What Does Being Spiritual Mean To You?

by sweet pea 26 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Right now, to me being spiritual is all about being led by your inner spirit and includes

1. Being in tune with the goodness within and treating people how you would like to be treated.
    2. Being in tune with nature and appreciating the beauty and complexity of the universe.
    3. Recognising there is a higher power and worshipping in a way that feels right but does not
    include meetings 3x a week, field service etc, or going to a church. Just talking internally
    to this 'Being' counts, together with the above.

Thoughts?

• RAF
    RAF

all together : being able to overlook what is egocentric and material

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I agree with 1 and 2, but not 3. I dont believe there is any higher power and feel no inclination to worship anything or anyone.

Spiritual to me is appreciation of the intrinsic beauty and impermanence of nature.

Its in the crunch of acorn shells dropped on my head as I unlock my door, by errant careless squirrels.

Its in the rush of invisible flood waters beneath the roads i walk to come home.

Its in the engravings I make on my body and the dizzying heights of separation from myself I achieve with that.

Its in a baby's eyes which return my stare unflinchingly. (Try it - see who blinks first.)

Its in the unbearable sadness of being.

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

I believe in all 3 of those statements. Being spiritual isn't about outward appearances, getting in 1o hours a month or having to be seen doing the ministry. The pioneer sisters in the field service arrangement I use to take, may have put in 70 hours a month, but they were nasty little bitches. Yet the elders used to praise them for their seemingly outward spirituality, while inside they were rotten to the core.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hi Sweet Pea.

Great question.

Being spiritual for me includes recognising the undeniable evidence that, yes, there is a God, a supreme being who caused life to exist. Being able to take note of the wonderment that is present in every life form in on the planet. Being good stewards of this home that is earth and doing all that I can to try and not upset its ecological balance.

As it pertains to human relations, to recognise that though we all are born of an original life force, inner-connected through blood and bone, some of us are not as willing to accept this as fact. Due to their ignorance of the above said matters, people are not always going to live within the confines of the universal law of the spirit. What we put into this life, we get back. As a basic general rule, we WILL reap what we have sown. There will always be chaos and confusion because of man's refusal to recognise the boundaries and limitations that must be respected in every dealing in this world.

• RAF
    RAF

Prophecor : chaos and confusion because of man's refusal to recognise the boundaries and limitations that must be respected in every dealing in this world.

wow ... (well said)

• compound complex
    compound complex

For starters ... seeing the unseen .... l'essentiel est invisible aux yeux ... what is important cannot be seen ... Le Petit Prince ... Antoine de Saint-Exupery

CoCo Le Content

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You have just summed up the basis of all religion - which is a great understanding of spirituality.

3. Love God

1. Love Neighbour

Unfortunately, religion institutionalizes these two concepts, attempting to define spirituality as contingent on heirachy, following rules and paying money.

• RAF
    RAF

CoCo : For starters ... seeing the unseen .... l'essentiel est invisible aux yeux ... what is important cannot be seen ... Le Petit Prince ... Antoine de Saint-Exupery

This talks to me a lot too ...

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

The core of everyone's spirituality should be about the same. It is the outer shell and manifestations that would be different.

Even people who say they don't believe in a "higher power" actually do. Can anyone conquer Nature or the Universe? No. At a minimum, you are bowing down to the power of nature (hurricanes, monsoons, tornados, et al) and the Universe (asteroids, meteors, radiation of various types, etc.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit