Sean Penn and Danny Glover can go to hell

by Wordly Andre 55 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

Sorry Six of Nine You need to study up on Chavez. Once a budding democracy, Venezuela under Chavez is rapidly turning into an autocratic Marxist state.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Hugo Chavez is an interesting character. Most of the Americas love the guy, and his last speech to the United Nations was received with rapturous applause.

steve

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

You don't live in "Bush's America", you live in The United States of America. By sucking up to the enemies of America, you aren't being anti-Bush, you're being anti-allUSCitizens. It's not rocket science.

...right-wing violence mongers...

You really nailed me down in that stereo-typical box!

Chavez is currently in the process of doing to Venezuela what Mugabe has done to Zimbabwe. You don't need his help to replace the current administration. Why are lefty pinko surrender-monkeys so damned obtuse??

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Most of the Americas love the guy, and his last speech to the United Nations was received with rapturous applause.

Anybody these days bashing America, regardless of who it is or what he/she is saying, will get applause.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

steph, good call.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Yeah yeah. We have our own civil liberties to protect, and our own worries about a too powerful Executive.

In 2006 Hugo Chavez was reelected for a second six year term and won 62% of the vote in his country. He's been fairly heavy handed dealing with his opposition, but then again, his opposition (sometimes funded and aided by the USA), have attempted coups against him (and even succeeded for a short time, until literally the-will-of-the-people forced them to relent). He can't just sit back and let them plot against his government unfettered, now can he?

He nationalized the country's oil industry. That's what made him an "enemy" of the Bush administration, and that's why he showed up on your radar screen via Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc etc.

God forbid a country use it's natural resources to actually help it's own poor and middle class!

Until he does something far worse than just choosing-a-different-business-model, neither Hugo Chavez nor the Venezuelan people are an enemy of me or my country.

How refreshing it would be to see the-will-of-the-people actually be a force to be reckoned with in the U.S. again sometime.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

My post wasn't to parade Chavez. It was to show that most of the planet agrees with the Chavez opinion of the current US administration.

In fact, the current front runners for presidency , republican and democrat, don't agree with the current administration direction either.

So, as much as you can ridicule this person, which is easy, remember that most of the planet agrees with him on touchy issues.

steve

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"Anybody these days bashing America, regardless of who it is or what he/she is saying, will get applause."

And it never seems to occur to right wingers that perhaps that isn't really a very healthy position for our country to be in.

I guess when your head is in a vacuum of sorts, it's easy to think that America can and does exist in a vacuum.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    He nationalized the country's oil industry. That's what made him an "enemy" of the Bush administration, and that's why he showed up on your radar screen via Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc etc.

Oh, you know me so well!

Unlike you, Mr Djibouti, I actually do live where my profile says I live. I don't watch Fox News, and I can't stand Hannity. I've never, ever listened to anything by Limbaugh. Can we drop the stereotyping now, please?

For me the situation is no more about oil than Zimbabwe is. It's about crackdown on liberty in a former democracy. Chavez is in the process of establishing a one party state and rule by decree. He's not just nationalising oil, he's nationalising other stuff. For the first time in modern history, Venezuela is having food shortages, Cuba and Zimbawe style. Chavez's actions are classic, as are the results: enact the policies of failed dictatorships, and you get the same kind of failed economies.

Would Glover and Penn be happy if the US film industry were nationalised? Would you write off their complaints as "only those of a vested interest"?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    And it never seems to occur to right wingers that perhaps that isn't really a very healthy position for our country to be in.

And it never occurs to you not to applaud, either, it would seem. I was always of the opinion that if something wasn't healthy, I shouldn't be a partaker thereof.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit