Elder for 30 years, lost privelages due to WT Education policy

by justhuman 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• James Free
    James Free

I doubt there is a specific letter. But it is totally possible that an Elder can lose his position if the other elders in his congregation decide he is not setting the right example. This can apply to any preference the local body feels strongly enough about. As usual it is also often part of the local politics and a way to get rid of an Elder by the others. A leading Elder who is pals with the CO will be OK.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Loca congregations tend to intrepret the guidelines from the society differently. It very well may be that this elder was removed because he sent his kid to college. Same circumstances in another congregation, and the body may not do a thing.

• fresia
    fresia

Loca congregations tend to intrepret the guidelines from the society differently. It very well may be that this elder was removed because he sent his kid to college. Same circumstances in another congregation, and the body may not do a thing.

Very true, I have found this so....and the standards are differnent within each congregation, because that depends on who's who, and how many elders and pioneers, how many kids the elders, so on, elders kids seem to get away with more in certain congo's.

• ?me?
    ?me?

i think it is a "read between the lines" kind of thing. of course the WTS strongly discourgages higher education. the articles, and comments at the meeting are meant to have the PUBLISHER (in their own mind) reject college, and not the WTS. it is like many things in the cong. that are "Bad" that you can do if you can take the heat, but most will not do so as to not "stumble someone". many things qualify, you can watch bad movies, listen to questionalble music, go to evil nightclubs, and NOT be disfellowshipped, but we all know you will never get anywhere in the cong. if a hardcore CO moves in, or a powerful PO, anything you or your household does can bring into question you r "qualifications" and may be grounds for deletion... most elders won't push the limit (after all they did not achieve eldership by getting out of line did they?) just another cleverly written and spoken "rule, but NO rule"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    There is no policy or directive from headquarters that I'm aware of,

From what I read here so far- As far as anyone here knows, there is not a written letter in the hands
    of JWD elders. There may not be a written policy or directive in the hands of elders, but we don't
    know that for a fact.

I do know this- A year-and-a-half ago, the C.O.'s outline for his meeting with Elders and M.S.'s included
    a strong reminder to discourage college, start putting this discouragement into platform parts at the
    Hall, hold up examples of 'successful' careers among those that didn't go to college. That is a fact.

From that fact, it wouldn't surprise me if there has been more policy or directives written and sent out.
    I just feel strongly that it wouldn't directly say to take away elder status from someone who sends their
    kid to college. It might say to examine the qualifications- the same as they said for brothers staying
    in hotels not on an "approved" list for District Conventions.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I know of an Elder's wife that went to college (for nursing) a few years ago. They have no children, she didn't "need" the money. He is still an Elder.

• James Free
    James Free

The GB and writing committees are all moral cowards. They bully their flock with pharisaic opinion, but always in a subtle way because they are scared of the consequences of actually telling people what to do. They use phrases like 'It's a matter for your own Bible-trained conscience, nut a mature Christian would not do it' etc. Then, since it not spelt out in black and white, different congregations apply it with different levels of enforcement. An elder can be removed in one congregation, but not in another - yet the Holy Spirit is supposed to be directing things. It's all very pathetic really.

• jeanV
    jeanV
    there is a letter to the elders of the local congregations from Brooklyn headquarters, that any Elder, or MS, that sends children to study looses the possition...

I have not seen such letter and seriously doubt it exists. I know that after the WT article last year (I guess it was last year) some bodies of elders wrote to the society to find out if they should take action on appointed servants that had children at the University. I am not aware of any case of elders or MS that lost privileges due to a child at the University. If the child is still under the parents responsibility and commits some serious wrongdoing then most likely the elders/MS will be removed from the assignment.

True, but removing someone goes beyond the boundary of interpretation. Society may question the grounds. When different standards are to be applied I see it more on tolerating what some do because of their "general standing" rather than being more harsh on others.

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow

Hello, all:

This is my first post and I am using it to clarify that there is no such a letter. Altough I have no doubt that parents and young witnesses experience substantial pressure over the "superior education" issue, there is no explicit prohibition yet. I do not have specific information on the elder you refer to on your post, therefore, I cannot opine on that particular case, however, I presume that a given elder would lose his position on the matter only if he adopts a defiant attitude toward the other members of the body of elders. In other worlds, if members of the congregation are spreading rumors on the issue and the elders decide to talk to the elder in question, but he appropriately let them know it is none of their business, then it will turn into a power issue and, given the circumstances, guess on what side would the Society be.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I would bet that a half truth is within this ..

I have no doubt that an elder could be severely criticised for sending a son to Uni. IF the local body wanted to make an issue out of it..backstabbing politics are not uncommon in elder bodies .(..I know I have been there.) It could be manipulated to be a case of the elder defying Society advice & setting a bad example.

I have known a similar situation over a different issue . The elder was removed .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit