My Sister's Visit

by Sunspot 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Most of you know that my family disowned me in 1972 when I was baptized into the WTS. I have only one sibling, a kid sister who is eight years younger. She decided right after our parents died, to try and reconcile the many years we had lost. She emailed me and asked if she could visit a couple of weeks ago.

I was thrilled, but nervous, not having a clue how things would go and trying to keep in mind all the things I should NOT say as well as things I was eager to find out about, concerning the rest of the family I have had no contact with.

The moment we laid eyes on each other (and recovered frm the gigundo HUG), it all went JUST GREAT!!! We curled up on the couch and fell into very comfortable conversation....dragging out pictures of our kids, etc from infancy to THEIR weddings and children!

We did have some "sticky areas" to cover, but we managed to get our questions answered without a shred of animosity or hard feelings. It could not have gone better if we had followed a script!

We have the same taste in clothes, books, movies, tv shows and hobbies (all except quilt-making, which I never mastered, but SHE brought me an exquisite quilt she made)....and even wear our hair exactly the same way! You know how you hear yourself on a tape recorder....and sound different, but you know its "you....well SHE sounds just like ME in that way! It was uncanny! I recognize speech patterns that are so much like mine, and SHE lives in CT and I live in upstate NY, so it isn't living in any "area" that develops these. I dunno...it was just funny to pick up on this.

Needless to say, I loved and enjoyed EVERY MOMENT of her visit! We had six very lovely days together, and did some tear-shedding when we had to say good-bye. She lives over 400 miles away.

So.....we have buried the past, and hopefully all the bad memories for us both....and have a great future to look forward to.

hugs,

Annie

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

((((((((((((((((sunspot))))))))))))))))) I'm glad you were able to have a nice visit with your sister!! Have you contacted any of your other family? Maybe you guys could reconnect?

nj

• snowbird
    snowbird

Sunspot, I'm so happy for you. As I grow older, I realize that the time we have is too short for ill will and grudges.

I try to stay positive and dwell on the good times we had as children whenever I deal with my siblings.

Peace and love,

Snowbird

• Sassy
    Sassy

this is wonderful SunSpot! I'm so glad your reunion visit went well! May there be many more now!

• PEC
    PEC

Sunspot, Thanks for sharing, I am happy for you and your sister.

Philip

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Wow, how wonderful to regain a sister.

Well done.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Wow, how wonderful to regain a sister.

Well done.

• crankytoe
    crankytoe

Nice,

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Thanks for your loving replies!

After I left the WTS, I had written long and personal letters of apology to my parents, my sister, the son I had shunned when he was DFed, and a few others that I had dumped on because the WTS had felt they were "bad association" but had always been very nice to me.

I got NO replies, but only heard through the grapevine that my pitiful attempts to make up for years of lost time, were not to be acknowledged. THIS was the first ray of light that I have had.

There are still many hard feelings and angry people in my family, so I have no other choice but to let it go. I have done all that I can trying to make amends for my stupid WTS-trained behavior. It was funny how my sister took up for me with one nasty remark about her visit here, when it was thrown up to her. It made me feel good. (She was on the phone and I could hear what was being said and how quickly she put this person in her place) It was cool

Maybe this will open some doors...but if not...no harm done. HER respect and friendship was more than I had ever hoped for and was the most important to me....so whatever happens (or doesn't) really does not matter. I am quite content with all I have right now!

hugs,

Annie

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

(((((((((((((((((((((Sunspot))))))))))))))))))))

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit