Birthdays—Simple Deconstruction of the JW Rationale

by AuldSoul 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

AS -

Welcome back.

Good line of reasoning. Just from a purely scriptural standpoint, I could never find justification for the banning of birthdays. Of course, once one deconstructs the recognition of birthdays - then the next mindset coming from the Jw's will be the pagan nature of the customs associated with the celebration. Candles, cake, wishes, etc. This becomes enough to convince them to reject the celebration. They just label it Pagan, and that becomes enough for them. If not the recognition of the day, the origin of the style of celebration becomes the issue with them.

One could ask them if all things that 'pagans' did were evil, or should be avoided? Then bring to fore all the common practices that we have today that had origin with groups that were not God's biblically favored people [their idea of who constitutes Pagans]. Ask them who are 'pagans', or who were 'pagans'? They likely don't have any idea - though they accept the generally intolerant view of some earlier Christian groups that it includes all outsiders. Once they commit that that is their basic view, then one can ask specific questions as to the timing and origin of the term, and if all agree to it's meaning? Basically there are three accepted meanings of the Latin word 'paganus'. Those interpretations are diverse and meanings vary according to whom one is speaking;

• The slow thinking rural people who had not adopted the 'modern' Christian view that thrived in metropolitan areas, long before it's acceptance in the more isolated regions where the peasants held to the Greek or Roman state religion, or mystic religions.
    • That 'pagani' were simply non-Christian civilians, whereas the 'miles Christi' were soldiers of Christ.
    • Pagans were just outsiders.

While these definitions are obsured today, with no single accepted definition for all hearing and speaking the word 'pagan', none of them are particularly offensive except the first - the allusion to one being a 'hick' or 'backward'. Yet none of them convey derision for religious practices per se. Like other subjects, if one begins to discuss this intelligently, Jw's are left outside the discussion. They have used 'pagan' not as a definition of anything, but as a label, like 'demons', 'Satan', 'apostate', that bring up images of dreaded attachment to the ungodly dark side.

If one can get them to muse on the subject of 'pagan', one might get them to begin to realise that the concept is just a catch term intended to be pejorative and dispreciatory, but without definition.

Sorry to have strayed.

Jeff

• Mary
    Mary
    Only two birthdays are ever mentioned in the Bible. Probably not true, because it seems Job's sons each celebrated "his day" (<--- which raises the question of which day would be specific to each individual son, if not birthday).

Actually, it's probably not. I emailed an Orthodox Rabbi that I know and asked him about whether this scripture was referring to "birthdays" and his response in a nutshell, was 'No'. However, what I found even more interesting in his response and the links he provided me, is that Jews do not take the story of Job as a literal event. Here is his response:

The following source may best briefly explain the longstanding and generally agreed upon Jewish translation and interpretation of Job 1:4, as reflected in Targum Job 1:4. From The Core Story in the Prologue-Epilogue of the Book of Job by Aron Pinkler ( http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:e2JCcStNWdoJ:www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/Articles/article_51.htm+targum+job+1:4&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=24&gl=ca ): "The setting of continual (or repeated) feasts of wine in which young females participate is highly unusual and unrealistic. A ???? was normally made to celebrate a special event. However, verse 1:4 describes it as a daily routine (so LXX, Rashi, Ibn Ezra, Ralbag, and many commentators)." [Earlier in the same article, Pinkler noted: "The author artificially inserted verses 1:4–5 to show Job's piety and to create a situation in which, for dramatic effect, all the children could perish at once."] It is perhaps helpful to add that the LXX (Septuagint Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible from around 200 BCE), Rashi (acronym for Rabbi Shlomo Yitzhak [Solomon Isaac], the most famous interpreter of Jewish Scripture), Ibn Ezra (another medieval Jewish scholar whose commentaries on the Hebrew Bible are unsurpassed), Ralbag (Rabbi Levi ben Gershon, also known as Gersonides or the Ralbag, wrote commentaries on the Hebrew Bible and on Aristotle's works in line with Maimonides' propensity to integrate Aristotelian rationalism into Jewish Tradition, thus establishing a central place for his works in the view of modern Jewish Orthodoxy), and many other commentators (indicating that this interpretation/translation is not suspicious or private). This is supported by various independant translations from the Hebrew such as "Now his sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each one in turn, and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and to drink with them" (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:OjhEom1xz3UJ:sabdaweb.sabda.org/bible/chapter/%3Fb%3D18%26version%3Dnet2+targum+job+1:4&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=26&gl=ca). What this all means is that the translation is anachronistically imposing the idea of birthdate on the Hebrew words that at that time would never consider such a claim. As you will notice in a casual reading of your own copy of the Tanakh: The Holy Scriptures (The Jewish Bible), no indication is made to allude to a day of birth.
  • Mary
    Mary
    I think forbiding the celebration of bithdays is no small thing. To not acknowledge our birth, in a way strips us of our humanity, of our relevance. To tell a parent not to remember the day they brought a dear child into the world, is monstrous. To tell your child that the day they were born is of no importance is abusive.

I agree. Even as a child, I used to ask my mother why we could celebrate their anniversary, but not our birthday. It bothered me alot, and in hindsight, I think that subconsiously it's because it made me feel exactly as you described above: of no importance.

The fact that 'only two birthdays' are mentioned in the bible and something bad happened at them, is a ridiculous reason to forbid them centuries later. In fact, at Jesus' birth, the angels of heaven "rejoiced" and sang songs and declared to the shepherds that 'the King of the Jews' had been born that day. Gosh, it almost sounds like the angels were (gasp!) celebrating Jesus' birth! Not only that, but while they're always so quick to say how the baker was put to death on Pharoah's birthday, they always neglect to mention how something good happened on the same day: Genesis 40: 21 says: "...He then restored the chief cup-bearer to his former position..."

The reason birthdays became such a taboo, is because Rutherfraud was simply a mean-spirited bastard. Charles Russell may have had bizarre ideas about the scriptures, but he does not appear to have been mean-spirited. He openly acknowledged that he knew Jesus wasn't born on December 25th, yet he saw no reason why the Bible Students couldn't simply share in a common celebration. Ditto for birthdays. Rutherford did not have an easy going disposition and was one of those types that looked for ways to make people miserable. It's possible he had something like Borderline Personality Disorder, or was Paranoid Schizophrenic as he seemed to have had some of the symptoms:

Schizophrenia (SKITS-oh-FREEN-ee-uh)---one of the most damaging of all mental disorders---causes its victims to lose touch with reality. They often begin to hear, see, or feel things that aren't really there (hallucinations) or become convinced of things that simply aren't true (delusions). In the paranoid form of this disorder, they develop delusions of persecution or personal grandeur. The first signs of paranoid schizophrenia usually surface between the ages of 15 and 34. There is no cure, but the disorder can be controlled with medications. Severe attacks may require hospitalization.

Among the signs are:
    • Confusion
    • Inability to make decisions
    • Hallucinations
    • Changes in eating or sleeping habits, energy level, or weight
    • Delusions
    • Nervousness
    • Strange statements or behavior
    • Withdrawal from friends, work, or school
    • Neglect of personal hygiene
    • Anger
    • Indifference to the opinions of others
    • A tendency to argue
    • A conviction that you are better than others, or that people are out to get you

While many of Rutherford's other crazy theories have long been dropped, for some reason, the whole "birthday" scenario seems to have slipped through the cracks of reason and is still well and alive in Dubdumb Land today. Another reason is that paranoia and an insane desire to be seen as "different" was something that later Presidents such as Knorr, Franz, Henchel and now Jaracz learned from their predecessor while they were relatively young and carried on over the years. Since virtually everyone else in the world sees nothing wrong with celebrating a birthday, Jehovah's Witnesses MUST be seen as "different"; in their minds, being seen as "different" equates to "having God's approval" which of course is their goal in life.

If you ask any Witness why it's okay to celebrate a wedding anniversary, or have a baby shower, but not an actual birthday, they will look uncomfortable because a seed of reason has infiltrated the brain-washing that runs their lives. There is absolutely no scriptural reason for forbidding members to celebrate a birthday-----that falls under "going beyond what is written" and puts the Governing Body in the same category as the Pharisees.

• Terry
    Terry

It isn't the "thing" per se which gets you disfellowshipped. No.

It is how you react when confronted with the "thing".

If the "thing" is birthday celebration or anything else is beside the point.

Confidence without haughtiness is a tough posture, but; I'm told it works.

Smiling and speaking with a confidential, parental tone works too.

"That's just unscriptural, Brother Elder. It is an opinion which I respect, but; my conscience isn't offended."

You have to handle things without a "rebellious attitute."

"Oh, I certainly know what you are saying, Brother Elder. Judge Rutherford came up with that one, didn't he? Yeah. I'm sure he meant well."

"Ahh, wouldn't Jesus or Paul have emphasized birthdays as wrong if it were at all important?"

"Our conscience is important. Jehovah speaks to us through our conscience. It won't offend me if you don't agree. Please don't seek to be offended at me either."

My (former) best friend, Johnny, who has been a JW (in good standing) for 40 years uses this approach time and again.

He puts THEM on the spot with great confidence and maintains a humble attitude at the same time.

He finds the balance of putting the elder on the spot and holding his ground without being disagreeable.

"Show me a scripture that says what you are saying and I won't hesitate to agree with you. But, you won't be able to because it is just an opinion."

"The Governing Body isn't a Pope, is it? Are they infallible? No. None of us could ever say that, could we? I respect their opinions and I obey specific scriptures. But, I don't confuse a direct command in scripture with a man's opinion. My own opinion is connected to MY conscience. After all, Brother Elder, what is my conscience for if I don't listen to it?:"

"I know you mean well. I respect you for that. It would be silly for me to argue with you. But, I know you'll respect my Christian Freedom of conscience.

Peter and Jesus had disagreements many times and Peter wasn't disfellowshipped for his opinion even when he was wrong.

• Mary
    Mary
    Ahh, wouldn't Jesus or Paul have emphasized birthdays as wrong if it were at all important?"

This is a very good argument, because unlike blood transfusions, birthdays were well known in the first century CE and if they were as wrong and pagan and offended to God as the GB makes out, there would have been a clear statement somewhere in the scriptures that either the Israelites/Christians were not to celebrate birthdays. Since there isn't one, it's logical to conclude that it doesn't offend God.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Terry,

My father is PO in a congregation located in Albany, Georgia, USA. I don't know how things work in other parts of the JW world, but in my dad's congregation anyone who unrepentantly celebrates a birthday is disfellowshipped. In my dad's dictionary, the definition of "repentance" does not include a confident attitude.

Anything short of abject apology with evidence of a contrite heart is unrepentant in his dictionary.

His dictionary is called "Pay Attention to Yourselves and to All the Flock" ... I thought all elders used it, but perhaps I was mistaken.

—AuldSoul

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Sup Auld?

I was just in your neck of the woods today.

All is well.

I know I'm early, but, Happy Birthday buddy!

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

nvr,

I expect to get perfectly SMASHED on or near my brithday. As my wife keeps reminding me, it will mark my half-way point between 30 and 40 ... she's a great one for those kinds of reminders. I hope you and A. are doing well.

Fear not, my friend. I do not expect you to foot the bill for getting an Irishman sloshed. That sort of tab would be costly for anyone's bank account. I pay for my own, thanks just the same.

However, we have yet to convince Drew Sagan and wife to make the trip out for the occasion. I think we can convince Prophecor fairly easily. I will try to get back in touch with Gerard and his wife and see if they are up for making a night of it. I might be able to talk IronClaw into driving down. Maybe I can get my brother and some friends from back home on board for that event.

I will have to get this idea more thoroughly crafted, then let everyone who might be able to join know when and where.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Has anyone ever heard of someone being disfellowshipped for celerating a birthday though? I have never heard of it. I thought it was a non-disfellowshipping issue. I am sure I read that somewhere that the elders have guidelines that people are not to be disfellowshipped for birthdays.

If that is so then it is one of those weird things that lie somewhere in the hazy ground between disfellowshipping offences and "conscience issues", though I am sure there would be a lot of informal "marking" and shunning going on for someone openly birthdaying.

Slim

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I remember from my Witness apologist days there is a good debating point in a quote from Origen who was dead set again "pagan" birthdays and stated they are not for Christians!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit