Did you have to dress up for meeting?

by ericr 42 Replies latest jw friends

• coaster
    coaster

there was no dress down option. so many people still see it that way that we are single handedly keeping JCPenny in bussines.

Damn suits...coaster

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I remember that even when we would go out to eat after the meeting, brothers would not take their ties, or even their suitcoats off. I remember the looks I would get from my sisters for doing so, like I had just commited fornication.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes - I still do - full suit + coat and shirt and tie

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

My mom was so strict that I couldn't even wear a long denim skirt to do the hall cleaning. Denim was satan's fabric. Pantyhose in July in Montreal at age 10. I only wear pantyhose now when the situation calls for it. ie: Company dinners(Formal) or 30 below. I never dressed my boys up in shirts and ties unless it was the memorial or the sunday of the convention. I love it when Paralipomenon gets all dressed up in suit and tie. He looks really good and I have flash backs to that lovely line of beautiful young brothers standing at the front of the hall looking oh so pious.

Now that I think about it, I think mom even insisted we wear skirts to the convention cleanup. I remember feeling really naughty when I went one year without her and I wore jeans. My friends and I all snickered at the little goody two shoes wearing dresses. Yikes, teenagers can be mean.

Bobbi

• Highlander
    Highlander
    Because of this I avoid dressing up when possible now.

Me too. I now refuse to wear a coat and tie. I don't care what the occasion is. I'm going to wear what I want, not what I have to wear.

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

I actually liked wearing a suit and tie, still do to business meetings. Gotta be a nice one though, no Sears specials. I actually clean up pretty good and if feels great to have a suit on, shows you mean business. Ahh, well...it works for me anyway.

BP

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I didn't mind dressing up, and I still do on occasion. My issue was that we didn't have a choice in the matter.

W

• choosing life
    choosing life

I absolutely hate to dress up and don't think I will ever wear panty hose again. They have ruined me for life. It is all part of their holier than thou attitude. They might get more attendance if they would just relax a little bit. They don't care if your burning up in the summer or running around in bare legs in the winter (except those oh so warm panty hose). I had several people tell me at the door I was crazy to be out in such weather dressed in such a ridiculous fashion.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Had to wear suit and tie for every meeting except book study, where it was a little more "casual", but still usually a shirt and tie underneath a v-neck sweater.

In field service it was also "casual", same as for book study. Never ever jeans though. Maybe if they were nice looking, beige colored jeans.

I don't think I would mind dressing up now, 'cause it's so rare anyway, but I was always happy to come home and be able to change.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

No..I always showed up naked and ate raw hamburger from a brown paper bag..Oddly,no one ever bothered me...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit