Do you like where you live?

by R.F. 57 Replies latest jw friends

• PEC
    PEC

I miss the people in the midwest. They are more hospitable and giving.

It is not allowed in SoCal, people want to be more hospitable and giving; but, Jehobah aka Satan won't let them.

Philip

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

After growing up in the NorthEast (NY/CT area), I have been in South Florida for 10 years.

I would never want to live back there again.

Being close to the ocean here in Miami is like nothing else.

Rub a Dub

• Mum
    Mum

Hi, R.F. Are you looking for a place to move? It's a good thing to do when leaving the borg.

I live in northern Nevada, about 40 miles from northern California. I love it here. It is near Lake Tahoe, one of the most beautiful places ever. Most people here are from somewhere else (well, mostly from California), so I like the openness of people who don't have established cliques. We are getting more like other, more established places, and urban sprawl is ongoing because its a fast growing area. We have decent public transportation. Even so, it's very friendly for the most part. When people here complain about traffic, I laugh. Not only is traffic largely a non-problem, our airport is the easiest one to negotiate that I have ever seen. We are in the high desert, at a high altitude. We have all four seasons. We have lots of special events. For example, July is Artown (just finished); now we're going into Hot August Nights (a huge celebration of mid-20th century, with car shows, cruising, Elvis impersonators, with people walking about dressed in 1950's style clothing, oldies played at a local "prom," and so on; In September, we have balloon races and air races. There are lots of legal vices here, too, but only for those over 21. It is more expensive to live in the west.

Southern Nevada = Las Vegas area. I don't like it. It's too hot and requires entirely too much driving to get from place to place. There are too many tourists who rent cars and cause accidents. It is hard to find a good neighborhood.

Northern California is nice, too, but expensive. I had a friend who lived in Nevada City, CA, about an hour or so from here. It is a charming place. One of the posters on this board lives in that area, so maybe he/she can give you more info. Sacramento is too hot; so is Redding. San Francisco is beautiful but expensive. Napa and the wine country would be my choice if I could live anywhere in California - beautiful!

Other places I have lived: Louisville, KY and Jeffersonville, IN; Dayton, Ohio; southeastern Kentucky; and east Tennessee. East Tennessee was my favorite from the standpoint of natural beauty and nice people. Kentucky has too many taxes. Ohio was nice, but it is suffering economically right now as far as I know. Indiana is nice, but I didn't spend much time there.

Of all places I have been, I liked Florida the least.

Hope this gives you something to work with,

SandraC

• R.F.
    R.F.
    Hi, R.F. Are you looking for a place to move? It's a good thing to do when leaving the borg.

I most definitely do want to relocate. I'm hoping to within a few years, not right now though.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I LOVE where I live.

I was born in Toronto (Ontario, Canada) and lived there until I was 16 -- except for one year I was in Montreal

At 16 I moved back to Montreal. I love the city. There is always something happening somewhere (not so much fun for me cuz I don't go out partying). The politics suck especially if you don't speak French. I spent most of my life there -- 31 years -- wishing I could move away.

Then I went to Winnipeg. Winnipeg was too cold in the winter and mosquito infested the rest of the time. Stayed there for five years. I likeds the friendliness. It was new to me. Montreal treats everyone as if they are invisible. The fiorst time I was walking down a street a person said hello as we passed each other. I'm surprised I diodn't trip over my jaw.

Toronto is a megacity now. That just doesn't interest me. Winnipeg is a lot smaller - around 600,000 people.

Now I am in Ottawa. I love it. It is a bit larger than Winnipeg 700,000 people. As the capital of Canada it has retained the friendliness of a smaller town. People smile and say hello as they pass you. They don't ignore you or yell at you for not speaking French to them first before you address them in English. I love it here

And as the capital it tends to deal very well with services and there is always something going on - just not at 3 am. It's quiet and clean and I love it. The bike paths are the best I've seen and I use them as much as possible.

In my later years living in Montreal one thing I noticed was that I often lived in apartments where I was not closed in (looking at someone else's window. Most of the time I have looked out over a parl or a schoolyard or bushes thick enough that you couldn't see the other yeards around me.

What is odd about that is that it has always been accidental. I took the places because they were available. They just happened to have great views. I need a view otherwise I feel closed in. The place I saw before I took this one had this huge balcony but it was so big that it shut out any chance of seeing the sun at any time of the day. Just dark and it made the apartment dark.

I love a good view. and yes I love where I live

One other thing. Montreal is a very humid city. The cold in weinter just got inside your bones and it was next to impossible to get war,

Winnipeg on the other hand was cold and dry. That made it easier to dress for the vcold. It is the humidity that chills to the bone.

Now I am in the middle although closer toMontrealk than Winnipeg. It gets the same temps as both Winnipeg and Montreal but it seems to be dryer. - great for my arthritis. That only bothers me now when I visit Montreal

Here I am yattering away but YES I love where I live

• lrkr
    lrkr

You know what they say-

Live in New York at least once in your life- but leave before you get too hard

Live in southern California at least once in your life- but leave before you get too soft

I vote for Hawaii.

• aarque
    aarque

I love it here in the Adirondacks. The nearest McDonald's is a 45 mile ride; a trip to the mall means an all-day event since it's about 65 miles away. I love the remoteness, the quiet, the wildlife. Winters are not so bad, even though it gets down to -40F for a few weeks in January. It can snow for days at a time. The air is clean, life is laid back, and I wouldn't trade it for any where else. (ok...ok...so maybe I dream of Aruba when it gets -40F...) Summers are very short so we practically live outdoors during the season, but I feel lucky to live here all year round ( inside the Adirondack Park....6,000,000 acres and a year round population of about 130,000 - plenty of elbow-room)

• animal
    animal

I may have the best of both worlds.... Our house is in Mesa, AZ and I work/live in San DIego. I run back and forth lots, on weekends, and there is a world of difference between the two places. I am a short drive to the beach here in San Diego, but never go there. I am a short drive to Mexico but never go there. L.A. is about an hour or so away, but I avoid that place as much as possible.

Mesa, a suburb of Phoenix, is almost as busy as San Diego BUT they planned thier roads out to handle it. Traffic keeps moving, for the most part.

Housing in San Diego is 3X that in Mesa,.... at least.

I dont like California, but I like my job.... in 2 years, my daughter is out of school and the would is wide open to move anywhere. Having the motorhome that I live in makes it easy.

Animal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit