?Please explain Evolution to me in simple terms

by Guest with Questions 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

"People who do not believe in God usually want proof. They want to see God. I cannot give you that proof, and I admit it, not just here and now, but I have stated this on some other threads."

Yet you lambast evolution and refuse to believe it on so-called "lack of evidence." I see this double-standard with Creationism everywhere. Why do Creationists feel that evidence is so important when it comes to evolution, but refuse to apply that principle to their own belief? Because they feel they don't have to lift one finger to prove their position but put unreasonable demands on scientists, ignoring evidence that contradicts their pre-conceived conclusion.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>Things aren't either completely True or completely False based on evidence like a light switch marked "on" or "off". Truth and evidence are like a scale from 1 to 100.

So true. We're talking more about what's "likely" than what's "true."

>>I want to see those transitional species that are between monkey and man. The "they disappeared" excuse just won't cut it.

It's not quite accurate to say they "disappeared". They died off, but they left evidence of their existence.

>>They were supposed to be the superior species and they are nowhere to be found.

This is also not black and white, this "survival of the fittest" stuff. It really means "survival of the fittest in their environment at present". But environments change, sometimes rapidly. Competition changes. Think about automobiles. Could you have sold a hybrid car in 1965? If it wasn't huge and fast, nobody was interested. That environment has changed, so what would have been an inferior car is now a superior one.

The environment can change much more quickly than creatures can adapt to it. And if two different creatures are competing for the same resources in the same area (as two or more types of pre-humans would be), it's understandable that one type could win out over the other. It wouldn't have to be that way, but it's a believable scenario.

>>the superior transitional species dying off and the inferior species surviving, namely monkeys.

Monkeys have a different environment than humans. Humans have adapted to their environment, and monkeys to theirs. Remember when I said that humans aren't more "highly evolved" than other creatures? Humans arent "superior" to monkeys, we're just better adapted to OUR environment. (If you pit a human against a monkey in a living-in-the-trees contest, the monkey would surely prove superior.)

>>You see this doesn't make sense, because a brown haired 5ft tall person can quite happily mate with a 6ft tall blond person and produce beautiful babies that have charachteristics of both.

The poster that made this point was talking about "species" being an arbitrary line that we humans have drawn between animals. The point was that we could've drawn that line anywhere we wanted. We chose to draw it based on mating. Two types of creatures that can't (or won't) mate are called two different species, but that's just our label for them.

>>If we have evolved and adapted to our environment, why are we all still living together doing our respective jobs?

I don't understand this question. Can you rephrase it for me?

Dave

• Warlock
    Warlock
    "People who do not believe in God usually want proof. They want to see God. I cannot give you that proof, and I admit it, not just here and now, but I have stated this on some other threads."

Yet you lambast evolution and refuse to believe it on so-called "lack of evidence." I see this double-standard with Creationism everywhere. Why do Creationists feel that evidence is so important when it comes to evolution, but refuse to apply that principle to their own belief? Because they feel they don't have to lift one finger to prove their position but put unreasonable demands on scientists, ignoring evidence that contradicts their pre-conceived conclusion.

BD,

I said that I cannot show you God.

Can you show me Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal man?

As for lambasting evolution, there are people here, on JWD, that go on just about every paranormal thread that someone starts, just to tell people that what they saw or experienced was not real, or was their imagination. As for me, I have seen and heard, what I have seen and heard, and it was NOT my imagination. It was VERY real.

So, what I'm saying is evolution, the idea that man evolved from monkeys, is in your imagination.

That being said, I am, as stated before, going to take a closer look at some of the fossil evidence.

Warlock

• Warlock
    Warlock
    I note from your 70/10 SMA comment that you're a trader??? What do you trade? cheers pak

pak,

I trade stocks on the NYSE and NASDAQ, but I won't do the AMEX. I also do options occasionally.

I don't do currency or commodities, but someday I may try them.

I also look at the 10/50, 20/50, Chalkins Money Flow & momentum indicators. Then there is always the usual, like MACD and all the rest.

My problem, as with most of us, is disipline. I just started taking the 70/10 seriously enough to try it out, but it always the patience thing.

Have you read the new book by Curtis Faith?

What and where do you trade? You can p.m. me if you like.

Warlock

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Warlock,

Here is a list of some hominid fossils that have been found and the species that have been identified from them.

Fossils: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/specimen.html

Species: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/species.html

These are both linked from this page containing more information about human evolution:
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/

As Terry mentioned, these aren't "truths", just evidence that points to a reasonable conclusion.

And as someone by now must have mentioned, accepting evolution doesn't in any way mean rejecting God. Nor does rejecting God necessarily mean accepting evolution. They are entirely separate subjects.

Dave

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Can you show me Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal man?

As for lambasting evolution, there are people here, on JWD, that go on just about every paranormal thread that someone starts, just to tell people that what they saw or experienced was not real, or was their imagination. As for me, I have seen and heard, what I have seen and heard, and it was NOT my imagination. It was VERY real.

So, what I'm saying is evolution, the idea that man evolved from monkeys, is in your imagination

Urg! Honestly I don't know whether I actually like and relish threads like this, or just get a headache. Evolution is a FACT, seriously do some SCIENTIFIC STUDYING (this is not looking for websites to support your weak arguments against evolution). The theory part is working out exactly HOW evolution happens. Evolution occurs daily, Viruses evolve constantly (change their genetic structure) to overcome immune systems, Viruses reproduce at a FAR faster rate than humans so obviously they evolve quicker

As for the examples of hominids you have stated they no longer exist because they are extinct obviously, in much the same way the dinosaurs are (which I refuse to believe you would claim have not existed) There is actually quite a lot of evidence for a number of tool-using hominids now and more fossils being discovered all the time. This evidence and education is there for you (and others) if you could actually be bothered to look for it, of course that does lead to the risk that you might actually find out you are wrong and then all your preconceptions are screwed

To reiterate again on this thread, man did not evolve from monkeys, making statements like that just shows up your naivety and lack of scientific education

Apologies if this seems a touch blunt

x

• Warlock
    Warlock

To reiterate again on this thread, man did not evolve from monkeys, making statements like that just shows up your naivety and lack of scientific education

Apologies if this seems a touch blunt

M,

On an earlier post, I stated what we were taught all through school, namely, that man evolved from monkeys. If that thought has changed, then it's equal in value to 1975 and the Generation change of the WTS.

No apologies necessary. You seem like a decent fellow.

Warlock

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Warlock:

That's the supreme irony. You adamantly refuse to believe in evolution until you see a fish become a bird become a Neanderthal become a human and write a symphony right in front of your eyes, dismissing the overwhelming body of evidence supporting it, (real evolution that is, not your bizarre caricatures of it) and yet you seem willing, eager even, to believe just about any supernatural story that anybody at all comes up with regardless of how implausible or unsupported by evidence it is. Perhaps there's an emotional bias there influencing your judgment. It might be worth reflecting on that.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I stated what we were taught all through school, namely, that man evolved from monkeys

A high school biology course isn't going to go into much depth. It couldn't. Though I doubt the phrase, "man evolved from monkeys" was actually used, I could easily believe that impression was given.

Monkeys of today are ALSO evolved. Humans and monkeys share a common ancestor somewhere in the distant past, and both species have evolved from that into what they are today. Humans are not "highly evolved monkeys". Monkeys are not "less evolved humans". Both are equally evolved.

(That we're more closely related to chimpanzees than to monkeys is probably not material to the "man from monkey" question, in my opinion.)

Dave

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.
    On an earlier post, I stated what we were taught all through school, namely, that man evolved from monkeys. If that thought has changed, then it's equal in value to 1975 and the Generation change of the WTS.

Are you sure you were taught this in school? Or in a Kingdom Hall, it sounds like the anti evolutionary rhetoric give in ill informed JW publications. I don't know how old you are but I am now in my 30's and was never taught in school that man evolved from monkeys, that being said in school evolutionary science was very loosely skipped through

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit