Does your boss have a right to call you on vacation?

by TresHappy 31 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Several things to keep in mind - most states and places of employment are at will. Meaning that you can be terminated for any reason and not just for cause. Next you need to determine if you have a job description and if w/i that job description there is anywhere it sets forth that you are to be available at all times. If there is no such language, then the next step is to do exactly what you did ... you need to be polite, but clear in your advising that you are not available 24/7/365. That just the same as you attempt to respect others when they are away from work, you would seek the same courtesy. Unless it was a true emergency (but you may have to define emergency ... loss of life or limb) you are not to be contacted. If this does not change then you should seek clarification with your HR Department and level a complaint. Of course that opens up a whole nother can of worms.

I disagree w/ the mentality that because someone is the boss that you are required to say "how high" when they say jump. We will soon become a nation where it is honorable to die at your desk because we are failing to not only take a vacation but respect others who do.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Give me a break! It's a freaking phone call! Of all the things to get po'd about! Do you have the right to not take your phone on vacation?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I dont think they should be able to call you on vacation but if they can and they need to youve seen they will. I have 2 phones a land line and a cell phone. I dont give my employer my cell phone number.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

It depends on the job.

Yes he can call, if someone's life or limb was in danger, if millions of dollars are on the line, a deadline that only you possessed the info to help, etc. As a boss, I'd only call if these were the items, and I would be extremely apologetic.

I think he's not doing his job. First, he needs to have someone who knows (sits in) your desk. I like rotating secretaries a little. Keeps their life interesting, and helps me to have a backup.

As an employee, go on a cruise. They can't find you there.... If that doesn't work, answer drunk.

Skeeter

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I can call you anytime I want, beotch!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

It was simply paperwork; any person in my capacity at my organization could have done it.

He took the easy way out. He does not have a right to call me on my vacation, period.

He is obsessed with his work because he's so disorganized. I have offered to help him in his office and get him organized but to no avail.
    He has this mentality of don't throw anything away. Consequently his office looks like crap.

He's not a bad guy, pretty nice...just anal retentive and weird. He's 55 and never been married. He's married to the job.
    He has the leadership abilities of a caboose!

• mtsgrad
    mtsgrad

Show me the money.

I trainined an Executive Assistant/PA/Secretary who complained about her boss ringing her at 4am in the morning for a non urgent matter. At first I was surprised but though there must be two sides to the story. The next day she complained about her much the job was impacting on her and her 8 year old son. I asked her how much she earned.

$140,000.

I had no sympathy for her.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I didn't work 24 X 7 when I had my own business. I'll be damned if I do it for someone else's.

W

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Mrs. Stealth is my boss, so she can call me anytime she wants.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

It depends. If you have a well-paying job and the place is decent and the boss is not such an S.O.B. that he/she oversteps their boundaries every minute and makes your life a living hell, etc., you might allow them to contact you in an "emergency".

Where I work, people type a vacation memo and usually a number is there where they can be reached in an "Emergency". If a person is overseas, nobody is going to call them unless they have to.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit