Bums-----What Do You Think of Them?

by minimus 89 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

Interesting topic.

Not long ago there was a talk show that dedicated an hour to a guy that lived on the streets, no vices (drugs or the like), and they gave him $100,000. Within a matter of a few months, he was right back on the streets. He blew it all.

I think that many who live on the streets, figure that is their lot in life. They are comfortable in their dicomfort. If that makes sense.

I had a family member who never wanted anything beyond the very basics. A roof over the head, something to eat once a day. That's it! Heating, A/C, a car, even hot water.... was a non-issue. This person was fairly happy too. Lots of people called them a bum, but if they had a dime, they would gladly give it to someone they thought needed it more.

As long as they don't try to harm anyone, I figure they have a right to live how they see fit. I think they have sharp survival instincts. Smarter than we give them credit for. Efficient living. They don't even get Govt. checks, because they don't have addresses. Grateful for whatever good fortune comes their way daily. If none does today, well, tomorrow is another day!

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

the only time i gave a bum money, was when he had a sign that said, "i'm not going to b.s. you, i need beer money" i laughed and gave him a couple bucks. at least he was honest.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

FACT:

A disproportionate number of those who are homeless have severe mental illnesses, particularly schizophrenia.

Many self-medicate with drugs and alcohol.

• minimus
    minimus

Some bums are good. Some aren't.

• ninja
    ninja

I think they are full of crap

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I aint touching this topic with a 50-foot pole.

• coaster
    coaster

Of course I feel sorry for them. I now help out by giving them huge stacks of my old literature and inform them they may sell them at intersections for lots of money, or crinkle and cringle each page before wiping their arse with it.

Coaster

• anewme
    anewme

In my sweet naivety I thought of course our Minny was referring to the poor street urchins one sees lying in the doorways in busy cities or standing around on corners with visibly nothing to do.

Just this Friday I happened to be assigned with my husband to do some work for a business in old downtown San Francisco. We had to begin in the early hours of the morning. I was appalled at the sight of so many homeless and wasted people milling around. We drove round and round trying to find parking. While doing so we both became increasingly sickened by the filth and degraded condition of so many.

It was apparent that drugs and alcohol were behind much of the poverty. Young and old, men and women were precariously hanging on to life on the streets. The sight became unbearable for me and after searching in vain for over an hour for a suitable parking space for our big truck, we left in disgust.

Surely San Francisco is a beauty by the Bay, but some parts are truly a toilet.

• minimus
    minimus

"I think they are full of crap"......Ninja----LOL

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    FACT:

A disproportionate number of those who are homeless have severe mental illnesses, particularly schizophrenia.

Many self-medicate with drugs and alcohol.

Exactly and so who am I to judge. I always give money if I have any because it could so easily be me one day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit