous. However, according to the Bible the disciples didn't understand all of the prophecies re Jesus until they were fulfilled. That's the problem with religion, it makes you wonder whether God is full crap, the Bible is full of crap, or the people who are interpreting the Bible are full of crap, or all of the above. I vote for all of the above.

• xnmad
    xnmad

PROPHECY: something to chat about over coffee when its all over.Isnt hindsight wonderful? Lol.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Let me see if I can illustrate:

Someone prophecies that a commercial airliner is going to crash in Europe in 2007.

Not a hell of a lot of use.

If they prophecy the date, that helps more, and then the specific airline, that's a huge plus, and the flight, you're golden. If you avoid that flight, and it crashes, you pay attention after that, eh! If it doesn't, you know that like most prophets, this one if full of shit and not to be taken seriously.

What the WTS does it take some general statement, look back, and say, "See, it applied to TWS Flight 323 to Paris on August 20!"

Well, what in hell good does that do you after the fact?? What value is any prophecy if you can only figure it out after the damn thing has happened?

And thus lies the secret of all prophecy and prophets - make it so general no one can figure it out, but with enough detail that someone somewhere can apply it to something. The Bible prophecies and Nostrodamus are wonderful examples of this kind of bullshit "prophecy." Anyone that believes there is anything to them is a fool.

Give me the prophet that gives day, time and event before it happens, and then we've got something to talk about!

S4

• theMartian
    theMartian

Well, UnSeeker- I guess the prophecies about the Kingdom mean squat to you- after all the Early Christians- and later Christians (including US) all expected it in THEIR time. "Keep Close in mind the Day of the Lord" as the KJV reads.

When distressing things start to happen, the prophecies will come to mind- and we will be encouraged & empowered! But that must be meaningless you you who knows all!

Bless us with your enlightened superior understanding of the prophecy of Armageddon!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Well, theMartian! Interesting post. It's really the "prophecies" about the Kingdom that convinced me that all this prophesying is mostly nonsense.

Actually, it goes back earlier than that. In the front of my large NWT reference Bible - my second copy, as I'd worn the first one out - I began to collect a list of the references to the Bible's most basic prophecy, the one contained in the words that "the Day of Jehovah is near." Guess what? From the time of Joel, Zephaniah and Daniel, through the time of Jesus and on to Revelation, the "Day of Jehovah" has been "near." The WTS, and all other Christian religions, for the most part, are still saying "the Day of Jehovah is near."

Well, I might be a little slow, but I can pretty much be certain that, if you've said something is about to happen for the last 3000 years, and it hasn't happened, well, it probably isn't going to happen! Considering that the Kingdom, and the Day of Jehovah are pretty much wrapped up in the same theological cloth, and the fact that the Kingdom has been "near" for some 2000 years, well, I think it's all a ridiculous myth that has raised false hopes for every generation of believers for 3000 years.

Make a fool of people once, and it might be understandable. Try to make fools of people for 3000 years, and there is no excuse for that.

Your damn right that all those Christians expected it in THEIR time - and every damn one of them was disappointed.

You'll continue to be disappointed, and continue to get all excited when "distressing things" happen over and over. Guess what? The "distressing things" will be around for a long time, but the Day of Jehovah" and the Kingdom will never be here. They're a Jewish and Christian fantasy that, when taken literally, have disappointed every generation of Jews and Christians for 4000 years.

S4

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I always thought this was ridiculous. It made no sense even when I was a brother. What good is a prophecy that you don't understand until AFTER it's over?? A prophecy is only of value if you understand it before it is fulfilled.

Did anyone else find this an incomprehensible explanation?

I seem to recall a study article about this. We are a prophet but that just means to be a teacher and we don't know what is happening until after it is over. I had a good chuckle out of that article.They recently said that even the "anointed" had no more spiritual knowledge than the rank and file dub. This has to include the GB since the doctrines,practices and policy they espouse prove them to be clueless in the extreme. I do believe that. ..

• Hermano
    Hermano
    When distressing things start to happen, the prophecies will come to mind- and we will be encouraged & empowered!

If the role of prophecy is simply to encourage and uplift our spirits that is fine. But then we should not make important decisions --like whether or not to go to college -- based on "prophecy."

What do you say to that Martian?

• Metamorphosis
    Metamorphosis

However, I thought the Jews were both in expectation of their release due to the 70 years prophecy and also in expectation of the Messiah due to prophecy. So this would seemingly contradict the Society's thoughts that it's not meant to be understood until after fulfilled correct?

Morph (i prophecy the WT is full of it)

• Mary
    Mary

Yep. That always bugged me. My understanding of "prophecy" is that you're supposed to be able to tell in advance what's going to happen----not afterwards. Any moron can do that. It's just a feeble attempt on the Slobbering Body's part to try and explain away why they've never been able to accurately predict anything that actually came to pass.

I would especially "groan over the detestable things" when they tried saying that one of the trumpet blasts in the book of Revelation was referring to some assembly at Cedarpoint, Ohio in the 1920's. I mean, come on........they may as well have stated that one of the trumpet blasts was referring to the premiere of Gone With the Wind in Atlanta in 1939. There's about as much evidence for one as the other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit