Can a staunch Democrat be good friends with a staunch Republican?

by journey-on 20 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes. Though here in Canada we would call it staunch Liberal to the staunch Conservative. My dad says Canadian Conservative is American Pinko Republican (Though he'd never use the word pinko). I'm mainly conservative in viewpoint, but I can be swayed by a good argument. People who hold their views for a reason, and can express those reasons with passion and integrity, I'll like. Even if we are on other sides.

There's a communist I want to read, because he says something inherintly right about how people operate. If he were alive, I'd learn Italian just so we could talk. Narkissos and I, I suspect, sit on different ends of the political spectrum. It doesn't matter. What he says matters.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I am surrounded by republicans at work, but I am pretty good friends w/ most of the people I work w/. So I do believe it is possible. It can be really frustrating, but it is still possible.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

Yes. I grew up listening to staunch Democrats and Republicans discuss politics for hours when our extended family would visit my Grandparents farm. My Mom is a lifelong liberal Unitarian and my Grandfather was a lifelong staunch Republican. Thank god they didn't discuss religion.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Absolutely.............my second son is a staunch, well informed Republican, and we are very close. I am not a Democrat, but he thinks I am. I truly am an Independent. My brother is Green Party and a real "tree hugger" environmentalist. He and my son get into some raging battles, arguments, at family gatherings, but they love each other, and always hug goodbye at the end of the evening, laughing.

My husband tends to be a Republican too, but not a Bush supporter. He never voted for him, because he thinks he is an imbecile. And he's right.

• animal
    animal

Sure... I have buds from all parties. I am neither nor, I think they are all crooked and self-serving, so I lean my way.

As was said, the main thrust is the discussion, minus party quotes or hate-speak.

Animal

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Political types are pretty brain dead to begin with. I dont see how it would matter.

There is no republican, there is no democrat. There are the have and have nots. The party system is a means to keep it that way.

Thats probably not what you want to hear.

Religion and politics dont mix among friends.

Seriously, how could one have an intelligent conversation with a republican that supports anything George Bush does. The man would screw up a wet dream. How many times has that adult human bean fallen off his bicycle?

I know the numnut thing is all an act. But that just makes him that much more sinister to me.

And I am not a democrat for your information. I am independent. And vote for what is best for myself and Amerika. Sad to say I never have any one or anything to vote for. Wheres Ross Perot when you need him?

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I mostly agree with Jaguarbass, political tribalism sucks. They can be friends if they choose to value the other person and their ideas more than the ridiculous label people attach to themselves. As long as people with differing opinions attack the other's ideas rather than the person they can be friends, sure.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Nice pics, frozen one.

Thinking of the happy couple before I opened this page.

• animal
    animal

All of my friends and family talk politics... we are very active in politics. We can disagree without attacking each other, we all know opinions are just that and for the most part it is all we have. I draw the line when someone tries to force thier opinion on me or mine. It doesnt happen more than once.

I avoid all emotional responses to any political stuff, it just shows the tribal thing, blind faith in a party etc. Thats why I avoid anything political here on this site. Works for me.

Animal

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Yes, it is possible to get along and even marry an exact political opposite. My ex-husband and I used to joke about it on our way to the polling place, we'd be going to cancel out each other's votes. BTW he's an ex NOT because of politics.

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit