Bridge collapse in Twin Cities, MN

by frozen one 54 Replies latest jw friends

• life is a bowl of cherries
    life is a bowl of cherries

Gopher, and Roller Dave and all of the others, I have tried to get to a computer for 24 hours to check and see how you were. I am so grateful you are ok. I pray for the others.

A couple of months ago, there was a thread about how you will die. Dying in water, in your car, was one of them. I cry everytime I watch TV and see the bridge.

• ninja
    ninja

was there a mothman there over the last few months?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i am absolutely astounded that so far only 5 people have died.

i would have thought that the death toll would have been much higher.

and now its looking like thousands of bridges across the u.s. are being re-examined and a 20 year plan costing billions to strengthen or rebuild is to be put into action

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Wow, I just heard about this from Gopher last night! How awful- I really should watch the news more often.

• Sassy
    Sassy

yeah.. I was surprised the numbers are not higher too.. and they are saying they have only about 8 unaccounted of (that they are aware of).. which my guess is it will be 5 + 8... for their total..

I talked to ColdRedRain last night on yahoo.. he is fine.. plotting his devious plots for the DC he has to go to ... but that is another story

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I talked to ColdRedRain last night on yahoo.. he is fine.. plotting his devious plots for the DC he has to go to ... but that is another story

Good! Thanks, Sassy! And lol at the last statement.

You just never know when someone could be in one certain place on any given day, you know. I don't work in New York City but that doesn't mean there's no chance of me or anyone here being in the tunnels or on our massive bridges randomly sometime.

• badboy
    badboy

THE DEATH TOLL IS NOW SIX

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I just went to Pittsburgh for the first time, I was there when it happened.

The bridges downtown are beautiful and I wanted to drive over every one of them.

Really sucked the joy out of that when I heard about the collapse. I feel so bad for all those folks.

I am so glad you all are all right.

• Gopher
    Gopher

It's good news that the death count is going to be lower than most people expected at first.

These factors may have been involved:

1. Even though it happened at rush hour, there were far fewer cars than normal on the bridge due to construction. (The strain from the construction equiprment may have been a factor in the collapse, though.)

2. The bridge is partly over water and partly over land, especially on the south side where the railroad tracks run. Many of the cars landed on the land, increasing survival chances.

3. There was quick thinking and good response from some of the victims helping each other and of course the responders who acted efficiently.

4. Minneapolis actually had INVESTED in an 800-Megaherz communication system to be used by emergency responders in situations like this. The investment was very controversial at the time, viewed by legislators of a certain stripe to be "too costly to the taxpayers". While the cell phone systems were failing, this high-tech communication system functioned perfectly and helped save lives.

• Simon
    Simon

It's astounding that things like this can happen in 'modern' prosperous countries.

A lot of the news sites detail many thousands of bridges in worse states of repair and desparate for maintenance. It seems the infrastructure is crumbling due to neglect and under-funding.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit