I'm sick of "the truth"

by exwitless 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• exwitless
    exwitless

The more I think about the dubs claiming they 'have the truth', the more it irritates me. And it's not just them. There are countless other religions who claim they 'have the truth'.

First of all, "having" "the truth" implies that the truth was either given to them or discovered by them. And since "the truth" is apparently an object to possess, only one group can "have" it. They carry on as if they now own their supposed truth, in the same way I own my car! Like a big brother smugly saying to his little brother "Mom gave me a house key. You don't get one."

Really, there isn't a "truth" out there in my opinion. Who's to say what's true and what's a myth, faulty reasoning, or just plain ignorance? I know, I know, the next argument to ensue is 'Does God exist or not? Is the Bible really from God?' etc. And I don't really want to get into that. I just hate the whole idea that religions in general seem to hold dearly to this claim that they somehow are privy to some "truth" information that non-religious people don't get.

The "truth" about what, anyway? If something is so obscure and vague (such as the Bible), is it really worth exerting yourself so much to figure out what it means? If the Bible contains the "truth" (and again, I'm not sure about what truth it claims to have), it ought to be crystal clear.

Sorry for my rambling. It probably doesn't make much sense. I'm just bouncing my thought off of you guys, because I'm hoping some of you will understand what I'm getting at. Cuz you guys are really smart and cool.

• Open mind
    Open mind

You said:

"It probably doesn't make much sense."

It made great sense to me. Amen Sister!!

I'd even put it in the "Smart and Cool" category. ;-)

Open Mind

• sir82
    sir82
    If the Bible contains the "truth" (and again, I'm not sure about what truth it claims to have), it ought to be crystal clear.

Exactly so!

Is God a trinity or not? This has been argued for centuries. One side pulls out texts A, B, and C and says "See? that proves the trinity." Meanwhile, regarding texts D, E, and F, they say, "well yes, that seems to disprove the idea, but what that really means is this..."

Meanwhile, on the other side, they say "Aha! texts D, E, and F disprove the trinity you pagan moron!" And then when confronted with texts A, B, and C they counter with "well yes, but what those text really mean is this..."

And on and on and on...hellfire? saved by faith alone? is tradition & unbroken succession important, or sola scriptura? Is the creation account in Genesis allegory or real history?

And God, the sovereign of the universe, who has designed & built the laws of physics from scratch, can't put his thoughts down in a book so that everyone can understand it? And allows literally thousands of textual errors to occur in the dozens of centuries before the invention of the printing press?

Something's not adding up!

Cuz you guys are really smart and cool.

I'll drink to that!

• exwitless
    exwitless

Thanks Open mind and Sir82. Great minds think alike, huh?

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

Great post exwitless, my sentiments exactly

Really, there isn't a "truth" out there in my opinion. Who's to say what's true and what's a myth, faulty reasoning, or just plain ignorance?
    If the Bible contains the "truth" (and again, I'm not sure about what truth it claims to have), it ought to be crystal clear.

It used to anger me all the statements made "I have the truth" or "this is the truth" from individuals of any faith.

Now I just smile, and find myself slightly amused by this comment. I acknowledge their inherent right to believe what they chose to believe, but also breath a sigh of relief that I am no longer imprisoned by such beliefs.

Free to think for myself, embracing a life of quality without the paralyzing constraints of organized religion.

LTF

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You said it well, and I think most would agree!

• Arthur
    Arthur

In my opinion, it has been the obsession with doctrines and dogma that has splintered Christianity into thousands of denominations, organizations, and into various cults. In this process, much of the beauty and profundity of Jesus' teachings have been covered over, forgotten, and ignored. The basic thrust of the Christian life was love of God and neighbor; at least this was so in it's beginning. "Love your neighbor as yourself" is so simple, yet the waters have been muddied by dogma, and the attempts to attain "doctrinal purity".

I think anyone who does not admit that the Bible is ambiguous in many parts, that many passages contain the possibility of multiple interpretations, and that it is even silent in may important matters is in denial. It is very easy for a congregation or an organization to demonstrate a strong sense of love and unity when everyone thinks exactly the same, believes exactly the same things, and where everyone repeats the same identical talking points by rote. It takes much more spiritual strength to show such love to those who have differing views. It requires much more spiritual maturity for a group of people to have a spirit of unity and love among themselves while allowing each other to have differing views.

I once read some good advice in a book that I cant' remember. It goes something like: "If any man or group claims to possess all of the answers or ultimate truth; grab your wallet, and run the other way."

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

All the other posts (including my own) really just add small thoughts to your excellent first post.

Exactly.

Couldn't God have left his name known, or his status as a Trinity?

I will restate one of my feelings-
    I tried to do God's Will before, but I wound up in a mind-control cult, instead.
    Therefore, before I will submit to doing God's Will again, He must make crystal clear
    what that will is beforehand. Otherwise, I will just live a good life and live by my own
    standard of morality.

• exwitless
    exwitless
    I tried to do God's Will before, but I wound up in a mind-control cult, instead.
    Therefore, before I will submit to doing God's Will again, He must make crystal clear
    what that will is beforehand. Otherwise, I will just live a good life and live by my own
    standard of morality.

I could not have said that better myself.

• greendawn
    greendawn

There is a truth in the Bible but the JWs don't have that truth with their dictatorial organisation and cruel shunning of family members. The truth is to antagonise the instinctive drives and spiritualise. The truth is also that faith in Jesus can lead to eternal life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit