For the women...

by erandir 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Confession
    Confession

Funny, but also offensive.

Animals, such as goats were possessions to the ancients, (and still are). Basically, women are being compared to cattle, with 'alternative' uses!

While we are certainly in agreement regarding the WTS, I don't think I can agree with the above conclusion. The Song of Solomon was beautiful prose. The writer was merely comparing a beautiful woman to something else that (perhaps in his day) was considered beautiful. True, goats may have been kept as possessions--but hinds (deer) weren't. Also true, the translation doesn't quite make sense to us today--at least in the part of the world where I live--but concepts and representations of beauty come and go.

Yes, we cringe at how women were sometimes treated in former times, but I submit that, in these verses, the writer is simply trying to be romantic in the way he knew how.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Are you sure Solomon couldn't come up with better, more elegant language? (Well maybe he was feeling lustful and animalistic.)

He had all the world's wealth and knowledge, and royal people supposedly came from all around the world to hear his "wisdom". I don't know if he would use such farm-boy terms to impress his wealthy visitors. I could be wrong, of course.

• avengers
    avengers
    Flanders = red beer

I'll have one of those. Must be a new kind.

3 Your breasts are like two fawns,
    twins of a gazelle.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I have a lovable hind, large as it is.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Welcome back.....

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Stealth - you stalker!

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more, say no more.

Good to see you back.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

"Your nose is like the tower of Lebanon"

oh gee, thanks

• rebel8
    rebel8

“… man is advantaged by a greater brain size…it is in the best interests of both sexes for man to take the lead … women must learn the art of ‘eternal acquiescence’ … in dealing with their husbands if they want to find happiness." Awake 8/22/1967

“… women make monkeys … of men.” Vindication 1931

“… the head of a woman is the man … the husband is directed to assign his wife honor as to a weaker vessel … He may give her first choice when no issue is at stake … She listens to him, does not always strive to get her way … not trying to dominate her husband...” Watchtower 8/1/1999

“… [A woman] should never forget that … her career is caring for the … well-being of her family … if she had responsibilities of oversight … her health would suffer.” Awake 8/22/1967

"Large herds of cattle, both male and female, wander over the plains feeding. Ordinarily the male or bull would not think of approaching the female or cow for sex purposes...However, when the female of the species is in condition to breed, she makes the matter known. If there is no male in the herd, she will go elsewhere looking for one and she is unsettled until she finds one and then is bred by him. Now she is contented, and the end result is a calf...As with a cow, when a young girl who has reached her puberty is in physical condition to conceive and become pregnant, her sex emotions are greatly aroused...There are cases where a girl became pregnant as a result of one sex interview with a boy. What a price for a girl, a virgin, to pay for a few minutes of satisfied sex emotions!...It is high time for girls to understand the make-up of their bodies and its functions, especially with regard to sex. Then if a girl understandingly takes care of herself while the ovum is at large and is causing sex disturbance and cravings within her, she will be able to act like a true lady of irreproachable morals at all times. She will avoid the violating of her virginity and the shame and conscience-stricken state due to this; and wisely she will direct her young life so as to end up in the position of a clean, happy wife and mother of legitimate children, journeying to the new world of righteousness, where there will be no sex problems amid a sex-crazy population." Watchtower - 1961 December 15

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    I never have, nor ever will be attracted to mountain goats....

ESPECECIALLY ones with nice butts....

<----------How about zebra butts?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit