Recurrent nightmare, what does it mean?

by jillbedford 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• Scully
    Scully

Sometimes seeing a spouse in your dream isn't about them per se, it is about the marriage itself.

Is there an ongoing issue in your relationship right now that is frightening you about the "life" of your marriage? Some kind of stress that you and your husband are trying to cope with, but that's causing tension and perhaps anger to flare up between you?

It could be anything - but it sounds like you are feeling guilty about something on your end having put a strain on things in your marriage. If you know what that is, you can address that part and try to seek a solution that puts less strain on the relationship.

Don't take what I say as gospel though - if I'm way off base, I apologize in advance.... that's just the impression I'm getting from the images you've described.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Did you "see" the intruder in the dream? Or, did you just "know" there was an intruder? If you saw him, describe him. Was he just a dark shadow with no visible features? Did he have a weapon? What was he wearing and what was the color? The devil is in the details, dear. Some of us may be able to help you sort this out.

• unique1
    unique1
    I got this from an online dream dictionary.
    Murder

If you have a dream of murdering another, this is a warning that you must keep in control of your temper and emotions at all times and not get enraged to the point of murderous intent. If you are the eye witness to a murder this is also a warning, but, one that is alerting you to possible changes in your life that you will not like unless you practice self control and not expect others to order the situation for you.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I would suggest trying to remember the dream state prior to when it goes bad. Try to focus on something specific. Is there an item in the room that you remember? A piece of furniture?

If you can remember that item and focus on it, when the nightmare reoccurs again, sometimes you mind will see the item and trigger your consciousness that it's only a dream. At that point you can either wake up, or continue dreaming in a lucid state where you can affect the outcome to something else.

Not everyone is able to do this, but usually after you change the outcome of a reoccurring dream, it will stop.

Based off your subjects I don't think it has anything to do with your husband directly. To me I would guess you are under alot of stress and feeling helpless. If you rely on your husband for supporting the family, the stress may be financial.

Just my interpretation off of your brief description.

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67
    I am having a recurrent and very upsetting nightmare that my husband is murdered. In one dream, I call the police and am arrested immediately myself. In another dream, there is blood everywhere. In all dreams, an intruder attacks and kills my husband. I wake up so upset I can not get back to sleep for a couple of hours.

Recurring dreams are quite common and are often triggered by a certain life situation or a problem that keeps coming back again and again. These dreams may recur daily, once a week, or once a month, but whatever the frequency, there is little variation in the dream content itself. It usually points to a personal weakness, fear, or your inability to cope with something in your life - past or present.

The repetitive patterns in your dream can reveal some of the most valuable information on yourself. It may point to a conflict, situation or matter in your waking life that remains unresolved or unsettled. Or some urgent underlying message in your unconscious is demanding to be understood.

Blood

To see blood in your dream, represents life, love, and passion as well as disappointments. If you see the word "blood" written in your dream, then it may refer to some situation in your life that is permanent and cannot be changed.

Murder

To dream that you witness a murder, indicates deep-seated anger towards somebody. Consider how the victim represents aspects of yourself that you want to destroy or eliminate.

This info was taken from dreammoods.com. I like it because it comes very close to what my dreams might mean to me. About 3 months ago I had a dream I thought didn't make any sense, but I looked it over and it was very accurate, in fact, it prevented me from making a decision that could've started a lot of problems. I don't look over every single dream I have, but that one called my attention. Since yours is a recurring one, I hope this information can help you. Let us know.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I am having a recurrent and very upsetting nightmare that my husband is murdered. In one dream, I call the police and am arrested immediately myself. In another dream, there is blood everywhere. In all dreams, an intruder attacks and kills my husband. I wake up so upset I can not get back to sleep for a couple of hours.

What do you think this means?

Here's my layman's interpretation. I suspect you feel insecure with something regarding your husband, possibly about losing him in death or just losing him from your relationship. The murder is a sign of a feeling of helplessness and great anguish. Bottom line is you seem afraid of losing him.

In the dream I feel like it is my fault, like I asked him to check on a noise or left the door unlocked.

This makes me think you feel insecure about your relationship. Perhaps you feel he's becoming more distant from you, and you think it's somehow something you've done or feel guilty about?

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

Is your rewind button stuck? Seriously, I have had recurring dreams that I am being chased by people who want to harm me. I once thrashed myself out of bed during one of my nightmares. These went on for many years, until they just stopped a few years ago. My wife is glad I don't kick her in my sleep any longer. I wish I knew what is was all about, too.

"I'm Being Chased"

Chase dreams often stem from feelings of anxiety in your walking life. The way we respond to anxiety and pressure in real life is typically manifested as a chase dream. Running is an instinctive response to physical threats in our environment. Often in these dream scenarios, you are being pursued by some attacker, who wants to hurt or possibly kill you. You are running away, hiding, or trying to outwit your pursuer. Chase dreams may represent your way of coping with fears, stress or various situations in your waking life. Instead of confronting the situation, you are running away and avoiding it.?Ask yourself who is the one chasing you and you may gain some understanding and insight on the source of your fears and pressure.

The pursuer or attacker who is chasing you in your dream may also represent a part of yourself. Your own feelings of anger, jealousy, fear, and possibly love, can assume the appearance of threatening figure. You may be projecting these feelings onto the unknown chaser. Next time you have a chase dream, turn around and confront your pursuer. Ask them why they are chasing you.?

One may be consumed by their own anger, jealousy, love, or self-destructive behavior. For example, you may be drinking too much or exhibiting open hostility toward others around you. You may subconsciously be threatened by these actions which have been jeopardizing your relationships and/or career. Your dreams are a way of calling attention to these self-destructive actions.

A more direct analysis of chase dreams is the fear of being attacked. Such dreams are more common among women than men, who may feel physically vulnerable in the urban environment. These dreams are inspired by fears of violence and sexual assault in which we are so over-exposed from the media. The violence that the media portrays magnifies our fears and how at risk we all are.?

Taken from dreammoods.com

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Recurring dreams are quite common and are often triggered by a certain life situation or a problem that keeps coming back again and again. These dreams may recur daily, once a week, or once a month, but whatever the frequency, there is little variation in the dream content itself. It usually points to a personal weakness, fear, or your inability to cope with something in your life - past or present.

The repetitive patterns in your dream can reveal some of the most valuable information on yourself. It may point to a conflict, situation or matter in your waking life that remains unresolved or unsettled. Or some urgent underlying message in your unconscious is demanding to be understood.

I don't have any advice to offer on this...but I felt compelled to answer when I saw the above post.

I have a recurring nightmare two-three times a week, that is always centered around suddenly finding myself being in a Kingdom Hall or at the bookstudy up the road and PANIC setting in. I CAN'T figure out how to get up and leave without having to explain myself. I wake up in a sweat and my heart racing while trying to figure out how to get myself out of the situation!.

My thread about my recent "meltdown" in real life...SO related to this panic.

A few nights ago, I did have (and do have) "nicer" dreams concerning the JW friends I used to enjoy being with---the other night it was about four of us gals climbing into a helicopter to go shopping together in a big new Mall. It was all smiles and comfortable feelings.

I haven't SEEN these particular "sisters" in more than seven years....but there I am....getting ready to go shopping with them as if it was the most natural thing in the world!

Dreams sure are funny things.....

Sorry...I didn't mean to hijack the thread....

hugs,

Annie...the Dreamer

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

My wife had a dream that I was cheating on her with Rachel Ray, I just calmly told her that I wish her dreams come true.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Worldly Andre....Let me interpret her dream: She either wants you to do more of the cooking around the house, or she wants you to get out of her kitchen!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit