Where do you go?

by jaguarbass 25 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Your plans will change based on this new understanding, because now you know that this life is not a dress rehearsal for something yet to come.

This is IT.

This has always been IT.

Pure and unmitigated truth.

I struggled for years with the terms agnostic and atheist.

I went to an atheist meeting to get some clear definition. One of the long-time members helped clear it up by telling me -- by the strictest definition everyone is agnostic. That is, nobody can prove or disprove the existence of a deity that may have originated the universe.

The question that must be faced is, do you choose to live with belief in a God, or do you choose a different route? Some agnostics (i.e., some people) choose to believe for various reasons. Others choose not to . The latter people by definition are atheist.

So you too may be atheist. Many really are, but don't call themselves that. The reason is that many people have a negative assessment of the word atheist, thinking godless equates to immoral hedonism or angry anti-Christianism. In many or most cases though, atheists are not anti-theist (actively preaching against the idea of God). They simply do not care to live their life in that paradigm. Many atheists like myself have some doubt about whether God exists, but simply choose not to rely on that because it seems like such a fantasy.

I thought you might enjoy the following, Gopher.

Is the definition of an Atheist really someone who denies the existence of God?

By capella

Belief or without belief. Assertion or lack of assertion.

The words atheist and atheism are inaccurately defined in many dictionaries as someone who is a disbeliever/denier or has a doctrine that there is no God. Some dictionaries even include in their definitions phrases such as “immoral” or “someone with nothing to touch their inner being.”

My experience is that most atheists think an atheist is someone that is simply without any belief in gods.

This may not sound like a significant distinction to some, but it’s very important because sometimes atheism is portrayed as an assertion of a negative, which is a false argument. Sometimes atheism is also portrayed as a religion or doctrine which comes down to a matter of faith.

Although some dictionaries at least include the “without belief” phrase, the problem seems to be that dictionaries are about the common use of words, not whether the concept is necessarily valid.

For example:

“A nether world in which the dead continue to exist : (2) : the nether realm
    of the devil and the demons in which the damned suffer everlasting punishment.”
    (Merriam-Webster definition of “Hell”)

“The appearance of the sky when the sun starts to rise”
    (Cambridge Dictionary definition of “sunrise”)

Although these definitions are how the words are probably most often used, some people might not agree that the definition of hell was factual and many people would agree that the sun doesn’t really “rise” (it appears to rise because of the turning of the earth).

Again, nit-picky? Yes, but the atheism definitions are often pulled out of dictionaries and paraded in discussions about the validity of atheism as if they are precise, valid, technical definitions.

Isn’t a lack of belief agnosticism?

Yes, but an agnostic is someone who asks a question about the existence of a particular god or gods and says that the answer is unknowable. The difference is that the atheist is not asking a question.

Does this imply the atheist thinks the matter is settled? No, it just means the atheist is not pursuing the question any more than the atheist would have a burning desire to know if Fred Flintstone exists.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks for posting that, nvrgnbk.

The words atheist and atheism are inaccurately defined in many dictionaries as someone who is a disbeliever/denier or has a doctrine that there is no God.

That's what I had always though before, that atheists were defined as definitely denying the existence of a God. This definition seems crafted to be off-putting to a believer.

Some dictionaries even include in their definitions phrases such as “immoral” or “someone with nothing to touch their inner being.”

These dictionaries weren't put out by the News Corp. by any chance? Talk about slanted !!

My experience is that most atheists think an atheist is someone that is simply without any belief in gods.

I would believe we atheists should be allowed to define ourselves, thank you very much. Even though the article seems to quibble with this definition, it's the one that seems to clarify the subject in the fewest number of words.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Your plans will change based on this new understanding, because now you know that this life is not a dress rehearsal for something yet to come.

This is IT.

This has always been IT.

Hello Nathan. You could be right and the best I could come up with for todays reality is I spent a couple of hours on my computer and went to the gym.Then I'll go spend 8 hours at work and sleep 8 hours and get up and do it again. But it is my choice. I am not forced to go here or there.

But like Peggy Lee sang, "Is that all there is"

Since 1983 my plans havent included going to the meetings. Which is most excellent!

• Open mind
    Open mind

Where do you go?

To this cheesy piece of "bubble gum" from the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-KMPvgKPo

Sorry. Couldn't resist when I saw the thread title.

Open Mind

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

"Does this imply the atheist thinks the matter is settled? No, it just means the atheist is not pursuing the question any more than the atheist would have a burning desire to know if Fred Flintstone exists."

that's it in a nutshell, at least that's how I see it.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

jaguar, i was wondering if you got a chance to see that video i sent, and wanted to know if it helped you at all. i am also interested in what awakened had to say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit