Is the World Really More Violent Today?

by nvrgnbk 60 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Though we are much more efficient at killing people, violence is not nearly as acceptable as it was, say, a thousand years ago.

There are human rights tribunals.

We have international agreements on prisoner's rights, (First millenial citizen: "Prisoners have rights?") and restrictions on weapons proliferation.

Peace as a goal is a fairly new thought, probably brought on by the horrors of WWI. Now we have the technology to literally wipe mankind off the planet. Do we want to? Really?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks for those interesting insights, jgnat.

Peace as a concept en vogue in the wake of WWI?

My father would say that's Satan's way of resisting God's Kingdom. LOL!

But I thought Satan is the cause of all the increase in violence.

It's all so clear.

Like mud. LOL!

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Yes, but it is relative. There are also more people on this earth than there has ever been before.

• brinjen
    brinjen

My father would say that's Satan's way of resisting God's Kingdom. LOL!

But I thought Satan is the cause of all the increase in violence.

My head hurts!

• DJK
    DJK

The type of violence may change.

If five percent of the populus were commiting violent crimes in 1990 and the population doubled since then, then there are twice as many violent people. Still only five percent, it will seem like more.

It's all statistics unless a cataclysmic event happens and I feel America will be in the middle of one within the next ten years.

DJK

• Terry
    Terry

Og is angry at Zog. He walks over and slaps him.

Next day, Zog picks up a stick and whacks Og.

Conclusion: the world is a more violent place.

The following week Og picks up a rock and pelts Zog.

Zog contrives a sling and zaps Og the following day.

Og fashions a bow and arrow and rains arrows down on Zog.

Zog escapes and makes a shield and contrives a sword out of flint.

Og smelts a bronze shield and sword and smashes Zog's flint sword in a duel.

Zog perfects a steel cutlass and bends Og's bronze sword in a melee.

Og grabs a horse and rides roughshod over Zog before he can respond.

Zog invents a saddle and lance and unseats Og easily.

And so it goes.

Violence is singular and personal until technology makes it plural and impersonal.

War changed when men stopped looking each other in the eye as they spilled one another's blood on the battlefield.

Technology isn't more violent. Technology is more effective at violence.

That is a distinction with a difference.

• 5go
    5go
    WWII was the deadliest time on earth. Between 50-70 million people died as a result of the war and resulting famine. Nearly 10-15 % of both Russia and Germany's population were wiped out.

Ratio wise WW2 was a rather civil war. In the past a culture fought to the last man. (I.E. like the Japanese nearly did) Wars of the past usualy ended in a nearly a 100% wipe out and the rest were taken as slaves.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I think the world is far more violent today then ever before.

For example, on the local news last night, a guy went into a liquor store, held up the cashier at gunpoint and demanded all the money from the cash register. Fortunately, they had security cameras inside the store.

The guy then jumped over the counter and struck the employee with the gun before fleeing into the street. He got away with over $2,000 in cash. Police reported that he was still on the loose at that time.

Does anyone need more evidence of the violence in the world today ?????

Rub a Dub

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I was leaning in the other direction, RubaDub.

Thanks for bringing me back to reality.

I hope the new world gets here soon.

Remember, even if it's late, it will arrive right on time. LOL!

• proplog2
    proplog2

Jaguarbass:

Sorry about the format. I just got a new computer and it has Vista for an operating system. My usual browser was buggy so I tried Firefox.

After I saw that post I spent all weekend trying to get my browser to work right with Vista.

I never claimed these were my own thoughts. By the way this was just "PASTE" not cut and paste. I could have summarized it and put a link but I really like Steven Pinkers stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit