Birthdays—Simple Deconstruction of the JW Rationale

by AuldSoul 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

To deconstruct the JW rationale surrounding birthdays, a few simple guidelines should be followed.

(1): Don't waste any energy trying to convince a JW that birthdays are not pagan, if they suggest that, readily agree. Whether or not the celebrations are pagan turns out to be a non-issue that distracts from the main point.

(2): Stay focused on the fact that JWs disfellowship people for celebrating birthdays.

(3): Stress the point that there should always be clear Scriptural reason for disfellowshipping someone. Ask them often throughout the discussion whether this is the case, get them to reinforce this need to themselves.

(4): Remember, the first goal is deconstructing their rationale, not giving them a new rationale, not convincing them that celebrating birthdays is a good thing.

Once you have these well in mind, the deconstruction can begin.

JW Rationale, in brief:

• Birthdays are pagan. Concede the point; it becomes irrelevant later.
    • Only two birthdays are ever mentioned in the Bible. Probably not true, because it seems Job's sons each celebrated "his day" (<--- which raises the question of which day would be specific to each individual son, if not birthday). Either way, concede the point, it quickly becomes irrelevant.
    • On both birthdays, someone died. They believe this is a negative thing and, therefore, God must not approve of birthdays.

The third bullet is the ENTIRE Scriptural "basis" for disfellowshipping people who celebrate birthdays.

Begin by deconstructing this "basis." It is easy. The cupbearer and the baker of Pharoah each dreamed a dream. Joseph interpreted the dreams by the power of God. He told the cupbearer he would be restored to his former position. He told the baker he would die. We don't know why either were imprisoned to begin with.

On Pharoah's birthday, the baker died while the cupbearer was restored to his former position, thus proving to the cupbearer that Joseph had the God-given ability to interpret dreams. Later, when Pharoah had a dream he couldn't understand the cupbearer remebered Joseph. He wouldn't have mentioned Joseph if either of Joseph's interpretations did not come true.

Because of the baker dying, according to the interpretation given by God, Joseph was able to spare Abraham's family line from extinction by preserving them from the seven years of famine.

Is fulfillment of prophecy a negative thing, or a positive thing? God fulfilled Joseph's prophetic dream interpretation on Pharoah's birthday. Jehovah's Witnesses have the audacity to call this fulfillment a bad thing.

Once you have used this point, THEN ask them whether Romans was written only to former Jews or whether it was also written to former pagan Gentiles. Turn to Romans 14:1-18 in the NWT and ask them to read it. Encourage them to explain how they Scripturally justify disfellowshipping people over the observance of birthdays when Paul specifically said not to judge anyone over the observance of days.

They have no answer. There is no defense for disfellowshipping "unrepentant" birthday celebrants, birthday celebrants haven't Scripturally done anything to repent of.

I hope this helps someone who can still talk with their family members.

—AuldSoul

• greendawn
    greendawn

My approach is that this anti birthday idea came from Rutherford someone known to have written a large amount of absurd nonsense eg the science of medicine is pagan because it originated in ancient Egypt and the dubs were advised against seeing doctors. Who can believe anything said by someone who had so many weird ideas?

• changeling
    changeling

Good one Auldsoul. Personally, I think JW's forbid bithdays as part of their campaign against individuality. They are like communists "it's all about the state, not the individual".

I think forbiding the celebration of bithdays is no small thing. To not acknowledge our birth, in a way strips us of our humanity, of our relevance. To tell a parent not to remember the day they brought a dear child into the world, is monstrous. To tell your child that the day they were born is of no importance is abusive.

That's what I think about that...

changeling

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

In addition, forbidding birthdays cuts you off from one of the traditional times to get together with family. Combine this with forbidding holidays, and you find that you spend less and less time with your "worldly" relatives. They, of course, think it's crap and tell you so -- and in so doing drive a wedge between you and your non-JW family even more.

I don't know if this is by design, or just a happy coincidence for the Watchtower. But it certainly plays in their favor.

For more on their birthday doctrine and why it's bunk: http://www.thebentinel.com/jw-birthdays.html

AuldSoul, good work on this. One question -- can you provide any references for the idea that they disfellowship over celebrating birthdays? I'm sure they can manage to bootstrap you up to apostasy on it if they want to, but have they ever put anything in print about it?

Dave

• choosing life
    choosing life

Hey Auld Soul,

They were just asking where you had been. You make a good point. I remember they use certain passages in the Bible to point to Dfd offensives. Birthdays certainly don't fit into any of them. Sounds like good reasoning,but I think their minds are closed, unfortunately.

• steve2
    steve2

The very best argument against banning birthday celebrations is the Watchtower's sanctioning the celebration of wedding anniversaries. These anniversaries are simply birthdays of marriages!!

The bulk of the arguments against celebrating birthdays can be used against celebrating wedding anniversaires - yet, JWs are permitted to celebrate these. Shocking double standard.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I'd also mention wedding rings and baptism, how those have pagan origins, too.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I agree with Changeling. It's all about taking away individuality. They believe that all honor should go to Jehovah, because he's the one that makes life possible.

• steve2
    steve2
    They believe that all honor should go to Jehovah, because he's the one that makes life possible.

This being the case, to be consistent, the watchtower needs to treat wedding anniversaries exactly the same way it treats birthdays...But of course, we know it won't do that!

• journey-on
    journey-on

My question Auld Soul, is how do you get a JW to discuss it! The minute they think you're doing the apostate talk, they shut down....adios...hasta luego...you're outta here! They stick their fingers in their ears and yell, "I can't hear you...lalalalalala." I have yet to get one to listen to that kind of reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit