How The Organization Hooks You With "Privileges"

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• exwitless
    exwitless
    That was a such a wonderful comment",

"I really enjoy your comments".

"That was an excellent talk you just gave".

That reminds me of the love-bombing comments LDB and I got when we were first studying. Actually, I'd have to say we were love-nuclear bombed, for all the syrupy sweet things said to us.

"You're making such excellent progress."

"It's so encouraging to see you progress and attend all the meetings!"

"That was a great job reading that scripture. I'm so pleased to hear you comment at the meetings."

"Jehovah must be pleased by your efforts."

OK, I just threw up a little inside of my mouth.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    Danny, but were the sisters even good lookin'

Some were sweet & sincere (like me) and some were total sleazoids like their male counterparts Rockland Massachusetts 1985+ was infected with some demonic spirit it was especially bad wosened when the bad apples take control

• exwitless
    exwitless

Come on; a Minimus thread just posted today, and it's already falling back 3 pages? I think this is one of the signs that Armageddon is imminent.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Being in a demonstration at the Service Meeting is something that only the privileged can enjoy

Jeez was I stuck with this one!! In my opinion, this privilege was more like a pain in the butt!! After working all day then dragging myself to the Kindumb Hell, I had to stay late to practice a stupid demon-stration ... blech! And the elders never seemed to give me a break. I had at least 3 demon-strations a month!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Shortly after I was baptized an elder said to me, "I have no use for any brotherâ„¢ who has been baptized for 6 years and isn't at least a ministerial servantâ„¢." I guess that was supposed to be a pep talk to get me to "reach out". That's how many JWs think. If the elders are pissed off at you they don't have to counsel you, df you, or give a talk. They just have to stop letting you read at the BS, stop asking you to say prayers, or stop running a microphone. They'll stop calling on you to comment. The rest of the congregation will notice that you're not being "used" and assume that you're under some restrictions for "wrongdoing". Your social life will vanish, and you might never know the reason why because no one will ever bother telling you. It happened to me more times than I can count in the course of 20 years.

In 1992 I applied to regular pioneerâ„¢. My application was handed back to me a week before I was to begin. The reason given to me was my "financial problems". I don't know where they got the idea I was having "financial problems". In fact I was doing well, and 2 days later I came to the meeting in a new vehicle - a 2 seater van!!! I was removed from the sound schedule, not called on for comments or prayers, and not asked to read for 6 months. The elders wouldn't even say hello to me for an entire month, although they all went out to admire the van and told my spouse how much they liked it. I asked several elders what the problem was, but they all said I was imagining things. That's when I finally began to get a clue, and from that point on I stopped taking their shit.

W

• samiam2b
    samiam2b

Oh don't I know!

1. Moved to a small town. Congregation had 18 people in it, the territory was about 2 hours by 2 hours drive. I drove an hour to get to the hall. Frequently I was the only "brother" there besides the PO. Although not worthy of the "priveleges" when the whole crew was there, somehow I was worthy when they weren't. It was quite a dance, playing the music, saying the prayer, doing the microphones, and handing out literature at the meeting....

2. At one point I thought it was funny there was a minimum hour requirement to do stuff. I would go out for a few hours a month for real and just add time to the sheet to get over the national average and make up some magazine placements. Wait, maybe they figured it out because the elders just told me I needed to do more. So I did. I added a couple more hours, RVs, and placements. To do this successfully though I had to be sure to get the most rural territories, where you would spend more than an hour just driving TO the place. Let one of the zealots make a call in town first though, otherwise you couldn't count the time. Go to all five houses in that territory (takes a couple hours to do that)... and spend another couple hours driving home. Bingo!

3. Some JW "friends" asked me to fix their computer when they went out of town. I don't remember what was wrong but in the process of fixing it I discovered they had been emailing about ME to someone I didn't even know... talking smack! Not sure what to do about that find but knowing that I had to have "proof", I printed the email. When they came back and we chatted, I mentioned the find (not the print). They called a meeting with the PO for me reading their email. Dumbasses! They asked me to fix their email and it didn't take snooping to find! They tried to discredit me with the elders over invading their privacy until I mentioned the printed copy of the email. So I got in trouble for printing a copy, in trouble for "stealing" their paper! I was reproved and they made him an elder. Sheesh...

4. I was dirt poor, as in (minimal) food stamps, public insurance for my kids, and I could only afford to eat one meal a day to preserve food for the wife and kids. I worked full-time and in the tiny town there were no other jobs. This town was one that traveling speakers had to go through in order to get to the KH from where most of them lived. The much more well to-do JWs were either always going to other halls to give talks or had some excuse for not feeding the speaker. Wanting to be hospitable, I invited them to our house for lunch. It wasn't much, could be PB&J and water... but it was literally all I could do. In fact, it meant that I had to sacrifice a meal during the week to pull it off. After a while I think the word got out that our cong was barely feeding the speakers... and the elders stepped up. I did not get anything for that, chaps my ass....

Sorry for ranting but I had 10 years of promises of "priveleges" and watched hypocrisy in action on a weekly basis in some cases affecting me or my family in very personal ways.

samiam2b

• watson
    watson

I was used...and I can tell you, it weren't no "priviledge."

• flipper
    flipper

I remember having the " privilege" of handing out magazines in the magazine room, and also the "privilege" of doing my Clark Kent imitation changing from work clothes to meeting clothes at my janitorial accounts , then rushing to the kh to get the magazines out by 7:10 p.m. Then the other astounding privilege was to go back and finish my janitorial jobs at 10:00p.m. after the meetings until 2:00 in the morning. Oh , yeah it was fun changing from meeting clothes back into work clothes at my jobs, all the while knowing everybody else went home to sleep with their families, while I burned the midnight oil for the once again" privilege "of regular pioneering and ministerial servant . Would have been a hell of a lot easier just working straight through and missing the meeting.

But Snakes take is very accurate, they kept all of us so busy with these pretend " privileges ", we didn't have time to properly devote it to our families emotional and normal needs. Pretty weird stuff, eh? Thanks Minimus for my privilege to comment on this

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

Women had no privileges I used to always wished that at least I would be allowed to handle the mic's.. but even something as that, much lower in the pecking order from an elders position, women or girls were still not permitted. I find that demoralizing to a females persona and worth...

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hooking you with privliges is right. I was on the spiritual fast track in my congregation and actually was about to be appointed a MS when I decided to end my time in the Tower. Towards the end of my sojourn I was visited alone and off the record by an elder in what turned out to be a preliminary fact-finding mission. He basically wanted to know if I'd been banging this chick I was seeing at the time. It was none of his business, but I hadn't banged her so I told him no. Next, instead of giving me some scriptural admonition, he goes into this rant about how I could get back the "privleges" I'd lost with time if I would just stop seeing this chick and come back to the meetings. I'm saying to myself; "Is this really all they have for you in what could be a time of spiritual emotional crises?" Here I am on the verge of leaving a belief system I'd given a third of my young life to. I can say with all sincerity that passing along the microphones and handing out literature at the counter where not all that big of a deal to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit