Dominican Republic- Does Anyone Live There ?

by gumby 34 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Hey folks, I want to know if anybody from here lives there or has lived there.

What is it like? Photo's?

Are the witnesses pretty much the same there as they are here in the U.S.?

In the future I'd like to travel there for a visit and see what it is like and was wanting to know if anyone can tell me a little about the country.

Gumby.....of the I'm to lazy to google it myself class

• ninja
    ninja

yet it took you longer to type that question

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Dancing( Merengue and Bachata)

Beer ( Presidente)

Rum ( Brugal and Barcelo)

Gorgeous women

Forward women

Overt government corruption

Nice beaches

Extreme poverty in some locales

A generally uneducated populace

Mangos

Plantains

Rice and beans

Decaying infrastructure

Mosquitos

Cheap public transportation

Horrible roads

Dangerous drivers

Frequent blackouts

• ninja
    ninja

much like scotland then?...apart from the beautiful women

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    much like scotland then?

Just a little warmer.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I live in Puerto Rico, right next door to "Santo Domingo" as the locals call it. Puerto Ricans like to make jokes about Dominicans. Dominicans try to get into Puerto Rico illegally. I've not been there myself, but I'd like to go someday. Some people go there and can't look past the poverty. If you fly there, you need a passport. If you take the ferry from Mayaguez, PR, you don't need a passport. You can fly to Puerto Rico without a passport. We use the US dollar here. There's lots to see and do. Many people speak English. Puerto Ricans are US citizens. On the other hand, it's crowded and the traffic is awful. Pictures? Go to Flickr and type in the name of your destination.

Dave

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think it is the same Island as Hatii. I work with a girl who is from Hati, her father is from the Dominican Republic. She would rather work 16 hour days here and sleep 2 hours a night than go back to Hati.

SAFETY AND SECURITY: American citizens should be aware that foreign tourists are often considered attractive targets for criminal activity, and should maintain a low profile to avoid becoming victims of violence or crime. In dealing with local police, U.S. citizens should be aware that the standard of professionalism might vary. Police attempts to solicit bribes have been reported, as have incidents of police using excessive force.

Protests, demonstrations, and general strikes occur periodically. Previous political demonstrations have sometimes turned violent, with participants rioting and erecting roadblocks, and police sometimes using deadly force in response. Political demonstrations do not generally occur in areas frequented by tourists and are generally not targeted at foreigners. However, it is advisable to exercise caution when traveling throughout the country. Street crowds should be avoided. In urban areas, travel should be conducted on main routes whenever possible. Power outages occur frequently throughout the Dominican Republic, and travelers should remain alert during blackout periods, as crime rates often increase during these outages.

U.S. citizens considering overland travel between the Dominican Republic and Haiti should first consult the Consular Information Sheet for Haiti as well as the Internet site of the U.S. Embassy in Port-au-Prince for information about travel conditions in Haiti. Santo Domingo and the majority of tourist destinations within the Dominican Republic are located several hours from the Haitian border, and recent events in Haiti have generally not directly affected these areas.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department’s Internet web site where the current Travel Warnings and Public Announcements, including the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, can be found.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

It's basically Haiti with a different Gov't.

If that's appealing to you jump right in!

• Hermano
    Hermano

Quisqueya!!!

• Mary
    Mary
    It's basically Haiti with a different Gov't.

In that case, I wouldn't recommend going, even for a vacation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit