Bridge collapse in Twin Cities, MN

by frozen one 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

Simon,

I was about to start a thread on that very topic. After my initial shock and sadness at what happened here (I was only 2-3 miles from the bridge), I started to feel disgust and anger.

This past spring, Minnesota's governor had vetoed a well-crafted transportation and infrastructure bill which had good support from the Democrats and Republicans. Why? Because he was sticking to a no-new-tax pledge, and the bill required a FIVE CENT increase in the gas tax, which has held steady since 1988. So forget about investing in our state's future. It's more important to have a high national profile as the "low tax Republican governor".

Meanwhile in Washington DC the President is pursuing a war which will cost America over $1 trillion dollars, and at the same time he wants to cut taxes (especially for those in higher income brackets). So instead of investing in making our own country great, we spent billions and billions in the sinkhole known as Iraq and won't even raise a tax to help our bridges, schools, sewer systems, and aviation systems, all of which are deteriorating.

No wonder America is starting to crumble.

• badboy
    badboy

IN ONE CALIFORNIA COUNTY,THERE ARE SAYING 36 BRIDGES MIGHT HAVE PROBLEMS.

• mouthy
    mouthy

How terribly sad. I pray they find the lost -even if they are gone...To wonder if they are suffering is awful
    Simon said> It seems the infrastructure is crumbling due to neglect and under-funding.Wish they had spent all the money on the old bridges instead of the WAR!!!! that had NO weapons ,,,

• snowbird
    snowbird

One year ago ...

Sylvia

• Gopher
    Gopher

Sylvia -- today in the Twin Cities we are remembering the victims, and those hundreds who were injured and still living with the ramifications, on this sad anniversary. The collapse happened at 6:05 pm Central Time on 8/1/2007.

Sadly, most of the initial enthusiasm to repair bridges across America has waned. It's important to not forget the shock we first felt when hearing about this. (I first heard about it through this very forum, while at the office.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit