Elder for 30 years, lost privelages due to WT Education policy

by justhuman 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Scully
    Scully

If this is true, maybe we'll see a lot more JW Elders™ sending their kids to University, so they can get out of their Privileges™.

And, yeah, the Elders™/Circuit Overseer™ can pressure an Elder™ by threatening them with loss of Privileges™, especially if an adult child still lives at home and is not "measuring up". That's happened to some of my JW relatives - not over education, mind you, but they'll use any short-coming they can latch onto and use it to drive a wedge in a family.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

After several back injuries, 3 knee injuries, and 2 surgeries my doctor told me I had to change my line of work. I couldn't work as a machinist or window cleaner any more. So at 37 I went back to school to learn about computers. I had no choice if I wanted to be able to feed and clothe myself. The elders took away all my "privileges".

W

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

When I enrolled in college a couple of years ago I received a lot of grief over it. Since I was serving as an elder at the time, the grief visited upon me was doubled. Things reached their peak when I needed to get someone to cover my Book Study for a semester while I took a class on Tuesday night. The class was required for the degree, it was only offered one time a year in the spring semester, and it was only offered on one campus on Tuesday night....no choice. I asked if the elder covering the morning group could switch with me and cover the night group for 16 weeks. He said no, he has his [Mulit-Level Marketing Company] "business meetings" on Tuesday night. Hmmmm....self-employed but can't switch? Yet, he always manages to switch if there is a QB or a CO visit, etc, He just did not want to switch...too inconvenient.

So I still enroll and have the MS cover the group for that time. My nemesis elder in that congo started making lots of squawking noises....even from the platform whenever possible...which was a lot since he is WT Overseer. He advocates graduating high school and going right into the work force like he did..... Ironically, for awhile he was concerned about getting laid off and was forced on evenings (2nd shift 3pm-midnight). Guess what that did to his meeting attendance? Yep. Did anyone say anything to him? Only me. Fighting a losing battle, that. He is back on days. But he still advocates against higher education. By the way, he is an idiot, did I mention that yet? The education thing really was the thing that got the ball rolling against me continuing as an elder. He finally won the battle. I no longer care. But Snake wants to hit him in the face every time he sees him.

When I was still an elder we had a family who the father was from another country, one where a higher education is highly valued. He is insisting his 2 kids go to university. The daughter, highly intelligent, moved out of state to a good university to pursue her degrees... yet...she still auxiliary pioneers and makes all her meetings and has stayed out of trouble..... on the last shepherding call I made before she left, I congratulated her on her acceptance and for doing so well spiritually (gag) and encouraged her brother to also go to school. (I made that unauthorized shepherding call by myself ) I made sure she had an outstanding letter of introduction...2 pages long...explaining her background and family history. Last time she was home she says "how did they know so much about me and they welcomed me as soon as I got there?" Hmmmm....must have been that letter. (Imagine, a secretary sending a real detailed letter instead of those 1 paragraph excuse for letters I often received from other congos).

Oh, yeah, the father is not an MS.... he had been one in their previous congo....that brother will never see the light of day as an MS because of his stand on education.

Glad I am outta that congo. Wish I was completely out.....

SnakesInTheTower (of the "not a window washer anymore" Sheep Class)

• startingover
    startingover

I wish this was true, but I would be willing to bet an opinionated CO came around, told the BOE his opinion about education and elders, and some brown noser elders took the ball and ran with it.

• Tristram
    Tristram

Around here, most "prominent" elders kids go to college, have parts on the assemblies, privleges in hall, etc.

• dvw
    dvw

"Judah Ben Shroeder" anyone?

• Scully
    Scully

I know of a family from our former hometown - wonderful family, I just loved them - parents were hard working immigrants. Insisted their children get a good education. Both kids went to university. One is a physician, the other has an MBA. The father was always passed over for Privileges™ in the congregation, but because he was one of the very few people in that congregation to actually own property, they grudgingly allowed him to be one of the trustees of the Kingdom Hall. (The WTS again demonstrates its legal finesse there - why appoint someone as a trustee when there's nothing to gain financially if a lawsuit against the trustees becomes necessary?)

• Brain Dead
    Brain Dead

This isn't all too surprising since for decades they have disposing the advantages of getting better education outside which is governed by law.

Their credo was that all universities and collages were places of godlessness and have no benefit to a true Christian and should be avoided, better time should be spent going door to door

and selling god's magazines and save lives as we know the time of reckoning is near.. In essence bring us more slaves to exploit to use for are kingdom and we know more slaves mean more

power and money. The measure of power and strength of a master is given by the amount of slaves he owns and controls, is it not ? Just a side thought.....

But of course when one of the GB members has a serious health problem they are down at the local hospital looking for the most talented and educated doctor to help them out with their

specific illness and are willing to hand over any amount of money to obtain it, somewhat of a taste of hypocrisy isn't !

• Dagney
    Dagney

In my old hall, several elders sent their kids to university. The dads are "super" doers...I don't think the WBTS would say anything to them. They would do what they want anyway.

But I think things are happening. I think losing elders for whatever reason will have an great impact on how the societyoperates. Who is going to run the meetings? Bring back the sister swith the doilys on their heads?

• greendawn
    greendawn

So why shouldn't they go to university, the WTS has admitted that the end may not be near and may even be centuries away so what's the urgency now? Why prioritise so called spiritual goals when there is no end in sight?

They should not interfere in their members' lives and families on the basis of a discredited idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit