Dominican Republic- Does Anyone Live There ?

by gumby 34 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Never been to the Dominican Republic, but last year, Mrs Kabong and I went to the Island of Curacao. Curacao is an island south of the Dominican Republic and is part of the Netherlands Antilles. Beautiful Island, good economy, and friendly people. Long story short, we do know some of the locals, and saw a group of JW's preaching. I wonder how they can show people pictures of paradise on earth when, IMO, they are in paradise.

• animal
    animal

My daughter(16) was there for 2 weeks this summer, on a church mission trip. They rebuilt some orphanages, very poor area of the DR. She also said driving there is interesting, they saw a car go over a cliff.

Animal

• tinker
    tinker

I know a couple, JW Missionaries living there. They come home to the US every few years. I really do not keep in contact with them these days but they always said the Dominican is beautiful and a great vacation bargin. This was a few years back but they said you could rent a beach house for under $50 a day,with a housekeeper. In my younger more adventurous days I would have thought nothing of testing the waters in a 3rd world country. I did my share of travel, but now, hum.....I need a little more security and comfort that the developed world offers.

As others have said, if you can handle the lack of 911 available 24/7 and 'don't drink the water' I think the Dominican would be a fabulous place to explore. Just be aware and 'A-LERT' because as we know the world needs more 'Lerts' (very old joke-I couldn't help myself)

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

All I know about "the DR" is that it's basically like a young witness spring break down there. Now that Spanish is the latest trend with the Dub-lings all of them go down there to "serve where the need is greater."

• changeling
    changeling

Arroz con gandules!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

What I said about it in my above post is based on many visits.

I even gave public talks down there, once with a flashlight.

The power went out.

They started the generator.

The generator died.

They handed me a flashlight to finish the talk.

The girls in the street were hissing( that's how they flirt) and saying things that made me blush.

The island is beautiful and can be alot of fun.

I had a girlfriend from there when I got out of high school.

I also had a wife from there.

I guess you could say I have alot of mixed emotions about the place.

To those that say it's just like Haiti, I'm going to vehemently disagree.

Arroz con gandules!

! Eso!

Y sancocho..............................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

I have a full pot of sancocho in the nevera anyone care for some

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I have a full pot of sancocho in the nevera anyone care for some1

!Ay si! ?Con arroz blanco y una Presidente vestidita de novia?

!O pero bueno!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Some of my friends have travelled there on vacation - 2 weeks or more. One couple were mugged and robbed. Went to the hotel and asked for help - none. Finally found the police and reported the robbery - got nowhere. Having travelled all over the world, this is one place they would not go back to. Another couple stayed in a resort - it rained for the full 2 weeks, they hated the food - wouldn't go back. They did love Cuba though! Another couple loved the Dominican and would go back in a heartbeat - they liked the beaches, the people and so on. I personally think PRico sounds nicer to visit. sammieswife.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Vamanos a la casa de Juana! Come la comida criolla! Que SABROSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit