Nancy Yuen featured on the July 15, 1979 Watcthower has passed on.

by What-A-Coincidence 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I remember going to see her at a Kingdom Hall in the UK when she was touring the country.

She seemed nice.

I understood her husband was not Chinese & she could have left the country with him & her children.

Instead she insisted in going door to door where it was banned & then spent 20 years in solitary.

Couldn't she have achieved more raising her children in another land & doing the door to door preaching work there?

Who apart from some JW's remembers her stand?

Did God require her to do what she did?

Or was it a man made organisation that thought it knew God's will??

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

What always bothered me about the Nancy Yuen case was that she had her husband and little children waiting for her in Hong Kong. The Chinese government actually granted her an exit visa, which they very seldom did at that time. What was wrong with taking the exit visa, joining your family in HK, and preaching there? She had to have known that the Chinese government was losing patience with her and she was going in if she went door to door again. They were actually pretty lenient on her, and gave her several chances to stop. If you want to make a martyr out of your own life, then so be it. People with children depending on them should take the other way out. As it turned out, she served 20 or so years, her kids grew up without a mother, and the WTS used Nancy Yuen and her suffering as a way to guilt-trip everyone else into pioneering. What did her sojourn in China actually accomplish? Not a whole lot. The government loosened restrictions on Witnesses, but this was due to the gradual opening up of the Chinese market and globalization. The few thousand there are mostly settled in Hong Kong - exactly the place Nancy Yuen refused to go.

• Gayle
    Gayle

how many children? and did the husband and children become JWs ever?

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Nancy Yuen had four children by 1953. Her husband fled to Hong Kong in 1953 with the children. Yuen stayed for three more years and got arrested for the final time in 1956. She was released in 1968 and applied for the exit visa again, but was thrown into jail again for preaching in 1970. They finally tired of her in 1979, and deported her immediately to Hong Kong.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I cannot understand how/why a mother doesn't go with her children leaving a threatening country. Not respectful, honorable nor loving. Yet she was "glorified" by the WTS.

• ptt7000

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit