What Does Being Spiritual Mean To You?

by sweet pea 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Madtiger - I was saying that I don't believe in a CONSCIOUS SENTIENT higher power. I thought it went without saying that the elements are more powerful. I may feel like krakatoa today - doesnt mean I am. Do I also need to clarify that there are man made constructs of greater power than myself?

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Crack-a-toe-eh?

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Spiritual to me is appreciation of the intrinsic beauty and impermanence of nature.

Borrowing a line above from crumpet and emphasizing that I include our own impermanence too.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Crack-a-toe-eh?

MadTiger - thanks for taking my ill humour in good humour.

• whyizit
    whyizit

I believe much the same as you.

Spirituality recognizes that there is a world that is invisible to us and there are powers that we cannot see at work. There are also different types of spirtuality. The type that wishes to decieve and do harm, and the type that wishes to do only good and does so without any deciept whatsoever.

The type of spiritual person I long to be is the type that manifests the Holy Spirit in the sense of Gal. 5:16 and Gal. 5:25. (The fruit of the Spirit, in my own way.)

It isn't a steadfast condition. It is something that must be maintained. If you flounder in your spiritual life, you will lose something of it. You can get it back, but as with anything, it takes time and obedience. You have to be willing to pursue it. It's very easy to get side-tracked. That is something I struggle with.

I take my lead from reading about Jesus. I see in the Bible that He was a Spiritual person. He was NOT religious at all. (See how He reacted to the Pharisees!)

MY favorite shirt has emblazoned on the front: "Having a religion is against my relationship."

Following my spiritual instincts, rather than religious rules has truly made me a different and better person.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Hiya Mate

Great question. I believe it's all about connection and growth.

I'm reading a great book at the mo called "The Road Less Travelled" by Scott Peck.

He makes no distinction between spiritual growth and mental growth.

It's an exploration of love and spirituality. Great read.

Pub

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Does anyone think it may be possible to connect spiritually with a higher power while not actually recognising or acknowledging it?

• Terry
    Terry
    1. Being in tune with the goodness within and treating people how you would like to be treated.

1.Ethical

2. Being in tune with nature and appreciating the beauty and complexity of the universe.

2.Aesthete*

3. Recognising there is a higher power and worshipping in a way that feels right but does not
    include meetings 3x a week, field service etc, or going to a church. Just talking internally
    to this 'Being' counts, together with the above.

3.Superstitious

* Relating to the sense of the beautiful and to heightened sensory perception in general.
    www.ackland.org/tours/classes/glossary.html
  • ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I agree 100% with 1 and 2. For me, no god, no jesus......

nj

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Could you be 1, 2 and 3 or any combination of, and NOT be spiritual?

Just exploring

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit