How The Organization Hooks You With "Privileges"

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• watson
    watson

It seems that virtually every hall I ever attended had several ladies/women/sisters that would have made a hell of a lot better elders than the rest of the club. Really!

• samiam2b
    samiam2b

Learning2Fly: In small congregations women are allowed to handle "priveleges" when no qualified brothers are there. It is odd to see a sister handling a microphone or even saying a prayer!

• watson
    watson

In small congregations women are allowed to handle "priveleges" when no qualified brothers are there. It is odd to see a sister handling a microphone or even saying a prayer!

Kind of reminds me of stand the WTS takes on blood. Depends on the situation!!!

That's kind a heavy.

• greendawn
    greendawn

They have got it all well figured out if you want to be somebody in the JW org then you must be obedient and hard working iin promoting their interests. It's another venue of social control.

It is sad that the JWs don't realise that the org they live with makes big demands on its members and gives them very little in return, it is certainly not a generous and loving organisation. They should stop being so generous towards it.

• JWFreak
    JWFreak

Hmmm good point Minimus

In our cong the elders were so over righteous that with the 10 hour requirement, they used to knock off the family study 4 hours so the brother was only doing 6 hours in "real service".

So they made it a Law that for any privilege 14 hrs was a minimum.

sanctimonious assholes

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I remember those "privileges". Those were supposed to be the blessings! You do your job well (meaning more hours in the misery and perfect meeting attendance), and Jehovah will "bless" you with more assignments. That's His way of getting out of giving you real blessings that are actually going to mean something, like a better paying job, a good spouse, or better health.

I have been cursed with a few of these "privileges" at one time or another. Magazine duty was the worst. Generally, when I was behind the counter, only the men would pick up the magazines for the whole family, and I was not able to mix with others outside. I also had the "privilege" of passing the mics when they were attached to the boom. Those mics were held in by friction, so I held them pointing straight up when not in use so they wouldn't fall. The hounders insisted that I point them down to prevent feedback (seems I never had a problem with feedback). What I did see was the other person's mic falling out occasionally. I would hope for it to hit the edge of a chair and make a loud pop, break the mic, and blow out the whole sound system. Feedback, my eye.

I never looked at those things as real privileges. I would have taken the ability to do fornication at will instead of the "privilege" of being a hounder or assistant hounder any day. They can take those mics and magazines, and shove them. Instead, I am looking forward to having the privilege of setting up a nice big Christmas tree this fall--quite early, so it will stick out like a sore thumb.

• minimus
    minimus

"It is odd to see a sister handling the microphone".....what an erotic thought.

• rockhound
    rockhound

I remember talking to an elder in our congregation about trying to encourage young brothers by asking them to pass the mics to get them involved in cong. activities. Then, if they enjoyed helping out, ask them to help with something else. Before long, they would be involved in all kinds of cong. activities. The elder said he would talk to the the other elders, and get back to me. Their answer was that anyone that wanted to enjoy the privilege of passing the mics, would have to first reach out in the ministery, get his hours up, have good meetings attendence, etc., so the answer was no, they would continue to do it their way. I told them that you don't say to the wood stove, "Give me some heat, and then I will put some wood in you". That's not the way things work. First you put wood into the stove, and then the heat will come out. Needless to say, my illistration was not appreciated. The elders were more concerned with their rules and regulations, than they were in helping the youth in the congregation.

ROCKHOUND

• minimus
    minimus

And do you know what's INCREDIBLE???? The elders REALLY believe they are giving people "privileges" by cleaning a dirty toilet or passing a mike. Stooooopid!

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Boy was I suckered in for those "privileges." I lived for them, got most of them, and like a drug I always wanted more. Those damn "privileges," never paid a single bill. I will say that I did get valuable building trade experience and I guess that compensates some. But I gave up so much for it, college or trade school would have been cheaper even with loans.

Isaac

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit