What Advice Would You Give A JW Thinking Of Leaving Or One Who's Left?

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Any thoughts?

• Open mind
    Open mind

If you like roller-coasters, you're gonna love what comes next!!!

Question everything. Accept nothing at face value. Don't let good debaters bully you into accepting their point of view. Be humble. Make them break it down and spell it out for you. (If they will)

Enjoy the ride!

Open Mind

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Before leaving: Build a support system outside the JW org (friends, non-jdub family, etc..) get an education, full time job with benefits and place of your own to live (if currently living with parents or Jdub family).

After leaving: Don't fall for the guilt trips, be your own person, continue to build on non-jw friendships and family relationships, don't accept help from JW (especially parents) it always comes with conditions! I'll give you a car, if you.........

nj

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Id say "RUN AWAY!"

The sooner the better. Pretend you are depressed and fade gracefully.

• dobbie
    dobbie

Yep definately try to get some support structure in place, you will need it! Realise that it is alot harder emotionally than you could have thought. Try to fade quietly first if at all possible. Do your research and make sure you know all you can about the backgroun of the religion and its falsehoods. Go to the cult help and information website, click on leaving a cult? then click on the emotional pain of leaving a cult, i found it by accident a few months ago when i was at my lowest, and it amazed me to see all the thoughts and feelings i was experiencing listed there, and i realised i was normal to feel the way i was and it helped me cope much better.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I'd recommend they read Crisis of Conscience... and also warm them of some of the issues they are going to be into from leaving, so they are mentally prepared..

and I'd welcome them to freedom outside the box

• greendawn
    greendawn

They should get out of the land of shadows called the WTS and get a life of their own away from morbid emotions like fear of god and armageddon, fear of the rest of human society, fear of persecution of the painfully powerless JW before the mighty satanic world.

Get rid of this evil spell of negative emotions.

• minimus
    minimus

I think for most it takes time. You HAVE to be aware of what's involved with leaving. Most likely, you'll lose every "friend" you thought you had in the religion. You will be questioned as to your motives, your views, your real reasons for questioning. You must be prepared to deal with abandonment and relentless pursuit. Some (elders) will query you as to what reason you could have to leave "Jehovah". GUILT is what they will try to instill within you, to bully you into staying.

My advice is to slowly but deliberately "fade" away. And don't ever question yourself as to whether you did the right thing or not. Just mentally get out. And MAKE FRIENDS WITH OTHERS BEFORE you leave!!!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

What Advice Would You Give A JW Thinking Of Leaving Or One Who's Left?

After a month of celebrating and partying. I would suggest getting serious and doing something constructive with your life.

• alias
    alias

Everyone's experience is different.

If find yourself swallowed up in a black hole of loss, regrets, anger, thoughts of suicide, etc. it is possible to come through the other side.

This is your life.

You are responsible for your own choices.

You can choose something else (inside or out).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit