For any young lurkers, or anyone who feels or has felt trapped.

by Crumpet 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I was just reading some of my old diaries and wanted to share it particularly for anyone who feels despair, who is locked into the society through family and especially for any young lurkers still in. I wrote this shortly after I turned 15. Comments in brackets are my own to clarify.

Tuesday 1st May 1990

You know I frequently wish that there was some arrangement whereby you could go to sleep and never have to go through the trouble of waking up. I don’t believe one can ever actually be truly happy. In the truth it’s all superficial – you’re told you have to be happy, so you do go round like the world’s biggest hypocrite with a plastic smile on your face.

People always ask, “What’s the matter Nina?” What am I supposed to say – I don’t know what is the matter. Do I say “Oh I was just contemplating the most effective, painless suicide methods!” They don’t understand – no one does.

Why is everything a big thing? A letter means I can’t pioneer! (I had written a letter to a pioneer brother called Martin inviting him to my local assembly and was put on private reproof for this.) It’s all stupid, foolish.

I wish I was controlled by a computer, then all I’d have to do would be press a button and reverse my life back to nothingness and never have to go through the rigour of existing.

I wish people would hate me, then I could at least enjoy hating them back.

Everything is wrong.

I can’t correspond or communicate with Martin ever again. Mum and Dad make me claustrophobic with their over-protectiveness, dutifulness, formalities and suspicious minds.

I’m supposed to feel elated, spiritually upbuilt because the PO has gone and arranged for me to work on the service with the CO’s wife. Well I’ll make sure he never makes that mistake again. I think I’ll assume the “its no good, the area between my ears is vacant” attitude.

I wish I could just skip a few years of my life so I could do what I want for a change without having to answer for blowing my nose without permission. I’m so dumb I just don’t have the guts to do anything about it.

Why is life such an effort? Why can’t I cry? Why is life just a conglomeration of emotional highs and lows? I don’t even want to do the pioneer hours now, I feel so discouraged. Why can’t I achieve the eternal bliss of being encased with wood six feet deep?”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know there must be young ones out there who right now feel like I did that there was never going to be an end to the ridiculous restrictions on your human rights and that life carried no joy. About a year after this I did try to take my life but was rushed to hospital in time and saved.

My point is that it’s normal to feel like this even if you don’t understand why. Yeah its part hormones but it’s a big part not being able to live your life normally and being so encased by the strictures of the organization it squeezes out all your natural joy.

BUT life does not have to be like this. I never experienced true happiness until I left. That’s not to say life is a box of chocolates forever more once you leave, but you will experience eventually true and beautiful and unconditional friendships and relationships. No matter how hard life gets in the aftermath of leaving I never want to die. At least each day is within my power in a way it never was as a believing and then a non practicing but believing JW.

Fight for your freedom and don’t settle for second best. And personally I think that all of us who have suffered one way or another from the Big Brother domain of suspicion and dobbing in of the Watchtower regime and found whatever means that we have to escape are special and more compassionate for others. So your time there wasn’t wasted. It taught you a valuable lesson of hardship and a special appreciation for freedom that many people take for granted.

When something in your gut says that the way you or someone else is being treated is wrong, listen to it and stand up for yourselves and for your fellow human beings. Another valuable thing you learnt was to stand up for your religion despite ridicule. Take this lesson and use it to never turn away when you see an injustice being enacted to someone else whether it’s at school, at work, in the congregation or in the street.

• changeling
    changeling

Dear Crumpet: had I kept a diary growing up as a witness, I would have had many passages such as the one you just shared. I'm much older, and hopefully wiser now, but I remember the pain well. Thank you for sharing this, I hope it does help someone.

changeling

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Crumples,

If only I'd known 30-odd years ago, as a teenager, that I wasn't alone in feeling the same way as you did, then there's a lot about my life that might have been so different.

I'll second what you say to the teenagers locked in to the JW's now; there's a huge network of support available to you these days, and there's no need to accept the isolation and hopelessness that you may be feeling. Sure, it won't be easy to break away from something you've known since birth, and you'll be under a lot of pressure to conform, but there is a life outside of the JW's that is open to you if you have the courage to make that first step. It's up to you though.

tim

• flipper
    flipper

Crumpet, that is an excellent post. mrs flipper

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Crumples,

If only I'd known 30-odd years ago, as a teenager, that I wasn't alone in feeling the same way as you did, then there's a lot about my life that might have been so different.

Thanks Timbo. I wish I had too. I really thought I was alone and there simply wasn't anyone I could confide in except for my diary. There were a couple of PMs/emails in relation to this and I wanted to say thank you for sharing such personal circumstances with me. One day maybe you will feel comfortable adding yours to the forum too.

I'm so glad that at least now, even though life can be very hard, I know that I can change things - that my future isnt a definite crow-meat scenario and that there could be many years to me yet. I still get sad sometimes. Like the other day I had to fill out a form for my counselling and it asked who my next of kin was and I didnt have anybody now that I am single. But hey I have to create my own family network, again, from scratch...I think I might go about it differently this time round. Friends first. Love interests second.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    About a year after this I did try to take my life but was rushed to hospital in time and saved.

what beats me is that your family cut you off despite knowing this.

you would think that they would check up from time to time just from a humane point of view - or at least respond to your attempts to contact them

• brinjen
    brinjen

Excellent thread Crumpet!

Most of us who grew up in a cult can remember all too well the feeling of being trapped. As if being a teenager isn't enough to deal with. I also remember the feeling I was the only one who felt this way. Wishing your life had been different, of not wanting any part of the 'religion' being forced of you but at the same time terrified of leaving as this would result in being killed at armageddon. That's a lot to deal with. It's a wonder we are all still sane!

I was around 10 when I first began thinking of suicide. I figured I'd be helping Jehovah out as he was going to destroy me anyway. Glad I didn't go through with it...

Any lurkers out there who are or have gone through this, you are not alone. What you are feeling (or have felt) is normal, don't let anyone tell you the problem lies with yourself, it doesn't. I'll third this, there is a lot of support out there for you, all you have to do is register and ask. It's not easy, but it will be well worth it. It will get better...

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    was around 10 when I first began thinking of suicide. I figured I'd be helping Jehovah out as he was going to destroy me anyway. Glad I didn't go through with it...

Oh Brinjen - am so glad you didn't do. You are a funny, warm and clever girl.

Tij - in the interests of fairness - my family did let me move back in some time after this, but I had to be half way to reinstatement first. They did recognise their legal obligation under UK law towards me as a minor since I was only 16 at the time and did check on me from time to time and send food parcels. Of course that all stopped when I got disfellowshipped again at 18 because of course I was a fully fledged adult at that point and there was no 'law of Caesar' to bind them to me anymore.

• KW13
    KW13

What you've written really hits the spot, i wrote something similar myself (not in diary form unfortunately, that would of been useful) and a lot of the thoughts are there.

Thanks for sharing, you've no idea how that helped. A confirmation i wasn't insane. What i wrote is still at my old School sat in the room of a teacher as far as i am aware, in some files.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Wow Crumpet, powerful stuff, did your parents ever get to read it, or find out how you really felt?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit