THIS IS MY STORY (And I'm Sticking To It)

by snowbird 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Hi Snowbird

I loved your style of story telling, wish you had made the story a bit longer! Thanks for sharing.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Thank you for your well written story, snowbird. I am wondering-did you get to go to college? Or did you follow the JW pattern of no education? If you did not, you should. Your style of writing is easy to read and interesting.

• unique1
    unique1

WOW, I hope your daughter sees the light soon. I am sure college will help put things in perspective.

• snowbird
    snowbird

To greendawn, dawg, esw1966, NotaNess, Otwo, skeptic1914, willyloman, Madame Q, emptywords, sweet pea, jgnat, oppgirl63, Ak - Jeff, Gopher, Mrs. Smith, Quandry, and unique1

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my story. To answer a few of your questions: I enrolled in college but dropped out due to family and congregation pressures. I could have made the story much longer, but didn't want to tire anyone out. I do have plans to write a book. I hope it will be an interesting read.

Thanks again.

Snowbird

• pmouse
    pmouse

Thanks Snowbird. Your story encouraged me to tell my own. Aren't you glad you broke free?

• humbled
    humbled

May 11, 2018

Dear Snowbird,

We are back to the future! Thanks for letting me find this time capsule. You wrote it before l had walked out of the JWs.

Thanks for writing this. Lots of questions, comments.

Did your daughter stay JW after college?

I read about tenant farming. One book about a black tenant farmer Nate Shaw. Get ahead in that world? Never meant to be. If you started to prosper..watch out.

About that many children – – you were number 12! O your mama!

I was fixing breakfast with a new sister-in-law . ..comparing family experiences.She was one of 13 . I was one of nine. I remarked “We always would ask my mom ‘how many do l get? ‘ when she made anything: sausage, or eggs...”

Sil- “yeah? We would ask “ Do l get any?”

ha!

And....did you ever write your story ? Has your perception of God/ spiritual things changed since this long time past?

• Tara N Seals
    Tara N Seals

Dearest Maeve,

My little last daughter is still a JW, even after graduating summa-cum-laude from University.

Oh, yeah, tenant farming broke my daddy and lots of other men in our community which is catty-cornered across the Alabama River from Gee's Bend.

Yet, like Nate Shaw, some stood strong and unbowed. The Elaine, Arkansas Massacre of, I believe 1919, is a powerful testament to their courage and fortitude.

LOL about the number of children! I knew of a family of 24! Mama, Daddy, and 22 younguns.

We were stacked upon each other like cords of firewood, but learned a lot about the importance of cleanliness, loving, sharing, and just making a way out of nothing. This has stood us in good stead.

I have always been spiritual, and the Bible was one of the first books I read. I am now researching extra-Biblical literature to find answers to questions that have long intrigued me:-- How old was Eve at her death? Why so long before Seth's birth? Why was Elam listed first instead of Arpachschad? How did Abraham acquire such great faith? Were Noah and Abraham contemporaries?

I could go on, but you get it, I know.

Thanks for your interest.

You, too, are a person I hold dear to my heart.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit