JW apologists struggle with KM article...

by drew sagan 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gregor
    Gregor

Those of us who grew up immersed in Watchtower speak understand that the phrases "..does not recommend..." and "....let our Christian conscience guide us..." , are nothing more than WT commandments chiseled in stone. Of course, this type of phrasing leaves them wiggle room when they change their minds.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Ditto on that, Gregor.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This is my favorite quote from that thread:

Before I comment further, may I ask: Do you consider yourself one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with the organization overseen and governed by the "faithful and discreet slave" class that uses the Watchtower and other publications from the same publishing agency?

Those JWs are turning into damn lawyers.

(My apologies to any lawyers who may have been offended by my comment)

• still_in74
    still_in74
    A Witness has to "read between the lines" all the time

all Witnesses know this, especially elders. The WTS is infamous for NOT coming out and saying something outright. This is typical WT writing. All elders, WT Conductors, C/O's, D/O's, etc. all know that you have to read betweent the lines to really get the point. This is so when prophecies fail or doctrine is changed they can say they "never actually said that".

This also creates a need for those R&F that dont understand anything deep to look to the "wisemen" for guidance because they know how to read between the lines and I dont!

• Arthur
    Arthur
    Wow. Looks like that KM article was written especifically about that site. What an honor.

The KM article also mentions online debates. I am sure that someone at the Brooklyn "Tabernacle" is aware of the 607 debates between our posters Scholar and AlanF. These debates have drawn much attention. The JWD membership is growing to be sure. What is most disturbing about this site to the WTS is the access that people can gain to KMs, Watchtower study articles, and links to other WTS information that used to be confidential. I'm sure the popularity of Ray Franz's books, as frequently discussed on this forum chaps the hide of "High Priests" in Brooklyn.

The legalism of the JW organization comes through loud and clear with articles such as this KM QFR. I always say that the Watchtower articles in the study articles and the KM are a modern day Talmud - a massive collection of "theocratic law" similar to the first-century Jewish elaboration of the Law Covenant. It is humorous to see the organization criticize the legalism of the first-century Talmud, yet display the same reverence for organizational rules and regulations themselves.

• wednesday
    wednesday

Jws put many things in writing to protect themselves legally. The way they really feel is generally unwritten and passed along verbally . I saw this often and the elders would say the wts was under attack so they had to function this way. This wicked old system where Jehovah's org. had to protect themselves from evil apostates. Common sense will not work on them- they believe that they are God's only people and He is protecting them.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm
    Those JWs are turning into damn lawyers.

Well, this is not surprising considering the set-up and style of the organization today was started by JF Rutherford who was himself a lawyer.

By the way, does anyone have a pdf of this question boxk from the September KM?

Jeff S.

www.catholicxjw.com

• moshe
    moshe

- JW have been snoozing for about 97 years. I don't think this KM article will wake the majority of them up.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Some commentary on Stafford and the Sept OKM by one of his debating opponents:

http://www.aomin.org/index.php?itemid=2166

• changeling
    changeling

Did I mention that I think this issue is HUGE?

changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit