How Would You or Did You Leave The Organization??

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• dawg
    dawg

These are powerful words you all....awesome, I couldn't stop reading

I remember when the light when off in my head, I was given a college scholarship and I wanted to go. My Dad and Mon discourgaed it, but I already knew the WT was full of manure. So i rented a trailor in my hometown, real cheap so I could afford to work at night and go to school. I worked unloading trailors, hard work. I usuall only had Saturdau and Sunday off so I damn well didn't use those days as a reason to go to KH or service... so I just quit going.

Well, Like many of you, I really hadn't had that much sex and partying and the like. College was soon to change all that as there was an endless supply at the University I attended... an endless supply of both... word got through that I was smoking pot, having sex, and what not and the elders called me.

JM, friend, elder I had known for a long time, used to work for and really admired called on the phone one day.... "me and another elder just want to come over and see how you're doing" I told JM that was bull he wanted to come over and see if the rumors about me was true "now isn't that so JM?" Of course I was right, JM was lying. So I told him that when he started telling the truth so would I. He also stated that he wanted to come over on Saturday-hell the Dogs were playing on Saturday. I told him he could come by and drink a beer-my cousin says i said "and have a few bong tokes" but I don't remember saying that, "but there wouldn't be time for any JW talk in the house that day" is something I said.... Basically, I told him I thougt the whole JW thing was bull and I didn't want to hear one more word about it ever again, and that was that.

17 years ago and I've only been to two meetings since. Once becasue my dad, who was a PO, was giving a talk he begged me to hear, the other becasue my lady wanted to check it out.. Oh, her reply "that is the stupidest shit I'vew ever heard" so we never went back.

• Purza
    Purza

I faded slowly over the course of a year. The elders came calling when a family member of mine ratted me, I moved away, never to be bothered by them again. Moving away was the best decision I made as it gave me a fresh start away from the org.

Purza

• cmobleness
    cmobleness

I guess I faded for awhile, moved a few times, but then the elders caught up with me and came to my house. They asked if I was smoking, duh...the ash tray was on the coffee table. I told them that I had no desire to be associated with the congregation and that I felt no loyalty to the JW since I did not beleive that my baptism meant anything since I only did it because that was what I was supposed to do at 16, not because I truly dedicated my life to Jehovah. Too many doubts for too many years. Then I became witness to how the elders covered up sexual abuse in the cong and I was out of there. I never heard back from them, got a letter or anything. Then in 1998, I began attending a Baptist church, something I never thought I would do. When my JW family found out, they labeled be apostate and have no contact with me. I am now a born again believer in Jesus Christ. Still struggle with all the JW junk inside my head, but it is getting better.

• helncon
    helncon

I did the i don't care anymore thing.

Just stopped going to meetings then moved out of the area.

Wnet back for a few years.

Then the elders came knocking.

DF a week later.

Time again.

Not got Baptised to prove i was a worthy person.

Would have just left.

Helen

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I am a single parent. My daughter was living with me at the time. It was the Sunday morning rush to get to the meeting. We were a little late so we just sat in the back room were the noisy kids were. There were no seats in the back. So we just sat in the back room trying not be noticed. Just then the attendant said we could not sit in the back room he found seats for us at the very front row. I felt like every one was staring at us and she felt very uncomfortable. After 5 minutes I whispered to her are you hungry? Go ahead you go to the car first and I will meet you there in 5 minutes. Took off my tie had a good breakfast at a restaurant and never went back to the gossip city again. That was over 10 years ago. I did the cold turkey thing, They started coming by for years but no one was never home. (that's strange). Now I have a big do not disturb sign on the front door. I guess they got the message. My kids got there keys and they just come in. That's the way it should be. GH

• evita
    evita

I was in my early 20's and did a painful fade. I had not believed in the religion for many years but I had no place else to go. I did not know how to survive in "the world." Still, I got to the point where I had to leave or go insane thinking I would waste my precious life and never escape. I didn't have a plan or even know I was "fading". This board did not exist and I knew no one who had left.
    I started by missing meetings for "work" reasons. Then I made friends at work and began to lead a double life. Ooh, that was scary. I nearly fainted a few times thinking that I would get caught and disfellowshipped.
    I moved to another town a short distance away. Rumors started to circulate and an elder/friend called to ask if he and brother so-and-so could pay a visit just to "talk about a few things". I said," If you're visiting in your jeans as a friend, okay. But not in your suits". I never heard from them again.
    Friends called to cry and tell me I was hurting them and Jehovah, and "breaking your mother's heart". It was a heart-wrenching time for me. I had to put on the facade of not caring when really I was breaking inside.
    I struggled for many years to become "normal". I was riddled with guilt over hurting my mother. I was isolated from my family. I was still quite indoctrinated in many ways although I did not believe in "the truth" anymore.
    The things that helped the most were: Moving to another, larger town. Attending college and getting a degree. Seeing a therapist during this time.
    What I regret: Not having this board to help me understand what was going on. I was very hurt, angry, and reactionary. I did not know how to deal with my mom and all the guilt trips. I struggled to make a new life for myself. In the process I irreparably damaged my relationship with my mother. I know it is the religion that was the real cause of this but I blamed her. I wish I had been more mature. Would it have made a difference?
    That was over 25 years ago and thinking of it still makes me cringe.
    Eva

• kwr
    kwr

Well I just did the home bible study so it was easy to say no thank you. The thing I noticed about the JW's is that they assert their beliefs and then justify it with some twisted scriptures from the bible. I could never get a satisfactory answer about not celebrating birthdays. Just because John the Baptist had his head cut off as part of a birthday wish doesn't justify not letting lil' Johnny from receiving a gift and cake on his Birthday.

The main thing about the JW's is everything is based on appearances. No beards for men and no slacks for women. With so many young people getting tatoos I imagine that it is going to be very hard to recruit new members.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I moved on the borderline between two congregations that share the same Kingdumb Hell. Sometimes I would go to the one I "belonged" to, and sometimes to the one that was in the territory I moved into. I was supposed to transfer, but I never did that. Instead, I sort of floated for a while. Then once that pattern was established, I started missing meetings altogether and for wimpy reasons.

This went on for several years, and one day I decided that I didn't like where I was headed. Get into the new order and find out that it's all men for me. That alone was enough to make me want to . So, I ultimately cut all the way back on meetings and did more dummy service until one day I decided that I was going to quit totally. I shredded a pile of Puketower and Asleep magazines that was more than 4 feet tall, and threw out all my bound volumes. That cost/benefit analysis was what ultimately led me to realize that it was not worth it to struggle to get into a sickening new order. And I wanted to do something to make sure I would not get into that puke order: apostasy.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Faded slowly then I decided it was better to come up front and give in a disassociation letter, I wanted them to be sure that I didn't want to have anything to do with them. If they wanted to keep in touch it was fine otherwise I couldn't care less.

• Nulite
    Nulite

Switched congregations. Told the new elders that they would not see me much and pretty much did a complete fade. I mail in my bogus service report every month for geo-political reasons. That keeps them quiet. My family is still on it and we are slowly giving everyone time to adjust to our new found freedom without the apostate label. This way the brainwashed relatives won't completely freak out.

NL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit