If the sisters were allowed to wear pants...

by Angry_Kangaroo 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Angry_Kangaroo
    Angry_Kangaroo

It might be easier to dress modestly. Think about it, there is always admonitions against slits in skirts (which a lot of skirts have), too short dresses and skirts, etc. Not to mention not having to worry about someone peeping up your dress as you walk up the bleachers at the DC. Or the wind blowing your skirt up during service. I know the brothers are told to dress like whatever the buisness standard is in the area, but what about the women? Most professional women I see are NOT wearing dresses. Esp. not long flowy flowery dresses! They wear dress pants/button down shirt/ jackets. Most witness women I see dress like conservative southern baptists, esp. the older ones. Does anyone else agree?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I went to a southern baptist church in WA and the only long flowing dresses were worn by the military wives from the deep south. Most folks wore jeans and pants. Very conservative in many ways, but not at all stuffy. Except when the AC broke!

BTW, I bet the sisters would appreciate pants for field service. . .not all JWs have 4 doors or minivans! being in the back seat of a 2seater was hell! Or hades. Whatever.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

But other than all the positive things you mention, there really wouldn't be anything
    negative about the sisters wearing pants.

I don't want to fix the JW religion, I want to destroy it.

Stop thinking of positive changes with no real negatives.

No shortening meetings and reducing field service times.
    Let the witnesses skip the meetings and blow off the service instead.
    Let the sisters suffer in their skirts, wishing the stupid rule was gone.

Seriously, how is wearing pantsuits a problem? Are the sisters
    thinking they are in men's clothing? I don't think so. My wife loves
    to wear pantsuits to functions that aren't JW meetings. I even allowed
    her to wear them to a K.H. when we were out of town and she had a
    wardrobe malfunction (and I was a faithful elder dub). No lightning
    struck her.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Ha! Toward the end, I started wearing pant suits the the meetings. I worked at a bank and just didn't change after. When things were said about it I always said, "Well, we were told to follow the standard of business people in the local area and since I'm a business woman in the local area, I figured that wearing what I wore to work would be acceptable. Would you please show me in the Bible where it says I can't wear pants. And please give me one real reason other than "its just what we do" and I'll be glad to change next time." ...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The last time I step foot in a hall I wore pants...waited for someone to say something...got nothing. If I had to step foot in another hall I would wear pants again.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

that's how you can tell the women from the high control religions - long flowered dresses, long permed hair, perfect make-up. Stepford wives, in fact. One of the few things I liked about Hillary Clinton as first lady was that she just stepped up in her pants suits without any apology. She didn't want to be a Mrs. Reagan in designer skirts and jackets.

• still_in74
    still_in74
    give me one real reason other than "its just what we do"

that is so true! I had a PO that would open up the WT everytime there was a picture of the Gilead graduates and make a comment about their clothing and the length of their skirts. He'd say that this was "a model of how we are to dress".

One brother was being appointed an MS, his wife was wearing a skirt that came just below the top of her knee..... he was pulled aside before the meeting and told that if his wife didnt go home and change then he would not be appointed an MS!!!!!

If that had been my wife she would have lost it!!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I remember when women almost always wore dresses whether to work or to church. It may have the 1960's when that began to change. When asked why the women couldn't wear pant suits to the Kingdom Hall, I remember a brother commented that most women don't look good in pants. I think he meant that it you could see too much of the shape of the butt.

I did have a hard time with that though. I went from door to door during the freezing winter months wearing a skirt. Had to buy the warmest boots, wear leg warmers, thermal underwear and I still froze.

• blondie
    blondie

Re: If the sisters were allowed to wear pants...the brothers would expect to be allowed to wear beards...........

It's just a control issue to prove "you must obey because we are the FDS making all the rules, just because we are fools"

Blondie

• unique1
    unique1

There towards the end, I started wearing pantsuits. I would announce to my hubby who was already out, "I'm wearing this and I just dare somebody say something to me about it." No one ever did. I think they knew better. I knew there was no biblical basis for the no pants thing. They use that scripture that no woman should dress like a man, and the day I look like a man they can use that on me, but a nice feminine pants suit does not fit that scripture. Pharisees.

I also used to wear short skirts just to piss people off. God I was such a rebel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit