ELVIS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING....

by Mary 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Well, tomorrow's the big 3-0 since Elvis checked out. Where were you when you heard the news? We were getting ready for the Meeting and heard it on the news. Ya I cried. At the meeting that night, one of the elders told us younguns that we should NOT be talking about Elvis in Jehovah's house of Worship.

Anyone here been to see Graceland?

• Open mind
    Open mind

Elvis was from the Debil according to my parents. Along with just about every other non-Country musician in the 20th Century.

Can't remember exactly where I was when I heard the news, but I can remember this.

Some huge Elvis fan JW was at our house and somehow convinced my parents to turn on the TV. There he was in all spandex, rhinestone, pot-bellied glory.

It wasn't a pretty sight. Later on though I became a pretty big fan and still am.

Thanks for reminding us Mary.

Open Mind

• Arthur
    Arthur
    one of the elders told us younguns that we should NOT be talking about Elvis in Jehovah's house of Worship.

LOL He was probably one of those Judaizers who felt that Elvis had been a corrupting influence on society. According to him; the way in which Elvis shook and gyrated his body was probably viewed as suggestive and licentious. It was much safer to deaden one's body members by watching Lawrence Welk or Perry Como.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

omg i just realized i'm the age elvis was when he died

i better not do any drugs on the toilet!!

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

My beloved step-mom died the same day.

She stood on the side of a 4 lane highway and pretty much jumped in front of a car, according to witnesses.

I was 19 and it broke my heart.

Everytime I hear or see Elvis, I think of how much I loved Gail.

• knock knock
    knock knock

I worked with my brother and now xbrotherinlaw and we stopped in at a 7-11 to get drinks after work. My brother stayed in the car and when we came back to the car he was kind of shocked and telling us that we would never guess who just died. I couldn't guess. That sort of thing you know.
    I was never an Elvis fan but I feel sorry for the misery he endured - though he surely brought a lot of it on himself.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I was 17, living on my own, renting a room out behind this huge old house. kind of a creepy house.

I went to pay the rent. The son of the place(who was older than me) came to the door in like striped jeans and white shoes and sox.......uggggg dirty .........oh almost forgot, he drew his eyebrows on!!!!!.......and his mom was standing sorta in the distance behind him. She was the size of about an 12 yr old girl, with this yellow like formal little girls dress, little see thru sleeves and flowers on the front bodice, and little bows .....like a little kids cheap dressy dress, The dress was wearing her!!

So he opens the door and says to me ........"The King is Dead!" I was thinking King? I did not say anything for a little bit and then said I am sorry. And he went on to tell me how great the king was. I still had no idea who "the King" was. I figured him and his mom to be wackos and was just trying to get the hell out of there.

He opened the door farther and then I saw ............TONS of elvis memorabalia.......mags, albums, posters, dishes, I cant remember what all. These two were definately distraught. It was horrible.

I was not an elvis fan or follower........so it did not register with me at all till i got older.

I have been to Graceland. A friend of mine from London came over and he was so disappointed the house was so much smaller than he thought it would be and also, the gates to Graceland were very small.

The museum across the street was awesome. And I had a new appreciation for Elvis.

I have also been to Tupelo MS where Elvis was born and got a complimentary guitar shaped flyswatter that I still have!~!~!~!!!!!!!

Its a little town that has signs everywhere that says Birthplace of Elvis. I was there for a furniture show, not to visit the birthplace of Elvis, but they really play it up.

purps

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

I was -8 years old when Elvis died.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Anyone here been to see Graceland?

Yes, this past spring. Not because I've ever been a big Elvis fan, but it was part of a bike tour/cruise we took down the Mississippi. I'm glad I went, though.

It isn't really a mansion - it's just a large house with a lot of rather tacky 70's decorating. I could see how it was probably, in his time, considered a home fit for a king, but it was not what I expected. On the grounds were the burial plots of Elvis, his mom and dad, his twin brother Aaron and his grandmother, with a flame burning. Tributes of flowers and such from all over the world arrive regularly and are placed near the graves.

There's a detached indoor racquet ball court, horse stalls, offices in the back yard. Not particulary large or secluded - you can see neighbors' rather ordinary backyards over the rear fence of Graceland.

The bathroom where he died was closed off.

• mouthy
    mouthy

HIS WIFE IS ON LARRY KING NOW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit