For the old timers

by ShirleyW 27 Replies latest jw friends

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Way, way back in 1962, when I was four years old and my family relocated from Harlem to Queens, NY, our Tuesday night book study, as it used to be called way back when almost universally in JW Land, was conducted by a woman !! Please don't think I don't remember correctly because of my young age at the time, but the Sis. who conducted it is still alive, and I practically know her whole family. Anybody else remember their "Tuesday night book study" being conducted by a woman? I know that all Congs. are not on the "same page" so, I don't know if it was just an NYC thing are what.

Another issue I was told that proves that all JW's aren't all on the same page, (as if you didn't know) is that I attended a wedding almost 20 years ago and the sis. was from Maryland and she told me that they didn't believe in SPINNING RECORDS AT WEDDING RECEPTIONS !! Will somebody please tell me what scripture supports that? It's sad what the JW's believe in, when all they're doing is serving a bunch old men in Brooklyn !! Anyone from the Maryland area ever heard of that? But I'm sure now, since it's been almost 20 years ago, some "new light" has been received and Jah said it's alright to download music from your Ipods for entertaintment !!

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Yes, I can remember sisters taking the book study when brothers were not available. Didn't happen all that often though..

Also when they prayed they had to put a handkerchief on their head! Looked so funny!

JW's are so superstitious! I think they are the most superstitious religion.

Pope

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I was raised a witnoid from 52, by the time I left in 83, I had concluded that the witnoids didnt believe in anything fun, except alcohol. Most of the witnoids I knew, might be described as alcoholics by earth people.

• animal
    animal

I remember my mother putting a paper napkin on her head to run a tueday nite book study. No other men were baptized, if I remember right.

Animal

• Sassy
    Sassy

lol..I remember my mom doing that too when no brothers were around..

• restrangled
    restrangled

I remember plenty of women putting a covering on their heads. Most women in the 60's had curlers all day and usually had what was called a babushka covering that. This was before curling irons, blow driers, ...etc.

But what they should of had covering their heads was a Kotex pad because that would have described and still does the WBTS 's attitude about women.

r.

• restrangled
    restrangled

I am adding one more comment.

Women were nasty,......

bleeding

, idiots who needed to iron their husbands shirts for the meetings.....bottom line, and I don't believe that has changed for one minute at Bethel in the year 2007!

r.

• journey-on
    journey-on

LOL at Restrangled

Are you obsessed with laundry issues this week?

I have 2 guys in the house.....they have their work out clothing, around the house clothing, work clothes, school clothes, and just hanging out clothes!....I cannot keep up. The washer has been running for 6 hours and I'm not even close to getting to the end of their dirties!!!
    , idiots who needed to iron their husbands shirts for the meetings.....bottom line, and I don't believe that has changed for one minute
  • Sassy
    Sassy

man oh man.. I remember ironing shirts for my first husband for meetings.. AND my boys...

but dang it.. I also ironed work shirts for my (now recent ex) bf..

I'm still ironing!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Interesting comments about our dear sisters and their submission to their ever diligent husbands as they "bow down and kiss the ass of twelve of men in Brooklyn" but regarding original post, anybody remember Sisters conducting Tuesday night meeting many, many moons ago???

Lord knows I can't be the oldest person here, I don't hit the half a century mark until December !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit