Does your boss have a right to call you on vacation?

by TresHappy 31 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Two weeks ago, I went on a family vacation. There was a voice mail on my cell phone from my boss. I didn't respond to it. He called again. I still didn't respond. Yesterday at my yearly review I told my boss I didn't like him calling me on my family vacation. He said it was an emergency. I am not an "on call" "24/7" employee or a salary. I am an administrative asst. I asked if someone else could have done it. He said yes but that he didn't think about it. I said that a vacation is my time away from the office. He never takes vacations and is at work most weekends. He was very huffy throughout the review but managed somehow to give me satisfactory rating; although I deserved better.

I'll post snippets of what he said later. I need the "push" to look for another position.

• sandy
    sandy

You were right in standing up to your boss. Good for you! Your boss has no business calling you on your vacation to ask you about work.

What was the emergency?

• PEC
    PEC

I am on call 7/24 and I would not answer on vacation, if my boss call asking where something is or something I could answer over the phone, I would return his call, if he wanted me to cancel my vacation and come back to work, that isn't going to happen. A vacation is scheduled and approved. Time to find another job/boss, his expectations are not real.

Philip

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

In answer to your question, I would definitely say that your boss has the right to call you on vacation.

Additionally, I would say you have the right not to answer.

Rub a Dub

• ferret
    ferret

I too am on call 24/7 and take 2 vacations a year, my cell phone does not go with me. We take my wifes' as they do not know her #.

• serendipity
    serendipity

We have to leave a # in case of emergency, when we're on vacation.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Depending on your job, I'd say your boss has the right to call you when you're on vacation because, well, he's your boss!

It really depends on a lot of matters. When it's something stupid and that someone else can handle, that's one thing. If it's an emergency, that's quite another. Sounds like yours was definitely the first!

S4

• Sassy
    Sassy

well... I have always told my boss if he needed me for anything, he can call my house or my cell..

he has never done it..

however.. while I agree in theory you have a right to your own vacation and to be cut off from work.. you win no battles by refusing to take a call.. sometimes politically it is the right thing to do..

and maybe the difference between a rave review and an ok one..

I look at my boss.. and granted we are on two different job levels.. but he was willing to take calls all the way to Hawaii with his family and also said he might have to cut his trip short.. now I know his wife would not have been happy..

how could I refuse a phone call?

Now there have been some trips where I have been somewhere that I knew cell reception would be a problem, I have told him I'll be unreachable..

I guess the nice thing is I do have someone I've asked to back me up when I am gone. He knows that. I will tell him if he needs anything Mary has offered to help in my absense. Maybe if you took the proactive approach and spoke with someone about being a contact to cover you in an emergency need in your absense and then told him who offered to assist him if he required it, it might help..

that way it appears you are still taking care of him, although through the hands of someone else...

• DJK
    DJK

I start my vacation tomorrow and I'll be out until the 20th of August. I told my boss, DONT CALL ME!

DJK of the do not disturb type.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Boundries!! lol,

I would probably answer my phone, answer his question and make him feel like a helpless fckhole for calling me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit