Did you have to dress up for meeting?

by ericr 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

LOL on denim being satan's fabric, Bobbi. I had a very dressy denim dress with a lace collar that I got counseled for wearing.

I never required my sons to wear jackets in the summer. Our hall wasn't air conditioned. I also let them wear polo shirts. Hmmm, now I think I see why I was always considered "on the outer fringes of the sheep pasture.":)

I absolutely refuse to wear pantyhose in the summer now, on the very rare occasions that I wear a dress.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Denim skirts are sexy!

• MsBHaving
    MsBHaving

Was it ever an option that you didn't have to dress up? I remember being repremanded for wearing a suit with dress pants because I had a third degree burn from a motorcycle on my leg. I was told how unappropriate it was for me not to wear a dress.

On another occasion my 16 year old son got out of work very late and went to the book study straight from work. He was admonished for not having a suit on. I was so angry I remember. I couldn't believe that instead of encouraging a young one for coming, they picked on him for what he was wearing. He stopped going to all meetings shortly after that. I think back now. and I should of stopped attending then as well, it took me another 10 years.

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

Overnight I remembered something else. Anyone from Alberta knows how cold it can get there. I was a regular Auxillary there for almost 2 years and after freezing thru the first winter, I started wearing pants under my skirts. I bought two long full black skirts a size too big and wore sweat pants under them. With tall boots and a long skirt no one noticed until we had to spend one morning is service digging the cars out of snowdrifts. I slipped and fell and that's when my secret was out. I got counseled that it was inappropriate for a sister to wear pants in service. I started doubling up on my tights after that which, if you have never worn tights before is really awkward, but I am sure i didnt' stumble anyone.

Anyone else have to bring a scarf to the meeting to cover your knees? I am not a tall woman and when I sit in the chairs my feet don't touch all the way, unless I am wearing heels. A below the knee skirt rides up to about an inch above and that is before trying to cross my legs. My mother and I got into trouble in one congregation for distracting the speaker with our uncovered legs. We were told that the brothers speaking could practically see up our skirts. So we started bringing scarves to the meetings. Wasn't what they wanted but we were not going to buy new clothes to suit some old fuddyduddy.

Bobbi

• Sassy
    Sassy

of course.. we all had to dress up..

its funny.. I've lost a lot of weight and still had clothes I had grown out of.. I've worn a couple of dressed to work and the first think I think is when I go to put one of them on is.. oh wow.. I feel like i am getting dressed for meeting..

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

i guess in florida they took out that pantyhose rule....i hardly ever wore pantyhose..and in summer sandals were appropriate...guess it really depends on the area....and the decade...hahahaha!!!!

• Sassy
    Sassy

I think in the warmer areas they were less needed..

to be honest in Minnsota in winter, you WANTED something on your legs to keep them warm when the cold Lake Superior wind chills of below zero temps come whistleing through

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

Dressing up for the meetings was mandatory, but it's not something that bothered me.. I still enjoy the dressed up look.

LTF

• TopHat
    TopHat

I didn't wear panyhose....just my underwear, under my skirt on hot days...I didn't go out in field service if the temps were over 80 or on cold days if the streets were to icy.

I remember two Motatcycle guys coming into the KH with all their leather and boot style. No one said anything to them...I think they were someone's study.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I remember some men dressing in very colorful suit/tie/shirt combinations. I think they actually enjoyed the opportunity to get dressed up. Not me. I haven't worn a suit in over a year now. I haven't had a haircut in over a year now. I usually shave, though... about once a week.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit