How Many Here Actually Lock Their Doors At Night?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

I lock doors, windows (curtains closed, too), and car doors even when I'm home. Curtains are open and since I can see the car from my window, on a hot day, I will open the car windows but keep it locked. Sometimes, during the day the house windows are open but door always locked.

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Locks everywhere, yes. Alarms, too. Guns in the house and we know how to use them. A large dog and a smaller yappy one.

We've had people break into our home, people with their noses against our windows, watching us inside, an armed intruder at night (my son awoke and the intruder ran), peeping Toms hiding in trees or bushes watching from a distance, identity theft from our mailbox contents, etc.

The list goes on and on. The least safe we've ever been was when we lived in the country, like we do now. When there are fewer people around, the dangerous ones feel they have less chance of getting caught. Lack of street lights, of close neighbors, of people who would notice strangers lurking nearby, all contribute to the sense of invincibility of the criminally minded.

Husband was state patrolman and then federal cop until retirement. Two sons are cops. We had cop cars in the driveway. That seemed to make us a more fun target. They'd wait for the car to be gone, and then come over.

Husband is a minority and I'm not, so that attracted more crazies.

Now we're on 15 acres, on a hill with lovely views, but no close neighbors. Last week I found cigarette butts in the garden. Footprints showed someone had stood by some huge trees, probably watching the house, and smoked several cigarettes. There was no reason for anyone to be there.

No place is safe. You have to protect yourself to the best of your ability. We changed the side door lock to a combination lock so that whenever we are outside, we can lock it and never worry about getting locked out if we don't have a key. If I can't see the door, it's locked.

Today, hubby and I installed a driveway alarm. It's set to alert us to any vehicles, or adult-sized people walking.

Does all this make us sound crazy ourselves? To some maybe it does. I'd rather be a little crazy in being overly cautious than to be someone's next victim. A sad commentary on the world, isn't it?

Love your neighbors, but protect yourselves from the dangerous.

SusanHere

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Lock the doors? Hell, my wife puts up the iron gates, fire alarms, burgular alarms, sets out the hounds....hungry I might add....loads all of the shot guns, sets the trip wires and sleeps with a Machete.

That enuff?

BP

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I have burgalar bars in the back 4 dogs and a deadbolt on the front. Then I lock the room I sleep in. I am a detention officer. I know what people are accused of being in jail for. I have 1 locked up now for home invasion and 1st degree murder.

I dont consider myself paranoid, you and my wife may disagree. I just say I have good habits and I am a slave to them. I have done what I can, lock my doors after that I dont sweat it.

I know cops and detention officers that have guns hid all over their houses, above the window, in drawers , on bookshelves, in their boot, so they can grab one if they are invaded.

When I sit in my den music studio during the day I lock that door also so someone can not sneak up on me when I am playing music.

• bebu
    bebu

Wow, Susan--what state do you live in? You're not crazy at all to invest like that after all the events you described. I'd do the same.

Black Pearl... You mean Lady Liberty loads shot guns, keeps the dogs hungry, and sleeps with a machete...??? Wow... (gulp)

My sister's family has never locked their doors for years. And they live in a large city in WA.

We lock the doors at night. We have a dog that alerts us to every visitor, so no one can just come on in easily. Motion sensor lights help, too. My neighbor tells me he's been hit several times... but his yard is full of "toys" like quads and bikes, while our boring home just boats a patio and table. I guess he attracts the attention away from us.

bebu

• Purza
    Purza

Yep -- lock the doors and check them about 5 times before I turn in. (That is my OCD at work).

I have two older cars that I used to leave unlocked. Then one morning my husband went downstairs to find the doors of both cars open. We knew it was some punk kids because all they took was a CD player in the glove box -- which was a POS anyway. They didn't even take the $10 in the change slot. Lame.

Anyway, just to be on the safe side, everything gets locked up. And yes, having a dog helps alert us to anyone even walking by our house at night.

Purza

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Sassy: I'm in the Highwood area south of Battle Creek.

Not a 'bad neighborhood' but they don't invade many homes in their own area, they go where there's a nice big house on a bunch of land with some nice cars out front to score.

Black Pearl: A machete? Damn that's hardcore! I sleep with my .40, a Remington 870 shotgun, and me girlfriend who sleeps with her .38 in our locked room. After she gets up for work, I sleep with the .40 in my hand. There's a rack nearby where I can lay my hands on an SKS or two, or more scatterguns.

Nathan Natas: You aren't kidding. I have seen firsthand how brutal and savage the badguys are, and how they lust for blood and terror, I don't intend to give them any except their own. Never Again, to me or mine.

So, I lock it all down, stay armed and vigilent, and have armed my GF and daughter.

We do what we can,

Roller

• free2think
    free2think

I lock everything. You can never be too careful where i live.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Good Grief you people are scaring the sh#t out of me !

We have never locked our doors unless we leave on vacation . I guess we need to change our habits . We do have a dog that barks at everything !

Until this past year we left our keys in our cars when parked in the drive-way ...no one would want them !

Now we have a new car so we changed that .

One time a kid that knew my son came in when i was at work and drank my Vodka ! His mom caught him drunk and after getting a confession from him made him come over and tell me what he did .

Another time we were packing our car very early in the morning to go to on vacation and a really drunk kid walked in the back door . He didn't know where he was or who we were, just got lost going outside the neighbors house for a pee.

But seriously you have all got me paranoid now .

• John Doe
    John Doe

I don't lock much. I've never had any problems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit